Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Driver's License - K3 Visa

Florida Driver's License - K3 Visa

Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:51 am
Ambria

Default Florida Driver's License - K3 Visa

Anyone on a K-3 have information about obtaining a Florida driver's license?
What is needed?

I was at the office and this lady told me my husband would have to bring his
passport, I-94, and INS papers all in order. She stressed - INS MUST BE IN
ORDER. Then she proceeded telling me about they had to have an Affidavit of
support in the papers and it could not be a blood relative.....I question
this, because it sounded so ridicules to me and if INS accepted the
affidavit of support and approved it, why should it matter to them?

She also went on and said if the INS papers were not in order, that they
would deport my husband back...again, I question this since INS has granted
him a K3 visa and why would they send him back if he has all his papers to
be here?

Did this lady NOT know what was going on?? Bad information?

She said he would have to go to a DATE class - okay, this I
believe...............

Anyone been there, done that before?????

Thanks!

Ambria

Old Apr 19th 2003, 3:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Driver's License - K3 Visa

Here is the florida driving licence dept web site

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

you can of course go to a different office and most likely get a different response...Ray6
Old Apr 19th 2003, 1:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Driver's License - K3 Visa

Originally posted by ray6
Here is the florida driving licence dept web site

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

you can of course go to a different office and most likely get a different response...Ray6
Non-United States Citizens

Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth and social security number (if issued) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

Immigrants
Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-151 or I-551); or
I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or
Non-Immigrants

Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.

The following documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card or other INS document.

I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit
I-512 Parole Letter Accepted
IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.
All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.
Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.
All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.
Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.
If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

k9esp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: fl drivers license

Sounds to me the lady at DMV was not very helpful. Experiences here in Orlando and surrounding areas of Central Florida have been great. All that was asked is Marriage Cert, Passport, Current International License showing picture I.D and current BCIS papers showing legal presence or pending case being processed which is sufficient.

Read the following link which you may want to print out and take with you in case of trouble on your next visit to the local DMV. It may be that some staff are reading their memo's and others aren't.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet...tin005-02.html

Good Luck!
Old Apr 21st 2003, 11:54 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey! Sounds a bit much for a license!!! I was told by several people at the DMV in Ft. Lauderdale that to get a license (on a K1), I had to apply 30 days before my I-94 expires. As I didn't apply right away, I was thinking of waiting til I get my EAD card in June, but after reading k9esp's post about showing docs to prove our case is pending, I might just talk to them and see what they say. I assume receipts would be sufficient evidence? We'll see what they say.... Thanks for the tip, k9esp.
Kate. xx