Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaking Out over Getting a Car

If you live near a Zipcar lot, you could potentially try that - although that could potentially be like $80 per day.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:20 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

The AIG inbound scheme supposedly offers cheap long term car hire. Try calling them. It's $440 to join for a year, but they at least quoted me for car insurance before I joined and it was significantly cheaper. It's an option at least.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Ford engine in it.
The engine was Mazda was it not?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A trashed engine after 60,000 miles? .... Sounds to me like a reason never to consider/ recommend a Mazda!
I'm sure you could find examples like this for most manufacturers. No reported problems for the 3 so if you're gonna rule one out, it had best be for a different reason than reliability ""
Old Jan 12th 2014, 1:06 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
The engine was Mazda was it not?

I'm sure you could find examples like this for most manufacturers. No reported problems for the 3 so if you're gonna rule one out, it had best be for a different reason than reliability ""
Nope, ford engine in 2006. The current engine crop are not Ford. I saw the Ford stamp on it when I was having a look underneath. 2.3L engine with 16 psi of boost. Guess it was too much for it.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you live and work in the down of a city there is little doubt that you will NEED a car! Until you are to the point of buying look at how much of an option public buses are also see if there is a carpool in the place you work.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

aardvark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, I will speak to my company tomorrow to see if there is a carpool service I can join, but I feel I'll be pretty limited without a car. The bus is a possibility, but it also will take like 1-2 hours each way every day from 12-15 miles away (I would like to live somewhere with a social life as if I'm only here for 18 months I might as well get the most of it by being close to the action).

Definitely a possibility, but really not a long term thing I'd imagine. I've decided that I plan on renting from that company for the first month and a bit and scout out what options are available to me, also giving me time to get my SSN, temporary CA license and speak to colleages about what is generally done in the area.

Also, thank you so much for all the advice so far. I really, really appreciate it. Any little help I can get is a life-saver as I really am a bit overwhelmed by it all! xD I'll look into that AIG service and maybe give them a call. $400 for a year seems really reasonable and if they could get my US credit card or even just save on insurance for me that would be awesome.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's a plan. Let us know how you get on please?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Will do. I've got a lot of people supporting me all the way through this so I understand how lucky I am. Think it's gonna be okay.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Bus and bicycle combo? Some buses have a bike rack on the front, similar to a bumper bar, so your bike travels with you
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

I honestly don't think I'm that confident of a cyclist... I am not very good at it and I've heard it can be quite dangerous cycling in Orange County... (unless there are dedicated cycling paths off the road). :s
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:43 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
You may find it tricky, but I have heard others manage it before - see the wiki's at the top of the forum on Living in the US for more guidance. It is up to the dealer if they agree to take you on (the loan may be higher interest etc).

Other than that, ancillary point - if you have nowhere to stay, this may raise eyebrows at the Port of Entry as they require an address where you will be staying usually. Also the lack of funds is concerning as well. Just something to be aware of when entering...

Hoffage
I had no where to stay when I arrived on my L1. I wasn't even asked the question by the rather nice BP chap upon inspection.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a nice little 20 year old Honda in my garage that we bought for $1200.
Apparently that makes it no more than scrap.
It starts first time every time and runs as reliably as you'd expect from any Honda. It helps that I know them inside out but I wasn't here to check it over when bought.
I bought one the same for my mum as a daily for 120 of out British pounds... 8 years ago and still passes it's MoT's without worry.

The long-winded point being...
If you know what you're doing (or have someoe non hand that does liek the OP) then buying a very cheap car can often be a very good choice.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"buying a very cheap car can often be a very good choice."

It's what you end up doing when you have very little choice, I wouldn't say that it's a very good choice and certainly not often.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 13th 2014 at 1:06 am.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
"buying a very cheap car can often be a very good choice."

It's what you end up doing when you have very little choice, I wouldn't say that it's a very good choice and certainly not often.
Not always, I've bought very cheap (relatively speaking) cars simply because that's the car I like and wanted. Have done so for the last 10 years or so.
Another example was my daily driver that cost 350 quid, lasted 8 years and did 100k miles with 20k of them being on race tracks being abused.
Without my abuse that car would still be going now and be reliable at very little cost.
I've had 15 examples of this same car and 6 of them are still on the road. 6 were bought as scrappers. I've had 5 at one time (4 on the road) along with 2 other cars so not exactly because I had 'very little choice'. None cost more than 750 pounds but all roadworthy ones lasted well over 2 years with minimum maintenance.

The point is still that if he has someone who knows their stuff then a bargain and a good buy can be had in one go. It's easily possible.

Aardvark, whatever you end up doing I hope it all goes well for you.
Be determined to make it work and that's half the battle.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, having been in the not much to spend on a car position over the years, I've found that buying a used car that was reliable and fairly priced was through my car garage mechanic. Perhaps someone in your new office can recommend their guy. Most garages do have or know of a customer who is selling their car and because they were the person who cared for the car can vouch for its condition.

My daughter just bought a 1998 Lexus, full leather, sun roof, stereo system, 110,000 miles from my mechanic for $4500. She loves the car and he gave her a darn good warranty with it to boot.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 13th 2014 at 2:18 pm. Reason: Ooops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.