Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Found Brit food in Long Island / NY

Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Found Brit food in Long Island / NY

Originally Posted by Celsius
Doesn't your local Borders sell foreign mags and newspapers?
Well, yeah, but not tabloids. And you sometimes get 4-4-2, but have never seen WSC.

Now, Borders...one of those reasons to love being in the US. Sure, it's a somewhat different concept from a little bookstore in Hay-on-Wye, or the wonders of Foyles, but find it way too easy to spend too much time and money theer.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:39 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman

Fanfucking tastic!!!

I can wait to drive 5 hours and use £50 worth of gas to buy a packet of Golden Wonder Prawn cocktail chrisps.
Or you could just arrange a Brit gathering and meet up half way. That way you could ask someone to bring you some. But then again, some may not be happy to oblige if you are going to be sarcastic
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:16 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ben
Or you could just arrange a Brit gathering and meet up half way. That way you could ask someone to bring you some. But then again, some may not be happy to oblige if you are going to be sarcastic
Why would I arrange a Brit gathering? I came here to get away from Brits, especially those with no appreciation for sarcasm.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:55 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Well, yeah, but not tabloids. And you sometimes get 4-4-2, but have never seen WSC.

Now, Borders...one of those reasons to love being in the US. Sure, it's a somewhat different concept from a little bookstore in Hay-on-Wye, or the wonders of Foyles, but find it way too easy to spend too much time and money theer.
There's Borders in the UK. There's been branches in central London for at least six years if I'm not mistaken.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There's Borders in the UK. There's been branches in central London for at least six years if I'm not mistaken.

NC Penguin
there all over the place in the UK....

as for borders over here selling foreign stuff...depends, one in Portland has loads, like the mail, mirror...no sun with the boobs though...but well expensive, it's a few bucks a paper...but the borders in bangor doesn't have anything, has UK editions of some magazines like FHM, Maxim, Front and if lucky Computer Arts at $15 a mag...so sod that *l*
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There's been branches in central London for at least six years if I'm not mistaken.
Well, when I turned up over here in '96, I thought it was rather good
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:36 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Why would I arrange a Brit gathering? I came here to get away from Brits, especially those with no appreciation for sarcasm.
Was there a winky smilie after that or not? Who does not appreicate the subtleties?

Brit gatherings are great fun for the sarcasm because at least we can throw it back - but then again, maybe not everyone will appreciate that point
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:51 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ben
Was there a winky smilie after that or not? Who does not appreicate the subtleties?

Brit gatherings are great fun for the sarcasm because at least we can throw it back - but then again, maybe not everyone will appreciate that point
I dont do "smilies". I do "rollseyesies" and "winksies"....I would do the pissed off little red face but it just doesnt carry the same weight as a well chosen and upper case expletive followed by exclamation marks.....TWAT!!!!! See what I mean?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Where on LI is everyone? I lived in Huntington for three years. Currently in NJ but planning to return soonish.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Where on LI is everyone? I lived in Huntington for three years. Currently in NJ but planning to return soonish.
I'm in New Hyde Park border of Nassau and Queens - not sure if we're gonna stay though depends where I end up working
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:58 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
In Huntington township. Elwood school district We lived in NJ and then moved to the island and much prefer it over here.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Peachbythebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tip Andy, sounds like it's worth the drive (we're in Long Beach).

Our local Stop and Shop has a fair amount of British food - it's in the 'Irish' section.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peachbythebeach
Thanks for the tip Andy, sounds like it's worth the drive (we're in Long Beach).

Our local Stop and Shop has a fair amount of British food - it's in the 'Irish' section.
Ooh nice! We know where to come now after hanging out at the beach all day

I went in Stop n Shop and couldn't find bugger all there but the one near me is renovating..found chiense, italian etc but no irish
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:20 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peachbythebeach

Hi Peach - I thought I had already told you about Fairways. sorry if I forgot.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Hey I tried Super stop n shop out - they got pretty much the same stuff as Wegmans - found that stuff under the coffee isle hehe. The only two countries they had under the euro section were italy and spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.