British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Found Brit food in Long Island / NY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/found-brit-food-long-island-ny-381636/)

Andy_LongIsland Jun 26th 2006 7:39 pm

Found Brit food in Long Island / NY

Woo I found some British food finally close to us in Long Island. I thought they had a much better selection (and better choice) than Wegmans. I picked up some Marmite, Robinson's Barley Lemon juice (great for summer!) and some Lucozade :) They got loads of chocolate, PG Tips, weetabix, soups, custard and all that malarky too - near enough a whole section :)

The one I went to was in Plainview NY but they have a few in NY. Here's the link :)

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/

One thing to note though is the food was down a syrup drinks isle for some odd reason so was a little hard to find :)

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2006 7:52 pm

Re: Found Brit food in Long Island / NY

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Woo I found some British food finally close to us in Long Island. I thought they had a much better selection (and better choice) than Wegmans. I picked up some Marmite, Robinson's Barley Lemon juice (great for summer!) and some Lucozade :) They got loads of chocolate, PG Tips, weetabix, soups, custard and all that malarky too - near enough a whole section :)

The one I went to was in Plainview NY but they have a few in NY. Here's the link :)

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/

One thing to note though is the food was down a syrup drinks isle for some odd reason so was a little hard to find :)

Its strange isn't it where some of these British goods are hidden in the stores. My local supermarket had me fooled last week...they'd moved the Heinz baked beans and put them with the rest of the baked beans. :rolleyes:

Ben Jun 26th 2006 8:31 pm

The one in Plainview is good, Andy. Been there many times :)

They also stock seasonal things too like selection boxes at Christmas and Easter Eggs in Spring. If you also check out their refrigerator section they sell Fromage Frais both plain and the fruit variety. :)

Also I have seen them have things like the British Heinz Beans on offer.

Andy_LongIsland Jun 26th 2006 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Its strange isn't it where some of these British goods are hidden in the stores. My local supermarket had me fooled last week...they'd moved the Heinz baked beans and put them with the rest of the baked beans..

I'm really happy with the amount that do. I didn't think any of them would other than near Canada so I'm a happy guy today :D

Originally Posted by Ben
The one in Plainview is good, Andy. Been there many times :)

They also stock seasonal things too like selection boxes at Christmas and Easter Eggs in Spring. If you also check out their refrigerator section they sell Fromage Frais both plain and the fruit variety. :)

Also I have seen them have things like the British Heinz Beans on offer.

Ooh good I like them! They also do Cadburys cream eggs i'm told - but I'm staying away from them now I joined LA Fitness ;)

Maybe we'll bump in to you sometime - I'm still horrible with the US trollies they just don't seem to turn as easy hehe :D

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2006 10:51 pm

Maybe we'll bump in to you sometime - I'm still horrible with the US trollies they just don't seem to turn as easy hehe :D

You mean 'carts'. LOL When we first came here I asked where the trollies were and nobody knew what I was talking about.

With a little time and patience you can actually find quite a bit of British food and chocolate out there.

Ben Jun 26th 2006 11:03 pm

You know what we could do, Andy, is pop just another couple of exits west, nip into Ikea and nick a couple of their trollies and hide them in a secret place near Fairways that only you and I know about ;)

To be honest, it's rare I pop down there now because our local stop and shop stocks just about everything I need if I run out of the supplies brought over from the UK by relatives or hubby and I. We can also get Irish herb sausages in Huntington and our fix of cumberland sausages at a pub in Huntington. And this weekend I popped to the Huntington farmers market and they had the best new potatoes I have tasted since leaving the UK :D

Ben Jun 26th 2006 11:06 pm

With a little time and patience you can actually find quite a bit of British food and chocolate out there.

That is very true. Having been here nearly 8 years we now feel we don't really 'crave' much because we have either found replacements or can get what we need. I think we are very lucky, though, because of living close to NYC.

You mean 'carts'. LOL When we first came here I asked where the trollies were and nobody knew what I was talking about.

That is soooo true. Even after all this time I end up calling it the wrong thing to the wrong person :rolleyes:

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2006 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
You know what we could do, Andy, is pop just another couple of exits west, nip into Ikea and nick a couple of their trollies and hide them in a secret place near Fairways that only you and I know about ;)

To be honest, it's rare I pop down there now because our local stop and shop stocks just about everything I need if I run out of the supplies brought over from the UK by relatives or hubby and I. We can also get Irish herb sausages in Huntington and our fix of cumberland sausages at a pub in Huntington. And this weekend I popped to the Huntington farmers market and they had the best new potatoes I have tasted since leaving the UK :D

We were only saying the other day that we can't find new potatoes here. You can buy small potatoes but not the new ones we are used to in the UK.

