Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filling in form 1040NR?

Filling in form 1040NR?

Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filling in form 1040NR?

I have a couple of queries about form 1040NR that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

1. As a UK citizen and resident, I believe that for dividends I should use the Schedule NEC and not the Effectively Connected section.
However, the NEC section does not distinguish between Ordinary and Qualified dividends, it distinguishes between tax rate instead.
On looking at the IRS tax rate table for the UK, there are rates of 15% and 5% - are these the respective rates for Ordinary and Qualified dividends?

2. Along with the 1099 DIV form, I was sent a Foreign Tax Paid form.
Looking at the 1040NR form, I can see a Foreign Tax Credit on line 46 of the Tax and Credits section. Do I enter the foreign tax paid values here?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling in form 1040NR?

Are you a US citizen, green card holder or resident? If not, did you file a W-8BEN with the withholding agent?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filling in form 1040NR?

I only recently found out, from Steve_ on this forum, that I should have filed a W8BEN.
I took his advice and contacted the mutual fund company.
When I eventually got a response, they said that they had supplied enough information to complete the form.
So I'm left with details of Ordinary and Qualified dividends values that need to be put on the 1040NR, but unsure where to put them.