Job Hunting

Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

stuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to allstuart & serena is a name known to all
Default Job Hunting

Hi,

My husband is trying to find employment with the government offices in America but is having trouble finding a position due to him needing an H1b visa. A couple of the offices have said they would enquire but we are not getting much response back.

My husband is an Environmental Health Officer (which by now I think most people on here are aware), does anyone have any ideas where he could also look for this kind of employment. He has experience within Food Safety and Health and Safety, not to mention all the other bits that go with EH work.

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Serena
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting

Well if you haven't already asked in the visa section...

SOL for anytime soon on the H1B generally, won't be able to apply till next year for the visa for an Oct start....government jobs aren't easy to get unless you already have a greencard anyway...

best bet would be find a company in the UK that has offices in the US and work there for a year or so and get an L1 transfer...
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart & serena
Hi,

My husband is trying to find employment with the government offices in America but is having trouble finding a position due to him needing an H1b visa. A couple of the offices have said they would enquire but we are not getting much response back.

My husband is an Environmental Health Officer (which by now I think most people on here are aware), does anyone have any ideas where he could also look for this kind of employment. He has experience within Food Safety and Health and Safety, not to mention all the other bits that go with EH work.

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Serena
He may be ineligible for a lot of US government jobs because he is not a permanent resident (note present tense).

Has he looked the professional body in the US that represents people working in environmental health? Also, if he has any professional qualifications in EH, he should check to see if they're recognized in the US.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:43 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

All the Federal jobs I was interested in required you be a US Citizen
It is years from now until I can apply for naturalization.

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
He may be ineligible for a lot of US government jobs because he is not a permanent resident (note present tense).
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
All the Federal jobs I was interested in required you be a US Citizen
It is years from now until I can apply for naturalization.
Most are, but you can work for the post office on a greencard...and there are some others, but probably indirectly working for the government.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Most are, but you can work for the post office on a greencard...and there are some others, but probably indirectly working for the government.
Most of them seem to want at least a degree of security clearance too.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by suzimc
Most of them seem to want at least a degree of security clearance too.
yeah, but you don't need a greencard to get it, though it does make it easier, and you certainly won't get a very high level of clearance without a greencard/citizenship, and even then, that might not help...
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, but you don't need a greencard to get it, though it does make it easier, and you certainly won't get a very high level of clearance without a greencard/citizenship, and even then, that might not help...
And from what I've heard it still takes quite a while to get it too....
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Job hunting is very hard over here, even for most of us "Aliens", who have the correct credentials.

The government is most certainly the wrong place to look for your husband, as mentioned, best bet would be an international consulting company or similar.