Andy_LongIsland Jun 26th 2006 11:58 pm

They don't understand a dam word I say here anyway - like I'm speaking another language (I thought I had a clear accent *mutter mutter*) :)

Originally Posted by Ben
You know what we could do, Andy, is pop just another couple of exits west, nip into Ikea and nick a couple of their trollies and hide them in a secret place near Fairways that only you and I know about

Bet you'd find some Sainsburys ones somewhere - they seem to get dumped EVERYWHERE :)

Ere you don't know anywhere that sells Shreddies do ya? Some arrived in the post for me today and they looked like they'd been danced on :)

I wanna get some English tabloids to read - wanna read some drivel and Newsday just ain't doing it :D

So Huntington eh? The wifes going for a job interview there Wednesday I'll get her to pick me up soon sausages them - not that it's Bar-B-Q weather yet *shakes fist at thunder clouds* :D

Ben Jun 27th 2006 1:31 pm

I've got used to the American version of Shreddies but I will certainly keep a look out. And I know what you mean about the tabloid papers. Newsday is probably one of the better ones, though. We don't bother buying newspapers but you can get them in the city. When we lived in NJ I had a neighbour who picked me up the Sunday edition on a Monday morning. I eventually compromised and just got what I wanted off the internet :)

:mad: Yes, the weather this weekend was horrible. And we are supposed to get some more rain later this week. If your wife gets chance get her to pop into the 'Wild by Nature' on main street as you leave Huntington heading west. At the meat counter they have a variety of foods and they often have Irish sausages. I bet they would work in a frying pan too :D

Jerseygirl, if you ever fancy a run over this way let me know and I'll pick up some new potatoes. They were the real stuff with the skins that just fall off when you rub them to clean them. And they didn't taste soily at all. They are grown out east on the island. I wonder if you could get them at a farmers market in the south of NJ?

Jerseygirl Jun 27th 2006 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
I've got used to the American version of Shreddies but I will certainly keep a look out. And I know what you mean about the tabloid papers. Newsday is probably one of the better ones, though. We don't bother buying newspapers but you can get them in the city. When we lived in NJ I had a neighbour who picked me up the Sunday edition on a Monday morning. I eventually compromised and just got what I wanted off the internet :)

:mad: Yes, the weather this weekend was horrible. And we are supposed to get some more rain later this week. If your wife gets chance get her to pop into the 'Wild by Nature' on main street as you leave Huntington heading west. At the meat counter they have a variety of foods and they often have Irish sausages. I bet they would work in a frying pan too :D

Jerseygirl, if you ever fancy a run over this way let me know and I'll pick up some new potatoes. They were the real stuff with the skins that just fall off when you rub them to clean them. And they didn't taste soily at all. They are grown out east on the island. I wonder if you could get them at a farmers market in the south of NJ?

Thank you. I'll take a look at the farmers market. :)

dinosaur Jun 27th 2006 3:46 pm

I wanna get some English tabloids to read - wanna read some drivel and Newsday just ain't doing it

Try going into Manhattan - went in to see the England game a couple of weeks back and was surprised to see the range of UK papers and magazines at the newstands (Grand Central and in the Village) - even When Saturday Comes - have a subscription, but to see it on an NYC news stand was unexpected...

Think when I first came over I may have noticed the range of stuff available in the city, but been here so long, and living in the suburbs, have worked out how and where to get essentials. However, when you see something you don't expect, it's a nice surprise.

Celsius Jun 27th 2006 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Try going into Manhattan - went in to see the England game a couple of weeks back and was surprised to see the range of UK papers and magazines at the newstands (Grand Central and in the Village) - even When Saturday Comes - have a subscription, but to see it on an NYC news stand was unexpected...

Think when I first came over I may have noticed the range of stuff available in the city, but been here so long, and living in the suburbs, have worked out how and where to get essentials. However, when you see something you don't expect, it's a nice surprise.

Doesn't your local Borders sell foreign mags and newspapers?

Rushman Jun 27th 2006 4:24 pm

Found Brit food in Long Island / NY

Fanfucking tastic!!! :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

I can wait to drive 5 hours and use £50 worth of gas to buy a packet of Golden Wonder Prawn cocktail chrisps. :rolleyes:

Andy_LongIsland Jun 27th 2006 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
Doesn't your local Borders sell foreign mags and newspapers?

Ooh I'll keep an eye out for both :)