Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Forced IRA liquidation

Forced IRA liquidation

Old Mar 26th 2019, 10:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forced IRA liquidation

Originally Posted by tenyearsafter
Yes, private messages are blocked for now. However, please note that in my case, we were dealing with an IRA, not a 401k. As you may know, these are not quite the same thing.
Right, but whether you have an IRA or a 401K and need to transfer it, it is going to be to an IRA, so the issues are going to be very similar or identical, …. Unless you are moving between jobs, in which case it might be possible (though rarely a good idea) to transfer an old 401K to the 401K of your new employer, but then if you were employed in the US with access to a 401K then you wouldn't have the problem that you were facing anyway.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 4:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

One is able to contact the OP via a BE email . Just as for a PM tap the username for the drop down menu and select - email. .
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

We have previous threads concerning financial institutions freezing or closing accounts when the account holder has moved back to the UK. We also have many occasions where people are unable to open a new account in the US when they are resident in the UK. In many of these instances the financial institutions have been named. So I am confused as to why, in this instance, the institution closing the account and/or the one opening a new account for a non-resident cannot be named. That would be extremely helpful information to many. Transferwise is often recommended (I have done so) and I have also recommended AJ Bell in the UK who will open an account for a US resident. Is there some change of policy?
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
One is able to contact the OP via a BE email . Just as for a PM tap the username for the drop down menu and select - email. .
Which then exposes my email address to the person I am messaging, so not at all the same as a PM!
Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
We have previous threads concerning financial institutions freezing or closing accounts when the account holder has moved back to the UK. We also have many occasions where people are unable to open a new account in the US when they are resident in the UK. In many of these instances the financial institutions have been named. So I am confused as to why, in this instance, the institution closing the account and/or the one opening a new account for a non-resident cannot be named. That would be extremely helpful information to many. ….
And further more, this appears to be another case of the "warm welcome" issue - someone joins BE, tries to share some highly pertinent information and it gets deleted before anyone gets a chance to read it and the poster gets accused of spamming! Way to go BE!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2019 at 12:00 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying nothin'
Old Mar 28th 2019, 11:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Transferwise is often recommended (I have done so) and I have also recommended AJ Bell in the UK who will open an account for a US resident. Is there some change of policy?
Nope. People are very welcome to recommend a service as long as they aren't linked to that service in any way. Same site rules around advertising as always.

HTH.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pleased to say that I was finally able to resolve my IRA situation
and move the account to a new institution and hence avoid the liquidation.
I have just seen this post, and would very much like to find details of the transfer.

If it is not possible to name the new institution, can you give details of the process you had to
go through, and were there any pitfalls?