Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

We were planning a trip back to UK last summer and I recall seeing quite a few flights priced around $700 each incl taxes. Alas, we couldn't go but are planning a 2 week trip for this summer and I kinda based the budget on last year's prices.

But, OMG - I just looked online at several websites and I can't find anything for under $1100 with taxes, more like 1300-1500 each and some of those have 7-8 hour waits in stopover airports (since Pittsburgh INTERNATIONAL airport doesn't actually have any international flights ggrrrr). There are 4 of us traveling, add in accommodation and I'm going to be broke!

Am I just searching wrong or has anyone else noticed this huge price rise?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:17 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

I don't think that it is the actual fare that is increasing, rather its the multitude of taxes that keep getting added. I was looking at the fares from Boston to London in July and the base fare is only $528 but the total taxes are $350 on top of that. This is actually a good deal, based on the fare to tax ratio, because right now I can get a fare of $168.00 roundtrip but have to add $343.00 in taxes...doesn't make it cheap anymore :curse:
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
I don't think that it is the actual fare that is increasing, rather its the multitude of taxes that keep getting added. I was looking at the fares from Boston to London in July and the base fare is only $528 but the total taxes are $350 on top of that. This is actually a good deal, based on the fare to tax ratio, because right now I can get a fare of $168.00 roundtrip but have to add $343.00 in taxes...doesn't make it cheap anymore :curse:
I just checked that and discovered something strange....
comparing 2 flights on the same day, the taxes are wildly different.

$749 + $450 taxes & fees = $1,199 per person
$1,050 + $179 taxes & fees =$1,229 per person

It's pretty depressing. I haven't seen my mum for 5 years now. She's in her 70s and she's not in the best of health, and of course wants to see her grandchildren. *sigh*
Guess we'll be eating Ramen noodles for 6 months to save money LOL
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Originally Posted by danfan

It's pretty depressing. I haven't seen my mum for 5 years now. She's in her 70s and she's not in the best of health, and of course wants to see her grandchildren. *sigh*
See what you can do from Washington DC (Dulles) to the UK. You may be able to save some cash going that way. From Pittsburgh, it's about 4 hours to Dulles by car.

Jim.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:40 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

There should not be this much of a discrepancy in taxes. I notice that you have fees included in the total so I assume you are using one of the sites like Orbitz or Expedia. These sites are a good place to start but once you see the carriers that they are offering, go directly to that airlines web page and work from there. If you can fly on Tuesdays or Wednesdays that will generally save you money. Try an airport that has non-stops to the UK instead of connections. With 4 of you traveling even a saving of $100 per person is worth the effort.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
See what you can do from Washington DC (Dulles) to the UK. You may be able to save some cash going that way. From Pittsburgh, it's about 4 hours to Dulles by car.

Jim.
Yep I was gonna say that, looked the other day and it was about $700 each from Dulles
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:44 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
What about Zoom from Toronto.
They had good prices last year and they fly into Manchester (which is where we fly to). I don't think they have daily flights though.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes taxes vary by airport and you have to pay them even when you are only stopping there to transfer.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

There should not be this much of a discrepancy in taxes. I notice that you have fees included in the total so I assume you are using one of the sites like Orbitz or Expedia. These sites are a good place to start but once you see the carriers that they are offering, go directly to that airlines web page and work from there. If you can fly on Tuesdays or Wednesdays that will generally save you money. Try an airport that has non-stops to the UK instead of connections. With 4 of you traveling even a saving of $100 per person is worth the effort.
Ahhhh yes, their fees. That's probably it.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I flew in and out of Dulles when I first met my husband but we lived in VA then so I didn't think about it this time. Might also try NY or Philly.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jumping doris
What about Zoom from Toronto.
They had good prices last year and they fly into Manchester (which is where we fly to). I don't think they have daily flights though.
Did you drive up to Toronto from Pitt, Doris? How long did that take?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:02 pm
Dis-Member

Originally Posted by Longy
Yep I was gonna say that, looked the other day and it was about $700 each from Dulles
If you can get there look at the New York airports as well. The more carriers that fly out of a certain area the better the price and the less there are the more expensive the fares are. I think Zoom also flies to UK from JFK.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

I just checked on;

http://travel.yahoo.com

Dulles to London Heathrow:

Outbound date: September 2nd (evening)

Return date: September 14th (afternoon)

$618 including taxes and fees on United (Non-Stop)

August is peak travel season for the Airlines and cheap fares are very hard to find then. If you can put your journey back to September......it will save you some $$$$. I know it's difficult if you have kids, though.

Edit: You can also book your accomodation via this site. One offer includes accomodation + flights for $864, for all nights whilst in the UK.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Feb 15th 2008 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Threw In The Bit About Hotels
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:05 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Did you drive up to Toronto from Pitt, Doris? How long did that take?
In the end we didn't go but my friend always flys from Toronto and says it is aboout 4-5 hours.
We are hoping to go this year in November in the hope that it will be cheaper because there are 5 of us and we have to stay in hotels etc.
I will probabaly look at Dulles, too.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:06 pm
Who?

If you can get there look at the New York airports as well. The more carriers that fly out of a certain area the better the price and the less there are the more expensive the fares are. I think Zoom also flies to UK from JFK.
Last year you could get flights from JFK to Liverpool John Lenneon and they were so cheap but they don't seem to be flying there this year.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:11 pm
Dis-Member

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Last year you could get flights from JFK to Liverpool John Lenneon and they were so cheap but they don't seem to be flying there this year.
They have flights from JFK to Gatwick

http://www.flyzoom.com/

There site gives the prices of various dates around the date you want so give it a whirl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.