Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Forgot to hand in US departure card!!!

Forgot to hand in US departure card!!!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

samran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forgot to hand in US departure card!!!

Hi,

Sorry if this is not quite the right place to ask this question, but a couple of years ago my wife (NZ citizen - living in London) when on holiday to the US and entered under the visa waiver scheme. However, when she departed the US 9 days later the airline did not take out the green I-94 departure form. Once back home she thew the stapled form away, not thinking anything of it.

We are planning a trip to the states soon, but worried that because she did not hand the form back in, she will not be allowed in as it will appear that she has overstayed in the US - even though she didn't.

Has anyone here ever been in the same situation? Were you allowed back into the US on subsequent visits?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forgot to hand in US departure card!!!

Originally Posted by samran
Hi,

Sorry if this is not quite the right place to ask this question, but a couple of years ago my wife (NZ citizen - living in London) when on holiday to the US and entered under the visa waiver scheme. However, when she departed the US 9 days later the airline did not take out the green I-94 departure form. Once back home she thew the stapled form away, not thinking anything of it.

We are planning a trip to the states soon, but worried that because she did not hand the form back in, she will not be allowed in as it will appear that she has overstayed in the US - even though she didn't.

Has anyone here ever been in the same situation? Were you allowed back into the US on subsequent visits?
You are supposed to notify them or something - the same thing has happened to me twice when on the visa waiver and no one has said a thing to me so you should be OK. Mind you with these things you just never know!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:26 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I got yelled at once by immigration for the same thing. They were really quite unfriendly. However, since it was still in my passport at the time, they eventually just took the old I-94 and let me in.

As for you... who knows?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ruslan124 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I have lost count of the number of times I have not returned the departure form in the last 4 years (more than 10 less than 20). I travel regularly to the US and it has had no effect. I would confidently say don't worry about it.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 2:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case, take some proof that since your last journey to the USA you have since returned home and carried out day to day business outside the USA.
Bank transactions
credit card receipts
even mortgage information

remember, the burden of proof is on you.

take some proof you left and they should be fine.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 2:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I recall this question comes up every so often in the immigration related forums. Please search in both US Visas and the US Immigration forums in British Expats.

NC Penguin