Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flights / Return flights... after moving

Flights / Return flights... after moving

Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice
Default Flights / Return flights... after moving

After your green card, did you buy a one-way ticket, return ticket or an open-ended... ticket? What is the best option?

Are the open-ended (if that's the right name for them?) tickets more expensive?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights / Return flights... after moving

Originally Posted by _chloe_
After your green card, did you buy a one-way ticket, return ticket or an open-ended... ticket? What is the best option?

Are the open-ended (if that's the right name for them?) tickets more expensive?

Thanks in advance
It's probably cheaper to buy a round trip ticket. Open ended tickets will normally cost more.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

When my then fiance came over on a K-1, it was considerably cheaper to buy a round trip ticket and just not return than to buy a one way ticket.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess the general consensus is that it'll work out cheaper to get a return ticket.
Thanks for the replies
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Just another quick question. Do I need to bring my x-ray with me when I pass through the POE for the first time?

Also, the embassy told me not to apply for my social security card as it will be sent to me. I have heard that it usually doesn't get sent out unless you go and apply for it, even if you did specify it to be sent on DS-230. Should I just go and apply for it anyway to save time?

Oh, and finally, any bank recommendations for me? I'd like to set up a bank account as soon as possible. Do I have to wait for my social security # before I can do this? I believe with BOA you don't need your social to set up an account but have also heard that they aren't the best bank around...

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just another quick question. Do I need to bring my x-ray with me when I pass through the POE for the first time?

Also, the embassy told me not to apply for my social security card as it will be sent to me. I have heard that it usually doesn't get sent out unless you go and apply for it, even if you did specify it to be sent on DS-230. Should I just go and apply for it anyway to save time?

Oh, and finally, any bank recommendations for me? I'd like to set up a bank account as soon as possible. Do I have to wait for my social security # before I can do this? I believe with BOA you don't need your social to set up an account but have also heard that they aren't the best bank around...

Thanks
I thought you said you already have your Green Card?

Is your question about your first flight to the US with your Immigrant Visa? You aren't a Permanent Resident (green card) until after you are admitted with your visa.

If you already applied for your Social Security number via DS-230, why do you want to go re-apply for it?
The system of applying via DS-230 (EAE) works just fine for the vast majority of people. If you have not received a Welcome Letter or any communication from CIS after 4 weeks from arrival, then you should go re-apply for your SSN.

The following article is for Immigrant Visa holders arriving in the US for the first time with their visa: Welcome to America!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in your hand luggage, they'll not want to look at it, but if you don't have it, you'll be that one person they do ask.

As for banks, go with whatever is nearby, they don't need a SSN, if they ask, give them your passport number, if they kick up a fuss, talk to someone senior or go to another bank.

As for one way ticket, you can get a cheap standby ticket one way, but I wouldn't do that as you'll be limited on the weight that you can check in and it's a lot less than a usual ticket which is usually a problem when your bringing as much shite as you can.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
I thought you said you already have your Green Card?

Is your question about your first flight to the US with your Immigrant Visa? You aren't a Permanent Resident (green card) until after you are admitted with your visa.

If you already applied for your Social Security number via DS-230, why do you want to go re-apply for it?
The system of applying via DS-230 (EAE) works just fine for the vast majority of people. If you have not received a Welcome Letter or any communication from CIS after 4 weeks from arrival, then you should go re-apply for your SSN.

The following article is for Immigrant Visa holders arriving in the US for the first time with their visa: Welcome to America!
Hi meauxna,

I know I'm not an LPR until after I go through the POE for the first time, by having my greencard I just meant that I have my temporary I-1551 and just wanted to be sure about everything before I do so.

It's not that I want to re-apply for my social security card, it's just that I have read that, more than not, people do not receive their social without actually going to the social security office, even if they have ticked the box on the DS-230.

Thank you for your comments

Last edited by _chloe_; Feb 2nd 2009 at 3:49 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, in your hand luggage, they'll not want to look at it, but if you don't have it, you'll be that one person they do ask.

As for banks, go with whatever is nearby, they don't need a SSN, if they ask, give them your passport number, if they kick up a fuss, talk to someone senior or go to another bank.

As for one way ticket, you can get a cheap standby ticket one way, but I wouldn't do that as you'll be limited on the weight that you can check in and it's a lot less than a usual ticket which is usually a problem when your bringing as much shite as you can.
Thanks Bob, that's always the way, isn't it! If you don't have it with you chances are that's the time they'll ask for it!

That's good to know about the banks, thanks for that.

I'm not carrying much with me, neither hand luggage or checked luggage, going to be shipping my stuff over.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by _chloe_; Feb 2nd 2009 at 3:47 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi meauxna,

I know I'm not an LPR until after I go through the POE for the first time, by having my greencard I just meant that I have my temporary I-1551 and just wanted to be sure about everything before I do so.

It's not that I want to re-apply for my social security card, it's just that I have read that, more than not, people do not receive their social without actually going to the social security office, even if they have ticked the box on the DS-230.

Thank you for your comments
OK, it just wasn't clear from your earlier post. The attached article will give you an idea of what to expect at the POE & discusses the SSN issue.
It's really only about 10% of the DS-230 apps that don't make it through correctly, but people with a problem tend to post on the internet more than people for whom everything worked perfectly.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:11 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

I ticked the box to get a replacement ss card (had one from j1 with red writing "only valid with INS ....") it never showed up. Finally went in and got a new one last week. You can't even fart over here with out a ss or a credit score/history, you will find That out very quick. :-) I knew my ss number off after a few days!
So it may or may not arrive and with out it people think your trying to pull a fast one. If there is no sign of it then you may want to go and apply at the ss office.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

I asked for a SSN to be sent to me. Didn't get it. Just go to your local SS office and apply for one. They will warn you that if your original request for one does come through at around the same time of your new request then you will end up with 2. This will quickly become zero and you'll have to start again.

As to how long to wait before re-applying? I gave it a good couple of months.

X-Rays. You have to bring them. You may get hassled to put them in your hand luggage as you are only allowed one item. I explained what it was and they let me carry them in a separate carrier bag (ie un-folded). I guarded them with my life and was a bit p****ed off when they weren't asked for at immigration!

Flights? I personally got an OK price on a single. It may have been a few quid more than a return but I figured it would look better when I got interrogated at the airport. "So you want to live here then?" Yes. "Why do you have a return flight so soon?" Errrr. "Sorry - you are being rejected".

As it turned out it was far from an interrogation. Just some guy stamping a few forms and he barely said a word. Not even a 'welcome to the USA' when he had finished and I was in. So I doubt that whether you have a single or a return would matter one little bit. I was just being extra careful.

Good luck - hope things work out for you over here.