Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free UK Number Deal

Free UK Number Deal

Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:59 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Free UK Number Deal

Has any one else had any problems with this?? I set up my UK number and my friends and family all tell me they have tried to call but it doesn't work??

Oh well, better stick with EquiTalk.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:07 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free UK Number Deal

Originally Posted by rincewind
Has any one else had any problems with this?? I set up my UK number and my friends and family all tell me they have tried to call but it doesn't work??

Mine worked on the 3rd call, the previous 2 calls were all very poor static lines
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:58 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

No, but now I'm starting to have problems with Lingo.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

Go with Skype .... its great! 2c per minute. Last weekend was free calls to the UK ALL weekend to landline and mobiles.

And now you can buy a Skype WiFi phone so you don't have to sit at the computer.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My mum can't get that new number to work ...she just will not accept
that she does not need 001 in front of it ....
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
Go with Skype .... its great! 2c per minute. Last weekend was free calls to the UK ALL weekend to landline and mobiles.

And now you can buy a Skype WiFi phone so you don't have to sit at the computer.

Was just about to sign up on the free UK number deal - will let you know if it works for us...

Anyone heard anything about security issues on Skype? Wife's company sent an email round today saying that they're not allowed to have it on their work pc's due to security issues - if anyones interested, I can post the email, or you could wander over to my "IT Questions" thread that got moved to "The Lab" and its in full on there
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Was just about to sign up on the free UK number deal - will let you know if it works for us...

Anyone heard anything about security issues on Skype? Wife's company sent an email round today saying that they're not allowed to have it on their work pc's due to security issues - if anyones interested, I can post the email, or you could wander over to my "IT Questions" thread that got moved to "The Lab" and its in full on there
The company I worked for in the UK did the samething for the same reason with MSN - a couple of friends in IT told me this is because those sort of programs are likely to be the way that the next big viruses are spread.

I like skype but it does annoy me when 2 - 3 times a week I get some random person trying to contact me.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:18 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it seems I'm having the same issue as Ray. The muppets kept putting 001 at the front. Grrrrrrrr.

All working fine now and comes through better than EquiTalk did.

Tried Skype before. About as reliable as British buses.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

No problems at all. Reception clear as a bell. As said prevously getting them to dial it as it given to them took a lot of believing, no problems though.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Couldn't be doing with the hassle of using a computer to call people with Skype.

The Bizon card at : http://www.cards4calling.com/ is even cheaper @ 1.9c a minute... I've been using it for a couple of months, it's nothing short of fantastic; call quality is like calling someone down the street! The one for the other direction (UK->USA) is only 1.5c a minute IIRC.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it seems I'm having the same issue as Ray. The muppets kept putting 001 at the front. Grrrrrrrr.
I had a feeling your prob was the same...
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.jajah.com

Called the UK today and it cost me $0
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:18 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

All working fine now and comes through better than EquiTalk did.

Tried Skype before. About as reliable as British buses.
What prolems did you have with skype? we've had it about 4 months now, and not had any problems at all - quality is generally fine (apart form when I call my mum for some reason..), never had any incoming wrong numbers like suzimc mentioned, and its saved me a packet. The computers on all day anyway, and we've got Skype hooked into our home phone, and so not tied to the computer, so th einconvenience factor hs never surfaced - I guess an overseas emergency call in the middle of the night may be an issue, but thats about it.

Still want to get this free UK # though as not been able to persuade any of the relatives to sign up to skype - still a fair few luddites in Yorkshire
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 4:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think because when it first came out, till about v1.5 it was kack for anything that wasn't puter to puter, but then got better, and latest versions work really well...where I use to volunteer, they used it for inter office calls between buildings because it was free and was really good quality...

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
What prolems did you have with skype? we've had it about 4 months now, and not had any problems at all - quality is generally fine (apart form when I call my mum for some reason..), never had any incoming wrong numbers like suzimc mentioned, and its saved me a packet. The computers on all day anyway, and we've got Skype hooked into our home phone, and so not tied to the computer, so th einconvenience factor hs never surfaced - I guess an overseas emergency call in the middle of the night may be an issue, but thats about it.

Still want to get this free UK # though as not been able to persuade any of the relatives to sign up to skype - still a fair few luddites in Yorkshire