Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flight Connection through Chicago

Flight Connection through Chicago

Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Connection through Chicago

Originally Posted by N1cky
Wondered if anyone has any experience of connecting through Chicago?

I have a flight from SFO with a connection time of 1 hour 10 minutes to make my flight to Manchester.

On the way back I have a 1 hour 30 minute connection time, but will have to go through immigration.

My bags will be booked straight through, so don't have to mess around there.

Do you think these times are too tight?

Thanks

It does sound a bit tight for the return flight:

a) In my experience, flights back form the UK can be delayed by headwind.
b) Are you sure your Man - Chicago flight is arriving in Terminal 3? Customs and immigration are all in Terminal 5, and as far as I know all international flights have to land there. You will need to take the shuttle train to another terminal for your onwards flight. It doesn't take long, but it is longer than just walking to another gate.
c) I don't know your immigration status in the US. If you have a green card or citizenship then you can go through the faster lanes, as opposed to the very, very slow lanes, but even so I have had to wait in line up to half an hour at times.

It's probably doable, but I would be a bit nervous.

Ooh, just noticed that you have to collect bags on the way back too. Yes, you will have to take them through customs and lug them over to your next terminal. It can take 30 - 40 minutes from getting to the gate for your bags to get through, but on the bright side you are doing immigration while that is going on. All the same, I have often had to wait a good 20 mins for bags.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 7th 2012 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Plus I'm travelling on my own with the kid, not sure getting hammered is a good thing to do.
Good thinking. Maybe just a little bit hammered?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Ooh, just noticed that you have to collect bags on the way back too. Yes, you will have to take them through customs and lug them over to your next terminal.
You shouldn't need to do that. Just outside the customs hall should be the bag transfer area - for all terminals. It's certainly what we did last time when we arrived at one terminal, collected the bags, dropped them off a minute later, and then made our way by foot/train to another terminal for a domestic flight.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wondered if anyone has any experience of connecting through Chicago?

I have a flight from SFO with a connection time of 1 hour 10 minutes to make my flight to Manchester.

On the way back I have a 1 hour 30 minute connection time, but will have to go through immigration.

My bags will be booked straight through, so don't have to mess around there.

Do you think these times are too tight?

Thanks
90 minutes to get to another flight and go through immigration is much too tight. I have tried that and it failed ........

Now I always have at least 2 hours for connection. I'd rather wait at the airport than miss the connecting flight.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:51 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

As a pro= 2 hours minimum on intl flights.................
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
You shouldn't need to do that. Just outside the customs hall should be the bag transfer area - for all terminals. It's certainly what we did last time when we arrived at one terminal, collected the bags, dropped them off a minute later, and then made our way by foot/train to another terminal for a domestic flight.
Oh, right, well that's a plus.

Still, on the time thing you still have to get yourself to the other terminal. It's a bit tight.

Take Cindy the Pro's advice, I say.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:13 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

b) Are you sure your Man - Chicago flight is arriving in Terminal 3? Customs and immigration are all in Terminal 5, and as far as I know all international flights have to land there. You will need to take the shuttle train to another terminal for your onwards flight. It doesn't take long, but it is longer than just walking to another gate.
I think this is correct. American handles domestic arrivals/departures from terminal 3, and some international departures from terminal 3, so your flight out should be ok. But my understanding is that ALL international arrivals are at Terminal 5, the international arrival facility at O'Hare. Only flights from airports that have pre-clearance facilities (like Shannon in Ireland) can go to other terminals as only Terminal 5 has customs and immigration booths.

You might want to double check that bit with the airline. If you are coming to 5 and then transferring it's a shuttle train and possibly a second security review (not sure on that)
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think this is correct. American handles domestic arrivals/departures from terminal 3, and some international departures from terminal 3, so your flight out should be ok. But my understanding is that ALL international arrivals are at Terminal 5, the international arrival facility at O'Hare. Only flights from airports that have pre-clearance facilities (like Shannon in Ireland) can go to other terminals as only Terminal 5 has customs and immigration booths.

You might want to double check that bit with the airline. If you are coming to 5 and then transferring it's a shuttle train and possibly a second security review (not sure on that)
From Heathrow American def. comes to Terminal 5. I do it all the time.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:08 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

From Heathrow American def. comes to Terminal 5. I do it all the time.
Do you have to stay 'airside' or to move from T5 to T* at O'Hare do you have to go out to the tram/buses and thus back in again through security lines?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Do you have to stay 'airside' or to move from T5 to T* at O'Hare do you have to go out to the tram/buses and thus back in again through security lines?
The latter. Any international arrival* in the US means going through immigration, collect bags, through customs, bag drop (if connecting), then going back through security again. Apart from the bags, this seems to be common through many parts of the world now (Dubai, London, Manila, Santiago, Sao Paulo that I've experienced recently) with some exceptions, not that I can think of any I've been to recently!

* may be some exceptions I guess. Air New Zealand through LAX?

Last edited by GeoffM; Jun 8th 2012 at 5:15 am.