Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We need to be in the NW. I had thought about flying into London and driving up because sometimes the price is better.
But I don't really want that drive at the end of a long flight or again at the end of the holiday.
Done that once or twice...also flown into Heathrow and then up to Manchester. I would do neither again...it puts too much time on the journey. I will only fly from Newark direct to Manchester.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:40 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We live 500 miles away from Toronto and it take 7 1/2 to 8 hrs...sticking to the speed limit. Becareful of the border crossing sometimes you can drive straight through...another time it can take a few hours.
I hadn't thought of the border bit. We are 325 miles away.
We are driving up to Syracuse next weekend and we have been told to allow about 5 hours (in normal weather conditions).
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:42 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Done that once or twice...also flown into Heathrow and then up to Manchester. I would do neither again...it puts too much time on the journey. I will only fly from Newark direct to Manchester.
It would waste too much precious time when I could be on the Wirral.

We haven't driven in the UK for nearly 3 years but that North/ South journey was always so unpredictable and I don't suppose it's changed much.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I hadn't thought of the border bit. We are 325 miles away.
We are driving up to Syracuse next weekend and we have been told to allow about 5 hours (in normal weather conditions).
It takes us around 3 1/3 to 4 hrs to get to Syracuse (approx 240 miles)...it's halfway between here and Toronto. That's non stop driving...maybe a quick 5 min bathroom break. Bearing in mind our journey from home to Toronto is motorway all the way.

The reason the borders are a problem is because of the USD vs the CD...loads of Canadians flock over the border into the US to take advantage of the cheap US prices. There is also an outlet centre and mall right off the Lewiston crossing. One evening we waited 3 hrs to cross into Canada...that was 10 pm to 1 am. Obviously rush hour is busy and Sunday evenings. The Niagara crossing is a much quieter crossing of late.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 15th 2008 at 7:57 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hell, I didn't think about time to cross the border. Pants!

Doris, it stinks that Pitt has such a crappy airport, doesn't it? When we moved up here from VA I told my mum that there's an international airport so she could come right here. Tosh! At her age she really doesn't want to be changing 3 flights.

I forgot you'd be traveling to the Wirral too. 2 of us trying to get there from Pgh! If we ever move house again, I'll be checking nearby airport flight routes to help me chose where I live!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason the borders are a problem is because of the USD vs the CD...loads of Canadians flock over the border into the US to take advantage of the cheap US prices. There is also an outlet centre and mall right off the Lewiston crossing. One evening we waited 3 hrs to cross into Canada...that was 10 pm to 1 am. Obviously rush hour is busy and Sunday evenings. The Niagara crossing is a much quieter crossing of late.
I always fly to Heathrow from Ottawa, even though I live in the United States. Ottawa is about an hour and a half from here. Air Canada have a very reliable and comfortable flight every evening, we're flying mid-April this year and the price is about $750 each including all taxes and fees; so, not super-cheap, but pretty reasonable, even with the higher Canadian dollar. Our border crossing, Ogdensburg-Prescott, is super easy in both directions. Ottawa is the quietest, most stress-free, laid-back international airport - I recommend it!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:13 pm
TCM
Just Joined

TCM is an unknown quantity at this point

Try kayak.com. By far the most comprehensive flight search website I've found.

However, if you have to travel in the summer, you are looking at some serious cash for 4 people, regardless.

Quick search for early June, mid week flights, to regional UK airports the best you'll find (direct flight) is floating around $1k each. In my experience, regional airports are always more expensive than flying to a main hub (Heathrow vs Manchester, Cleveland vs JFK for example)

Virgin has flights for under $700 from JFK, Jetblue hops from Cleveland to JFK running around $140 - a little cheaper, but not much.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by danfan
Oh hell, I didn't think about time to cross the border. Pants!

Doris, it stinks that Pitt has such a crappy airport, doesn't it? When we moved up here from VA I told my mum that there's an international airport so she could come right here. Tosh! At her age she really doesn't want to be changing 3 flights.

I forgot you'd be traveling to the Wirral too. 2 of us trying to get there from Pgh! If we ever move house again, I'll be checking nearby airport flight routes to help me chose where I live!
I fly Continental to Manchester...in the 12 years we've lived here prices haven't gone up that much for off season. Of course you now have several hundred dollars taxes and fees on top of that. Are you restricted to flying in the summer months...this is the most expensive time to fly.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks TCM, I'll try that. Never thought of Cleveland either,

Jersey, yes summer's really the only time. The kids get only 4 days off for Easter (last year they only only ONE day!) and only 5 for Christmas, and of course no half terms. One week is just not enough for a trip that far.
We already took them out of school for a few days over Thanksgiving to visit family in TN so school want a really good reason if we take them out for anything else. Plus my son is struggling to pass this grade and I think taking him out for 2 weeks would be really tough on him. Unfortunately.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deleted this post because my question didn't make sense!

Last edited by danfan; Feb 15th 2008 at 9:10 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

I have found in the past that it is cheaper to book a separate London to Manchester flight than trying to get a direct flight to Manchester - I guess the only problem with this is maybe a risk if the inbound flight to London is delayed - worth making sure that it is a reasonably long stopover.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

I've always found that booking a flight that far away is always going to be expensive. I always wait until about 3-4 months before the flight and generally save a boat load of money.

Not many people are booking this far in advance and so there is no pressure on the airline to fill the plane. Its like stocks, just watch it everyday and hope to buy at the lowest price.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
We were planning a trip back to UK last summer and I recall seeing quite a few flights priced around $700 each incl taxes. Alas, we couldn't go but are planning a 2 week trip for this summer and I kinda based the budget on last year's prices.

But, OMG - I just looked online at several websites and I can't find anything for under $1100 with taxes, more like 1300-1500 each and some of those have 7-8 hour waits in stopover airports (since Pittsburgh INTERNATIONAL airport doesn't actually have any international flights ggrrrr). There are 4 of us traveling, add in accommodation and I'm going to be broke!

Am I just searching wrong or has anyone else noticed this huge price rise?
We are planning our first trip back this summer, since moving here 4 years ago and I'm astounded at the prices. We won't be purchasing our tickets until next month.....but I'm hoping I'll see a reduction in prices by then. At this point I don't even care what airlines we fly on......I'm sure I'll regret saying that!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:03 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Aer Lingus is promoting a 'Fare Sale' until August on its website.

I don't know if these prices would work for you? You could choose from NYC or Washington Dulles.....but presumably would need to then book a dirt-cheap flight with Ryanair to Manchester....?

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obe...D=0&Category=3
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

That website kayak.com is very good at bringing up many options and I've been using that to look at different options. Since we're thinking of travelling in about 4 months, I think now is a reasonable time to start looking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.