Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Freeeeeeezing.

Wikiposts

Freeeeeeezing.

Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:14 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freeeeeeezing.

England is unusually warm for this time of the year. The weather is really lovely here at the moment.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

45 degrees f here right now bbbrrrrrr. Bob how can you not have your heating on? We've had ours on for weeks set at about 72
I think spring's my favourite season here, but in the UK it's summer.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:21 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Autumn

It has its own wonderful colours

It has its own smell; people start to use fireplaces

Makes me feel cozy, I love wearing warm clothes and the feeling of having a hot cup of coffee when it gets cold, snuggling in bed, etc

The downside is how early it gets dark when the time changes and how dark it is in general as it approaches winter
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Even though it gets colder here, it doesn't always feel colder. You can go out in London, in November and with the temp. above freezing get chilled right down to the marrow of your bones. The cold is, generally, less humid and doesn't chill as badly, here.

That is correct it is normally very dry in winter...not a damp cold that gets right into your bones. The snow remains soft and powdery not slushie. Some days can be bitterley cold -30/-40F but the sun is usually shining and the sky is cloudless and bright blue, so its not as depressing as the British Winter. Public notices informing people not to be out of doors with exposed skin for more than a few minutes are often issued. On the other hand in NJ we often get several warm days 60'sF, sometimes even touching 70F. Its funny to see people walking around in shorts when the snow is piled up to 15ft high in the car parks.

A big problem is static electricity....turn on a light switch, close the car door from the outside...ouch. Sometimes you can hear the noise and see a blue spark.

Give me NJ winters over British winters any day of the week.

The long hot summers are my favourite time of year....if only there were no bugs.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 27th 2006 at 9:35 am.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Spring when I can start working in the garden, Fall for the turning of the leaves, and winter for skiing and other winter sports.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
45 degrees f here right now bbbrrrrrr. Bob how can you not have your heating on?...
I'm a tight wad...and want to see if we can hold out till Nov 1...I ain't looking forward to those winter oil bills...and when we do, we'll be setting to 62f
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:58 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling
I complain all summer about the heat.... and now I'm going to whine about the cold.

My poor daughter leaves before the sun even comes up (It's not to have you Mum drive you to school she says). At 6:50 am you need night vision goggles.

The puppy looks at me with a "You've gotta be kidding stare!" :scared:

I love the Autumn, pumpkins pretty coloured leaves... but not the cold.

What's you favourite season?
Florida season!! Sunny all year round!! Come get some sun!!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:16 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britvic
Autumn for me also, nice to see an American saying the word Autumn because I can never bring myself to say Fall
I'm not American!

But I do usually say Fall now.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:17 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Florida season!! Sunny all year round!! Come get some sun!!

My dad lives in Daytona and I might go down for his Birthday next month... That will definately make coming back to the cold worse.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:24 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Freeeeeeezing.

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling
My dad lives in Daytona and I might go down for his Birthday next month... That will definately make coming back to the cold worse.
You're lucky, you are coming to the sun, we have to fly North later tonight for a wedding in New Jersey. I am not looking forward to freezing my assets of in New Jersey and Pennsylvania over the weekend. :scared:

Hope you enjoy Daytona. We go in a few weeks too.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:25 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm a tight wad...and want to see if we can hold out till Nov 1...I ain't looking forward to those winter oil bills...and when we do, we'll be setting to 62f
That's what's nice about the NW after living in VA where the bills were a lot higher year round.
It doesn't seem as cold here and I find heating 1 hr a day keeps it warm all day and evening with only the gas fire sometimes on in the evening. But that would be rubbing it in which isn't nice
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Post Re: Freeeeeeezing.

Adios, must sign off and get to the airport. Have Fun, and turn on the heat in NJ & PA.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:27 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
I am not looking forward to freezing my assets of in New Jersey and Pennsylvania over the weekend. :scared:
But you're lucky some beautiful scenery good food and SEASONS as you are obviously missing out on that.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:17 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I've not got my heating on...its 37 outside so not that cold yet...its about 64 inside most of the house....I have a log fire in the living room that is about 69...
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I've not got my heating on...its 37 outside so not that cold yet...its about 64 inside most of the house....I have a log fire in the living room that is about 69...

69F inside....I'd be suffering from hypowhatsit. :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.