Florida

Old May 23rd 2004, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

jennifur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Florida

Hi

I have been browsing this forum for ages and finally decided to join and register.

My husband and I are considering a move to Florida soon. We are in the early planning stages and are looking at various parts of Florida. Let me just say here that I am well aware that there are other parts to the USA, and that Florida isn't the only state. We just like it. The thought of warm weather and beautiful sea really does it for us.

We are an American/UK couple, so we don't have any questions about how to get a visa.

We would like to hear from anyone who lives/has lived in Florida. Please tell us your general area, any opinions you may have about it, and whether or not you would recommend it to someone else.

Thank you in advance.

Jennifur
Old May 23rd 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

So long as you know u have to get a K-3 spouse's visa, you can take your time waiting for them to come through.
Old May 23rd 2004, 2:22 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Only ever visited Florida for a holiday but have friends in Tampa.

We like to visit. Don't know if I could live there but our friends love it. We wouldn't rule it out, though. Just don't know if I could cope with the summers. Two weeks is OK but not 6 months!
Old May 23rd 2004, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Doc

Thank goodness, we have our visa situation sorted. We really don't have to worry about that aspect of the move. I do feel for those out there who are going through. I do know what a nightmare it can be.

Hi Ben

It could be that a few years in old Blighty has warped our senses a bit. Myself, I grew up in the sweltering heat, so no probs for me--in the hottest months, you just live in the A/C. Husband seems to think that he'll be ok with it too.

We've looked at Tampa and might consider areas outside of it, like Clearwater. Sarasota is also of interest.

Thanks for your input guys.

Jennifur
Old May 23rd 2004, 2:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
So long as you know u have to get a K-3 spouse's visa, you can take your time waiting for them to come through.
You know better ..US/UK couple = DCF

I live about 40 miles north of Tampa...
Basically the further south you go the warmer it get
and the futher south you go the more expensive it gets..

Depends a bit on your ages...Big cities are noisy and crowded
but lots to do...
Old May 23rd 2004, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ray

Guess I could have been more specific.

We are in our early 30's and don't have children. We are kind of boring really. We love the outdoors. We both like fishing, walking, playing with pets outside, etc. Neither of us are really city people, so that is why we aren't looking at Tampa itself or Miami. We have pretty much excluded the east coast of Florida, except for outside the Jacksonville area.

In short, we are interested in finding a medium-sized city within short driving distance to a nice beach, with a not- too- bad crime rate, and nice people.

Thanks again.

Jennifur
Old May 23rd 2004, 3:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Jacksonville is a bit too far North for me.. it gets a bit too cool in the winter.... I agree the gulf coast side it a tad better than the atlantic side... just a personal preference ...from what you say ..consider looking from say a mid point being Tampa ..go north and south for about 50-60 miles each way and I am sure you will find an area to suit you ..
For a Florida only forum try http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/floridadays/index.cgi
Run by nice people ...

Last edited by ray6; May 23rd 2004 at 3:14 pm.
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:28 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jennifur

Looks like you might like be the sort of couple that would like Tallahassee.
We have lived here for about 4 years.
A great place to live, not too big but has every thing you might need.
Low crime, inexpensive housing and not too far from the beaches.
The nearest beaches are about a 30 min drive. But further on at about an Hr are the beaches of the gulf coast. St Georges Island is spectacular.
As for the outdoor life, there are wonderful lakes rivers and State parks all within a 30 min drive.
I think the only downside is the fact that wages are low. But the cost of living is so much less than down South.
Tallahassee is the State capitol so there are plenty of goverment jobs along with the 3 universitys in the city you should have no problem finding employment.
What sort of fields do you both work in?
Maybe I can advise you on work availability in your areas.
If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.
All the best
Steve & Donna
Old May 23rd 2004, 10:02 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by excpomea
Hi Jennifur

Looks like you might like be the sort of couple that would like Tallahassee.
We have lived here for about 4 years.
A great place to live, not too big but has every thing you might need.
Low crime, inexpensive housing and not too far from the beaches.
The nearest beaches are about a 30 min drive. But further on at about an Hr are the beaches of the gulf coast. St Georges Island is spectacular.
As for the outdoor life, there are wonderful lakes rivers and State parks all within a 30 min drive.
I think the only downside is the fact that wages are low. But the cost of living is so much less than down South.
Tallahassee is the State capitol so there are plenty of goverment jobs along with the 3 universitys in the city you should have no problem finding employment.
What sort of fields do you both work in?
Maybe I can advise you on work availability in your areas.
If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.
All the best
Steve & Donna
You make it sound so good I think I should visit myself

How are the bugs?
Old May 24th 2004, 12:17 am
Just Joined

mross2514 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Naples

Hi Jennifer,

We live in Naples. Although very expensive in a lot of areas, great opportunity for work, on the coast and plenty to do.

We live close to the interstate but have 3 acres of ground, kids and dogs love it.

Yes it is hot in the summer but you very quickly get used to that.

Naples is growing very fast but is still really a small town at heart, you soon find that out in business when everybody knows everybody else.

We did visit Ocala this year and I would love to move there, gorgous rolling hills and oak trees but a fair drive from the coast.

Good luck in finding a place you will be happy.

You can have a look at Naples on the web cam at www.naplesnews.com

Michelle
Old May 24th 2004, 12:30 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
You make it sound so good I think I should visit myself

How are the bugs?

LOL, forgot about them
None about at the moment but I'm sure they will put in an appearance sometime soon.
They can be a problem, the mossies can be a pain but we spray and fog and this seems to keep them under control.

I forgot to mention the weather, we have 4 seasons. Winter gets down to 32 dec F. Summer gets upto 110 deg F with 100 % humidity. (But only for 4 weeks or so)
Spring and Autum are absolutly fantastic. 80 in the day, 50 at night. Almost perfect.
Old May 24th 2004, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

You say that you are not city people and so are not looking at Tampa, but if you visit you will find that Tampa does not have that big city feel at all. I consider it a large town really. I currently live north of Tampa, but have lived both east and west of it, worked in it, partied and gone to university there in my 15 years in the area, so if you have any questions, please ask away!

FYI -- I came across a great website which I think may really help Brits in their quest to find the perfect community in the US. One of the culture shocks for myself in coming to Florida was the fact that you have to drive EVERYWHERE! The article talks about "walkable communities" and many of the author's favs are found here in Florida:

<http://www.walkable.org/article1.htm>

Good luck!

Last edited by yorkshirelass; May 24th 2004 at 2:43 am.
Old May 24th 2004, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Wow, what a response.

My interest has been ignited for a few areas now. I am getting so excited just about exploring different areas!

I don't have much time to write at the moment (work beckons), but invite you Floridians to keep plugging away for your town.

Thanks again.

Jennifur
Old May 24th 2004, 1:38 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!
I'm in the Jacksonville area, or to be more specific, St Augustine 20 miles or so south. It's great here, it definitely does not have a big city feeling, but lots of history and things to do. The city center is nothing like the rest of Florida and looks more mediteranian in style thanks to the Spanish.

Oldcity.com
Old May 24th 2004, 1:54 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by jennifur

Neither of us are really city people, so that is why we aren't looking at Tampa itself or Miami. We have pretty much excluded the east coast of Florida, except for outside the Jacksonville area.
I live in Clearwater but work in Tampa. Tampa does not really have a big city feel about it, plus the fact that Ybor City rocks, makes it a great place to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.