Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

free health care for children?

free health care for children?

Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: free health care for children?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Wow I didn't know that.
It helps pass the time between the sheep
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffie77
And in Wales, prescriptions are free for everyone.
They weren't from '87 to '99 because I lived just across the border into N Wales.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They weren't from '87 to '99 because I lived just across the border into N Wales.
It's fairly recent - around 3 or 4 years I think.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good...I thought I'd missed out on something there.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I would say about 3 years ago when it came in but you must live in Wales, no nipping across the Border, lots tried!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by traceym
I would say about 3 years ago when it came in but you must live in Wales, no nipping across the Border, lots tried!
I seem to remember news stories about it when it was first introduced, about people going across from Gloucestershire. If I remember correctly, prescriptions have your address on, so it's pretty easy to weed out the interlopers
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to remember news stories about it when it was first introduced, about people going across from Gloucestershire. If I remember correctly, prescriptions have your address on, so it's pretty easy to weed out the interlopers
Come home to a real fire, buy a cottage in Wales.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Shrewsbury and they were all trying it, very amusing at the time!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:06 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It is cheaper though
and they don't say : "oh no, you already felt a lump, therefore those tests were diagnostic and not preventative and therefore not covered by your employer's shitty insurance...$6000 please"
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

And starting April 2011, prescriptions will be free in Scotland too. They've been reducing the price since 2007. Last 3 years went from 5 to 4 to 3 GBP, then come April - free.

Interestingly, the big changes with US insurance providers, is the co-pay for a lot of prescriptions is higher than the walk-in price. This means it does pay to shop around. Wal-mart WILL charge you the insurance price if you are in their system. This is why I go to a local Walgreens with a fab pharmacy that will cost out each way and then either put it through insurance or simply have me pay pharmacy price. This is very apparent with generics, as they are about $10 without insurance, but $15 with my CIGNA co-pay. Sheesh.

As for free healthcare, I am surprised the number of US expats living abroad had some sense that Obama meant free healthcare. Many believe that! (Not understanding that his initiative was to ensure ACCESS to healthcare and insurance without quite mentioning that SOMEONE still has to pay for it, including the patient.)

Many states have children's healthcare initiatives, which are normally income-related. And many more states have sliding scale healthcare options for those who don't qualify for free programs, but still aren't exactly in the middle income ranges, either.

This is why those wishing to immigrate into the USA are advised to be sure they have health insurance sorted - either through a job or a spouse's job.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

hydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
One of you is a US Citizen since you were just at the US Consulate to get your kid's US Passport, so which one doesn't know about US healthcare??????????????
sorted it out now, the misses is the USC, im UKC. Didnt know much about it, but do now.