Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Covid Tests in Mail - Gov't Site OPEN NOW!

Free Covid Tests in Mail - Gov't Site OPEN NOW!

Old Jan 20th 2022, 5:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Covid Tests in Mail - Gov't Site OPEN NOW!

Originally Posted by tht
so a single person gets 4

a family of 8 gets 4

and someone with 2 houses gets 8

Not sure that has been thought through very well…
Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Precisely. And I hear that people resident in apartments are trying to order and being prevented from doing so because someone in their building has beaten them to it!
To be fair, bearing in mind that they need to limit the distribution somehow, limiting it to one per valid USPS residential address may be the only way they could do it - short of filling out a complex, individual application form. The scheme in the UK is based on limitless supply of tests, which may turn out to be wasteful & a money sink.

As for apartment buildings, it may be that some are coded wrong. I assume each apartment should be a valid residential address.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 11:35 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Probably most effective is your suggestion to donate the tests. If a person simply doesn’t order tests, there’s no guarantee that they’ll go to a more needful recipient.
That is probably true. I was thinking about lessening the demand, on the assumption that either the website or USPS itself would crash and burn under the deluge, and that the advertised 1bn tests Biden ordered are nowhere near being available yet.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
That is probably true. I was thinking about lessening the demand, on the assumption that either the website or USPS itself would crash and burn under the deluge, and that the advertised 1bn tests Biden ordered are nowhere near being available yet.
To the contrary - I placed my test package order Tuesday, per my post above.

Early this morning I received this USPS notification:

Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 2:00pm

Lightening fast...looks like Biden's making up for lost time
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Signed, sealed, delivered....

Here's what you get:

Old Jan 23rd 2022, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get two boxes of 2?
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 12:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Washington state is giving each household another five tests.
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 12:56 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

That is good to know. Did you need them yet?
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by postbox134
Did you get two boxes of 2?
Yes, exactly
Total of 4
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RICH
That is good to know. Did you need them yet?
Fortunately, no
Fortunate for ME, that is, because:
1)Although I've been pretty isolated, am fully vaccinated/boosted, and have had no Covid symptoms .......
2) But, if I did exhibit any - I'd be unable to use these tests !
They include a warning that it's unsafe to use if one "has had facial or head injury/surgery in the last 6 mos."
Sad to say - that applies to me.
Horrific accident only six weeks ago split my head open...15 sutures to face and gazumpteen stitches beneath that over my skull.
So, I guess if that didn't kill me, and if Covid doesn't catch me... just taking this rapid test might very well cause my rapid demise.
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Excellent NPR Report this morning with most up-to-date thinking re: the rapid Covid 19 Antigen tests...the ones government is now mailing out:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-tests-omicron
Old Jan 24th 2022, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Signed, sealed, delivered....

Here's what you get:

Ah those are decent. It's what I have been buying from Wyze and Amazon.
Old Jan 24th 2022, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
My wife ordered them but as a family of 5 I'm not sure how much use it would be considering you probably want to do 2 tests to confirm the first result. I know from January 15th your insurance is supposed to cover up to 8 at home tests per person per month. I just questioned my insurance about how that works and it seems they make you pay for them then re-imburse you so long as the test is an approved test, not used for work and you send them the receipt, barcode and fill out a form so they're probably hoping people will think that's too much hassle to save $8.
And that doesn't apply if you're on Medicare.
Currently - a Doctor's order is required for additional free tests.

So those at highest risk - get the fewest
Remain at highest risk and inadvertently put others there as well
Ignorance is NOT bliss
Old Feb 4th 2022, 12:20 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine today, but it's overkill as I live in Washington DC and the city government gives you free kits on demand basically.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 12:49 am
BE Irregular

I noticed in the photos above -Made in China. Same goes for the Honeywell N95 masks I bought off Amazon a few weeks back.
Is any of this stuff being made in America yet?
Old Feb 4th 2022, 12:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Strange. I ordered mine the same day as you, I believe, and ours didn’t come yet ..

It seems I ordered them Jan 18, got an immediate order confirmation from them, but silence since then.

Last edited by robin1234; Feb 4th 2022 at 1:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.