Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vonage Update

Vonage Update

Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:08 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Vonage Update

Well, as some may remember, I signed up 4 months ago and haven't had any luck, despite numerous support calls. On one where they called me, they couldn't hear me well enough and they called me back on my cell

It still hasn't been fixed. I know a number of you have been saying Vonage is fine for you and you know what, it's probably OK (just) for me. BUT, its definitely not great and sometimes it's just horrible.

A guy from the UK, who is on Vonage called me on my cell phone yesterday and whilst I could just about make out the call, it wasn't great. He called my from his cell to my cell and it was perfect.

Some have reported that ISP's are chopping VOIP band-width so maybe that's it but I'm done. Since we call back on cell phones more than half the time as Vonage just isn't up to snuff. SOmeone told me they got AT&T home line for less than $25 a month so I'm switching back (or just might stay on cell phone). I hate paying more but it is what it is.

I know it's not my network BECAUSE when I use SKYPE from my PC, it's actually BETTER than Vonage in most instances!

Seems I am alone though on this as everyone else loves Vonage!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

carlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to allcarlfarey is a name known to all
Default Re: Vonage Update

Originally Posted by franc111s View Post
Well, as some may remember, I signed up 4 months ago and haven't had any luck, despite numerous support calls. On one where they called me, they couldn't hear me well enough and they called me back on my cell

It still hasn't been fixed. I know a number of you have been saying Vonage is fine for you and you know what, it's probably OK (just) for me. BUT, its definitely not great and sometimes it's just horrible.

A guy from the UK, who is on Vonage called me on my cell phone yesterday and whilst I could just about make out the call, it wasn't great. He called my from his cell to my cell and it was perfect.

Some have reported that ISP's are chopping VOIP band-width so maybe that's it but I'm done. Since we call back on cell phones more than half the time as Vonage just isn't up to snuff. SOmeone told me they got AT&T home line for less than $25 a month so I'm switching back (or just might stay on cell phone). I hate paying more but it is what it is.

I know it's not my network BECAUSE when I use SKYPE from my PC, it's actually BETTER than Vonage in most instances!

Seems I am alone though on this as everyone else loves Vonage!
We have 5 lines on vonage and for the most part they are fine. i take it you have checked your bandwidth allocator on the internet?

good luck.

Carl.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

try lingo?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:55 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Yes 12MBS download and 750k upload. I use slingmedia to the UK and have NO problems and use SKYPE, no problems.

The fact that the person I know in the UK on Vonage called me on my AT&T cell and he was garbled was my final straw in doing any more analysis on my network. This proved it must be Vonage. He has been with them for a while and said the service used to be great but has deteriorated over the last 12 months. I think, given the amount of people signing up, given the economy, it's not surprising. Their own band-width must be under a lot of stress.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Optophobia is an unknown quantity at this point

When I had vonage it was terrible. Skype works perfectly and is only $10 unlimited USA to UK.
Anyway Vonage customer service is even worse.
So I would just go with something else.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:54 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

How weird, my vonage started playing up about a week ago. I have been trying to make several calls back to England, but all the calls were all of a sudden bloody terrible!

I have had Vonage for about a year, never had a problem. I checked that the vonage box was 4ft away from my router, I have increased my bad width to max, Verizon has given me warped speed fios internet (even the vonage rep, said.....F'kin how fast when he done a line check!) but still the phone calls are shit.

What a bummer, looks like I will have to change to something else....it was a good price at 24.99+tax.

so what else is there?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:03 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I have an English friend that lives about 100 miles from me. When she calls me on her Vonage phone it goes along okay for a few minutes or so, and then I start getting that echo thing. I can't understand a word she is saying, because my own voice is coming back at me. Terrible reception. I call her on her cell phone, I hate to saying anything about her Vonage. Let someone in the UK tell her.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser View Post

so what else is there?
http://voip.about.com/od/servicesand...5Providers.htm

Lingo, BroadVoice, Packet8
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:23 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Thanks Bob, I will look into it.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:28 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
How weird, my vonage started playing up about a week ago. I have been trying to make several calls back to England, but all the calls were all of a sudden bloody terrible!

I have had Vonage for about a year, never had a problem. I checked that the vonage box was 4ft away from my router, I have increased my bad width to max, Verizon has given me warped speed fios internet (even the vonage rep, said.....F'kin how fast when he done a line check!) but still the phone calls are shit.

What a bummer, looks like I will have to change to something else....it was a good price at 24.99+tax.

so what else is there?
That happened to me and it turned out that some twat at vonage had altered a setting on my account - got it sorted out with a quick call.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that you can use skype with success does suggest your network connection is good. But make sure it's good at a few different random times during the day - not just one or two quick tests. If skype is consistently good, and vonage is consistently bad, then you have really good evidence that vonage is bad for you.

Be aware that your ISP 'bandwidth' or 'speed' is not the ONLY factor that affects the quality; there is another factor called latency that can kill your voip performance. But again, it should affect vonage and skype in the same manner.

I have vonage at home (in ADDITION to land lines and cell phones) and it's good most of the time, but if I do high quality video streaming, that will really impact the quality.

My advice - get a basic land-line account, with NO long distance, for about $20/month, then use a calling card for all your long distance. That's what I do for most of my calls.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
We've used Onesuite for years as a calling card-type service and they're pretty good. I noticed they've started a VOIP service (http://www.onesuite.com/products_Broadband_Main.asp) - haven't tried it though...
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:23 pm
Resident Hambone

K2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura about

I've had Vonage for several years now, I have never experienced any outages with the service that weren't caused by the cable company, its a great resource for talking home to UK landlines, that's really why I got it in the first place.