Reload this Page >

Forced IRA liquidation

Forced IRA liquidation

Old Sep 20th 2018, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

tenyearsafter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forced IRA liquidation

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum business, so please excuse any etiquette mistakes until I get the hang of it.

I'm a UK citizen living in the UK. I lived in the US for 12 years. During that time, I paid into a 401k. On leaving the US ten years ago, I rolled it over into an IRA because I was no longer paying US taxes. This has gone fairly well until this week, when I received a letter from my US financial institution that they will no longer service IRA accounts for residents of certain countries, including the UK. They are giving me until mid December to figure out what to do with it or else they will take tax, early withdrawal penalties and mail me a cheque for the rest. Possibly I may be able to avoid the taxes due to the US-UK tax treaty, but what I really want to do is to roll it over into another IRA or similar to avoid any penalties and keep it growing until I retire. I'm also hearing that HMRC may want up to 55% of it if I brought the balance to the UK as cash.

I'm thinking I may not be the only person facing this situation. I would be interested to hear about anyone else who has faced or is facing it and what can possibly be done about it.

Thanks!
Old Sep 20th 2018, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forced IRA liquidation

You'd likely want to do a direct transfer rather than a rollover.

The reason is that a rollover will mail you a check minus the witholding and then you deposit that and have to make up the rest temporarily.

Direct transfer you don't have the money in your accounts so it's for the whole amount.

Many brokers offer what's called ACATS for transferring online and it takes about 5 days.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

That is really tough. No experience with this. We are U.K. citizens living in the U.K. but are also US citizens, with IRAs in the US. This applies to myself, wife and son, all with IRAs and Roth IRAs. We moved our IRAs and 401ks to Vanguard before we moved because they said they allowed existing customers to continue to have accounts with them when they relocate overseas. I hope what you are experiencing is not going to be a standard across the industry.

it is possible I think that if you do have to liquidate your IRA and bring it to the U.K. that it would count as a lump sum and only be taxed in the USA, but someone more knowledgeable would have to chime and say what the U.K. tax situation will be.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
You'd likely want to do a direct transfer rather than a rollover.

The reason is that a rollover will mail you a check minus the witholding and then you deposit that and have to make up the rest temporarily.

Direct transfer you don't have the money in your accounts so it's for the whole amount.

Many brokers offer what's called ACATS for transferring online and it takes about 5 days.
The challenge will be finding a broker that will be prepared to accept a new non Resident client.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

The challenge will be finding a broker that will be prepared to accept a new non Resident client.
Yeah, you're right
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a similar previous thread on this subject, I think the person has a Fidelity IRA. I will see if I can find the previous thread.

Are Fidelity closing non-resident accounts
https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/frozen-401k-ira-901989/

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 23rd 2018 at 3:07 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tenyearsafter
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum business, so please excuse any etiquette mistakes until I get the hang of it.

I'm a UK citizen living in the UK. I lived in the US for 12 years. During that time, I paid into a 401k. On leaving the US ten years ago, I rolled it over into an IRA because I was no longer paying US taxes. This has gone fairly well until this week, when I received a letter from my US financial institution that they will no longer service IRA accounts for residents of certain countries, including the UK. They are giving me until mid December to figure out what to do with it or else they will take tax, early withdrawal penalties and mail me a cheque for the rest. Possibly I may be able to avoid the taxes due to the US-UK tax treaty, but what I really want to do is to roll it over into another IRA or similar to avoid any penalties and keep it growing until I retire. I'm also hearing that HMRC may want up to 55% of it if I brought the balance to the UK as cash.

I'm thinking I may not be the only person facing this situation. I would be interested to hear about anyone else who has faced or is facing it and what can possibly be done about it.

Thanks!
Can you name the financial institution ? Might help others who may have accounts with them to take preventive measures before leaving the US.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if these people could help.

https://thunfinancial.com/home/ameri...s-closed-2015/

I know little about this organisation, but it you're near London, it may be worth a visit.

https://www.americansabroad.org/aca-events/

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 26th 2018 at 6:35 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar situation, but by keeping my head low, my account was frozen rather than closed.
This means that I can't do any dealing, but I retain the tax-deferred status.

Perhaps you could negotiate with your institution so that you change the account status to frozen; this would have the advantage, if you keep it open until your are 59 1/2, of not having to pay the penalties.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not sure if it's against the rules, but it would be nice to know which companies are doing this so others can be prepared.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Dear all,<br /><br />I'm pleased to say that I was finally able to resolve my IRA situation and move the account to a new institution and hence avoid the liquidation. I attempted to share the details so that those who were facing a similar situation could also avoid this. However, this has been forbidden by the moderator, so if you wish to know more, it looks like you will have to contact me directly.<br /><br />Thanks!
Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tenyearsafter
Dear all,<br /><br />I'm pleased to say that I was finally able to resolve my IRA situation and move the account to a new institution and hence avoid the liquidation. I attempted to share the details so that those who were facing a similar situation could also avoid this. However, this has been forbidden by the moderator, so if you wish to know more, it looks like you will have to contact me directly.<br /><br />Thanks!
I am very interested to know who you were able to transfer your 401K to, as I am sure others are, but until you have made at least three (?) posts you can't access private messages. Maybe if you reply to this post with at least the name of the investment manager, the mods will allow it to stand?
Old Mar 26th 2019, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am very interested to know who you were able to transfer your 401K to, as I am sure others are, but until you have made at least three (?) posts you can't access private messages. Maybe if you reply to this post with at least the name of the investment manager, the mods will allow it to stand?
+1
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beraider
+1
+2
Old Mar 26th 2019, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Yes, private messages are blocked for now. However, please note that in my case, we were dealing with an IRA, not a 401k. As you may know, these are not quite the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.