Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Foreign Tax Credit Form 1116

Foreign Tax Credit Form 1116

Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

AJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really niceAJP1 is just really nice
Default Foreign Tax Credit Form 1116

Anyone have any experience of Form 1116 claiming Foreign Tax Credit in the US? I'm seeking to plan my affairs before moving over and trying to identify the most appropriate ways of dealing with financial transactions.

Form 1116 identifies the amount of foreign tax accrued or paid in a US tax year versus total income in that year both in the US and overseas. Anyone know how this works with income generated prior to the US tax year (i.e., say in November 2006) accruing a tax obligation in the UK in April 2007 (on filing a self assessment), being payable by January 2008? The 1116 asks about foreign-sourced income in the US tax year in which the tax is paid or accrued (in this case arguably 2007 or 8) which, if nil, results in a fraction of allowable foreign tax credit percentage of 0/x - i.e. nil.

Is this a scenario that simply negates the credit leaving the itemized deduction as the only option?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:10 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign Tax Credit Form 1116

Originally Posted by AJP1
Anyone have any experience of Form 1116 claiming Foreign Tax Credit in the US? I'm seeking to plan my affairs before moving over and trying to identify the most appropriate ways of dealing with financial transactions.
All I know is that when we had the option of doing the Foreign Tax Credit or the Foreign-Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555), the latter was MUCH easier to figure out and we had no problems with it whatsoever. Not sure if that helps you, though.

~ Jenney