Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Form 8802 process

Form 8802 process

Old Jun 6th 2015, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough
Default Form 8802 process

I have recently submitted Form 8802, with US Individual 2002, to the IRS and am wondering a) if I did it right, and b) what happens next.

Based on another thread I have just seen, I may have wasted my time and money by submitting 8802 before starting to claim my pension. However, even if my first attempt fails, I would like to be in better shape to understand the process next time.

On form 8802 I entered the HMRC address as the place for the IRS to send 6166. Was this correct?

if the answer to the previous question is "yes", how will I know when form 6616 has been sent? Will the IRS notify me? Will HMRC notify me of receipt?

How will I know when my pension providers have received notice of my non-resident tax coding?

How long does all this typically take?

Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Form 8802 process

It was few years ago I did mine, and I cannot remember receiving any acknowledgement from the IRS. Did receive notification of tax code adjustment from HMRC but that took some months. First I noticed was when tax stopped being deducted from my pension.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aceastwood
I have recently submitted Form 8802, with US Individual 2002, to the IRS and am wondering a) if I did it right, and b) what happens next.

Based on another thread I have just seen, I may have wasted my time and money by submitting 8802 before starting to claim my pension. However, even if my first attempt fails, I would like to be in better shape to understand the process next time.

On form 8802 I entered the HMRC address as the place for the IRS to send 6166. Was this correct?

if the answer to the previous question is "yes", how will I know when form 6616 has been sent? Will the IRS notify me? Will HMRC notify me of receipt?

How will I know when my pension providers have received notice of my non-resident tax coding?

How long does all this typically take?

Thanks
I submitted my 8802 to the IRS last week together with the US 2002 Individual form. The 8802 asks for the Residency certificate from the IRS, they attach the 6166 to the US 2002 Individual (per the box at the bottom of page 1), and mail it to HMRC. I know the IRS have received the forms because the $85 fee for application has been debited to my account. On the application it does say that one should apply at least 45 days in advance of needing it. This leads me to believe that the IRS will take at least 45 days to action.

I was late in submitting these forms, and have already received on private pension payment but I'm not sure if tax has been deducted or not as I don't know what rate of exchange was used when calculating the pound to dollars.

It's a good job we're retired - all this form filling really cuts into my gym time.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

The IRS cashed my check and it is just coming up to 45 days since then. That is why I am wondering if I will find out whether they have processed the form or not.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

As you're so worried about this - why not just call them?
The IRS form 8802 Instructions provide a specific phone number - which is not the regular IRS number.
Put your mind at rest

Any anecdotal replies you receive here - will be just that.
When your application is processed will depend on what the backup might be at the time.

Can't see that it'll help you...but I just looked into my file and found the following:

I faxed the HMRC US-2002 together with form 8002 to the IRS on 1 December.

The first of several private pensions (annuities actually) - which 'till then did not have NT status - paid out, per the Annuity terms, on 25 January.
That was exactly 8 weeks after I'd submitted the required paperwork.
No tax was withheld on it, or on the others which subsequently paid out.
And I'd add the following with regard to pay-out timing:
a) The 8 weeks noted above - included Xmas/New Years - times when govt. offices were shut
b) Fact that my NT payout occurred after 8 weeks - doesn't mean it could not have happened even sooner.
The payout date was determined by terms of my policy.

HMRC send you a tax status notification each year for each different pension or annuity you may hold.
I believe it arrives in the post sometime in April or May.
And it will confirm the NT status of each one.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Sailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond repute

The IRS cashed my check and it is just coming up to 45 days since then. That is why I am wondering if I will find out whether they have processed the form or not.
OK - just received my 'pay slip' from my private pension administrator. The amount credited to my account did not have any tax taken out - even though I have a take # of 1060L. The reason no tax has been taken out is that the total of all my pensions from the UK still falls below the maximum personal income allowed before taxation begins.

If you're in the same boat, I'd stop worrying. I need not have submitted the 8802 or US 2002 as my UK income falls below the cap.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

I am not particularly "worried". I would just prefer to be able to track the process as my preference is to start drawing my UK pension as soon as the tax position is resolved. It will probably be large enough to incur UK taxes in 2015/16, depending on when I start withdrawals.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

I am not particularly "worried". I would just prefer to be able to track the process as my preference is to start drawing my UK pension as soon as the tax position is resolved. It will probably be large enough to incur UK taxes in 2015/16, depending on when I start withdrawals.
Understood.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

An update: I received my NT coding today. As I filled in the forms on April 29, the process took a little over 5 months.

It did not matter that I applied without having received any pension withdrawal yet and therefore did not have a P60.

One thing I learned - whenever I called HMRC, a recorded message said they were very busy and the wait could be 35 minutes. On every occasion I got through in less then 30 seconds.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 6:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick observation. If you are a UK citizen and your UK taxable income will be less than your personal allowance you don't need to file form 8802, 6166 or the US-Individual 2002. Just file an R43 with HMRC

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...7/R43-2015.pdf

If you only get UK state pension payments they are paid without any tax deducted and the basic pension is below the UK personal allowance so there will be no tax to pay without ever having to resort to the tax treaty.