Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

food, diet and shopping for groceries

food, diet and shopping for groceries

Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:51 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: food, diet and shopping for groceries

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hey what's a chinese-buffet infact what's a buffet ...not been to one of those..
Are you taking the michael? Don't they have those down south?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
It is where the obese people eat. If you're not obese, you're not allowed in.

don't think i've seen buffet food..... if it's loaded with msg then no wonder the poor sods that eat there are fat
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sarah
Are you taking the michael? Don't they have those down south?

hiya nope not taking the michael just not heard of buffet food....can't imagine.... is it like family style dining
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:04 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya nope not taking the michael just not heard of buffet food....can't imagine.... is it like family style dining
Lots of restaurants have buffet style eating, it is mainly different foods, meat dishes, salads, desserts etc.,in hot/cold plates on counters and you just help yourself. Also some hotels do buffet breakfasts where you just fill up your plate with whatever you fancy.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
Lots of restaurants have buffet style eating, it is mainly different foods, meat dishes, salads, desserts etc.,in hot/cold plates on counters and you just help yourself. Also some hotels do buffet breakfasts where you just fill up your plate with whatever you fancy.
ok the pennies dropped yep seen it in hotels, buffet breakfasts...must say not seen or heard of a chinese one or anything else except when in a hotel for breakfast...
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

StephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to behold

God! The only buffet I like is Chinese! You get to try what you want all for one price..although I can barely go the second time around because I am usually full after the first time....I can't get over the people that go back time and time again...I guess they get their money's worth though!

Oh I also forgot a good pizza buffet..CiCi's pizza. Not sure where all they have them but they had them in Missouri when I lived there All the pizza you want and a drink for around $5!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

surfsbabe will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry I am rather late to this topic but in reply to the original post, I am Australian, have been here for two years and I am still blown away by the poor quality of produce in the supermarkets here.

The only place in my area (Santa Monica), to get fruit and veges that are fresh and of decent quality is the farmer's market and slightly less fresh but at premium prices is at Wholefoods or Wild Oats where the produce ought to be wrapped in gold leaf with the prices they charge.

I am surprised at the lack of variety of meats and fresh seems to be unheard of. Even at Wholefoods the meat is stored uncovered in the diplay cases and so is discoloured from exposure to the air. Same with their prepared foods that they serve you, all sitting there open to the air and looking withered and dry like it could've been there three weeks or more. In my local Vons I have several times asked how often they put out fresh tomatoes and am assured it's daily but they have no answer for me when I then ask how it is that so many of them are mouldy. I could go on and on about this.

Bread and milk are scary the way they keep for literally weeks and what goes into the orange cheese doesn't bear thinking about but it cannot be good for you.

I am thinking of investigating the local co-op, I am hoping that their produce will at least be fresh and maybe even organic too.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cinnabar
Try being a vegetarian in the States

Try being wheat and dairy intolerant in the States! I feel for you because the concept of not wanting (or being able) to eat something is alien to most Americans it seems. When I say to someone "I cant eat wheat" I get "well can ya eat this bread/roll/pizza then?"...

And dont get me started on the whole meat and food industry.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by surfsbabe
I'm sorry I am rather late to this topic but in reply to the original post, I am Australian, have been here for two years and I am still blown away by the poor quality of produce in the supermarkets here.

The only place in my area (Santa Monica), to get fruit and veges that are fresh and of decent quality is the farmer's market and slightly less fresh but at premium prices is at Wholefoods or Wild Oats where the produce ought to be wrapped in gold leaf with the prices they charge.

yep i agree ..the prices are not cheap here if you want quality. there's just the two of us so i shop at wholefoods and we eat mainly fish and the guys in there know me and tell me what's fresh or previously frozen....oh where's my little white van that comes around twice a week in our village in surrey with all fresh fish caught that very morning.....lol been too spoilt that's for sure