Reload this Page >

Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

aardvark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Hey BE,

I'm moving to the States this Friday and I'm having a major freak-out over what the hell I'm going to do regarding a car. I'm already stretched pretty thinly on finances, paying for the flight, accommodation until the end of the month, transport from the airport and considering costs to rent and put a deposit down on a room for the following month - not to even mention costs of travel/gas and food. I have nowhere to stay initially and have a very limited budget and timescale to find everything.

My biggest concern is a car. I'm moving to Orange County and will need a car. Full stop. Renting a car is super expensive, as I will be charged at least an extra $25 each day for any car I rent as I'm under 25. I want to buy and have a cousin who can help me out as long as it's a Volkwagon, but I'm needing it to be under $2000 and this obviously limits my choices a lot.

I start my new work on the 20th...2 days after I arrive. I'm staying around 12 miles away from where I'll work and was hoping to rent a car, but I've realised this is going to cost me near £400 for 2 weeks.

I'm young, without a whole lot of money as I was made redundant without notice at my last job and was on such a low salary that I was unable to save.

What should I do, BE? :S
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Originally Posted by aardvark
Hey BE,

I'm moving to the States this Friday and I'm having a major freak-out over what the hell I'm going to do regarding a car. I'm already stretched pretty thinly on finances, paying for the flight, accommodation until the end of the month, transport from the airport and considering costs to rent and put a deposit down on a room for the following month - not to even mention costs of travel/gas and food. I have nowhere to stay initially and have a very limited budget and timescale to find everything.

My biggest concern is a car. I'm moving to Orange County and will need a car. Full stop. Renting a car is super expensive, as I will be charged at least an extra $25 each day for any car I rent as I'm under 25. I want to buy and have a cousin who can help me out as long as it's a Volkwagon, but I'm needing it to be under $2000 and this obviously limits my choices a lot.

I start my new work on the 20th...2 days after I arrive. I'm staying around 12 miles away from where I'll work and was hoping to rent a car, but I've realised this is going to cost me near £400 for 2 weeks.

I'm young, without a whole lot of money as I was made redundant without notice at my last job and was on such a low salary that I was unable to save.

What should I do, BE? :S

Check out this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5#post10939755 for tips - if you can put a deposit down you may be able to get a car loan which should help you stagger the payments a bit (plus build credit history). Lesson learned to build up more reserves next time! There is always room to save (sorry, I sound a bit of a fuddy-duddy saying that, but it is true).

Hoffage

Last edited by hoffage123; Jan 11th 2014 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

I forgot to mention that I am only here for 18months. So I don't want to invest too much in a car as I don't know what will happen after that.

But thank you for the help, even though I'd read that thread before.

How would I be able to put down a deposit on a car with NO credit rating/history in the USA?
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aardvark
I forgot to mention that I am only here for 18months. So I don't want to invest too much in a car as I don't know what will happen after that.

But thank you for the help, even though I'd read that thread before.

How would I be able to put down a deposit on a car with NO credit rating/history in the USA?
You may find it tricky, but I have heard others manage it before - see the wiki's at the top of the forum on Living in the US for more guidance. It is up to the dealer if they agree to take you on (the loan may be higher interest etc).

Other than that, ancillary point - if you have nowhere to stay, this may raise eyebrows at the Port of Entry as they require an address where you will be staying usually. Also the lack of funds is concerning as well. Just something to be aware of when entering...

Hoffage
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies if some questions seem nosy but the more info you can provide the more forum members can give you useful input.

What's bringing you over for such a short time? What visa?
Why is the company not helping with your finances if they were willing to pay for a visa?
O.C. is an expensive area.
Where are you going to stay since you say you have nowhere to stay?
Why are you unprepared for this?

A car for under $2000? You're asking for trouble.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

aardvark...just remembered we chatted before. Good luck!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a car in Orange County for under $2,000. Our son recently purchased a Nissan Sentra for $1,500. He found it on Craigslist. I remember from previous posts that you will be working near the Irvine Spectrum, the place you are staying at that is 12 miles from work is that temporary or is that where you will live for the time you are in Orange County?

Which airport are you flying into LAX? There are shuttle services from the airport to the Irvine area but they are about $50.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, but buying something dependable, possibly with no warranty, from CL with no experience? Just be careful...
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, to clarify. I am being given a relocation allowance of $4000 and have more than enough personal savings to satisfy my sponsors and a fairly good credit card which I can currently use. The allowance however, has to be spent before I can be refunded otherwise it would be taxed. I was given the option but I preferred not to get the cash as I knew $4000 already isn't enough.

I have booked accommodation in a hotel for arrival, and an AirBnB for some time which can be extended, so I don't have nowhere, but nowhere with a contract as of yet.

So I do have an address and have to inform my J1 sponsors of any address change within 3 days. The AirBnB is in Costa Mesa, where I'll be working south of Irvine.

Hotscot, as you'll remember I'm on a J1 Trainne visa for 18months.

The company offered some apartments at the Irvine Spectrum, but at $1500 per month for a 6 month lease with no furnishings... I didn't really want to spend that amount of money when I know I can rent for $700-$900 on month-to-month so I had to opt out. The reason for this is after my last job staying in the south of England on a very small salary... I spent over half my wages on housing alone, so never had money to save. :\ I don't want this to happen for next time.

I've prepared as much as I can, but really a lot of people won't communicate with you if you're outside the country, especially for rooms for rent. I have a couple of promising viewings and I have a cousin who is going to help me so I'm not too worried - just more worried about transport.

Sorry if I painted it as a bit more bleak than it really is - I guess it's just the stress getting to me!

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hotscot, if I go VW my cousin is a CAR NUT and is friends with a really good VW mechanic so that's why I'm aiming to get one of those. I understand under normal circumstances $2000 is bad but as I'm only here for a year and a half - I'm not sure if I want to make a bigger investment.

Would a car dealership give me something better for 5k? For the area, my stipend is "comfortable" but I really don't want to be making big expenses without knowing the future.

I'm going from LAX but the company will arrange a taxi for me, like my last visit.

Sorry for being a bit all over the place. After getting my visa everything went "all go" and there is really only so much I can seem to do from this side.

EDIT: Also I'm sorry, but I've read the wiki a few times before so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on cars specifically. This is all I can find
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Travel...ars_in_America

Thanks.

Last edited by aardvark; Jan 11th 2014 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

$2000 is really bargain basement. I would be concerned about you having a dependable vehicle as insurance deductable/repairs/breakdown costs could wipe you out.
But since you have your cousin that will help.

Pulaski on the forums knows a bit about cars...

It's scary exciting time but living in that area will be a lot of fun and wait to you check out Dana Point and Laguna Beach...great locations.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

I really want to rent a car but my other concerns are as such:

1. If I'm living/working in the USA - I don't really qualify as a tourist. Will the car company knowingly rent to me for over 10 days knowing this or will I have to pose as a tourist?
2. Even if I have work authorisation - as I won't have a permanent address can I even do this?

There are so many ifs and there is no way for me to know without going - which is already too late.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I rented for the first two months They don't care about your status as long as you have a credit card and valid address linked with the card.

However, renting with insurance=fortune.
I imagine renting would be @ $60.00 per day minimum.

I wonder...12 miles from workplace...could you cycle or bus?
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

I'll look into the bus but I severely doubt I could cycle it. I could potentially cancel the place I'm staying and make it within walking distance... but that will cost me $120 a day to stay in. I just simply can't afford that.

I found this thread however:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=747453&page=2
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:18 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

12 miles... Scooter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.