News Media

Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default News Media

So, I asked this question when we first moved here about 18 months ago, and was panned by those that thought I was being condescending.

Now, I will admit to a cynical, ironic style of Brit humour which is out-of-place with the prevailing comedy here, but I do have a serious question.

We are sick-and-tired of the banal "local" news coverage on TV. We have four main "local" channels that all have an evening news programme that seems to cover no more than the daily shooting ritual that is Oakland, wild-fires in the hills, the state of the snow in Tahoe, etc. Oh, and a couple of minutes (maximum) on "World" news events.

Last night our local roving reporter on KTVU managed to venture just over two blocks from her studio in (ahem) Oakland to a domestic in (ahem) Oakland where she interviewed the policeman in charge of the siege who basically told her to bugger off - it's all under control. But, my, she persisted for nearly 25 minutes of the 1 hour news "show..." Hardly news, and not very interesting in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't even know about the potential recall of the governor in Wisconsin (that's in the same country !!!) until I heard about it on BBC World Service radio.

CNN is too rolling-news; PBS appears to be only attainable if you have a PhD in PPE.

So, where is the 30/45-minute reportage based new programmes like BBC News at 10, Channel 4 News, even the ITV evening news or their continental equivalents on ZDF, TF1, RAI Uno, TVE, etc. I want the light grilling and roasting of politicians, US domestic news, international news, comment and analysis of the days events worldwide.

I don't think I've ever seen a Senator or Representative being given a dressing-down on a news programme.

The best it gets appears to be NPR (which I listen to religiously, sometimes 24/7).

Is US TV news truly that awful ?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News Media

The Daily Show is the best news show. Sad but true.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Yes.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

So I LOVE the Daily Show and Real Time, but that's not quite what I was looking for....
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

So I LOVE the Daily Show and Real Time, but that's not quite what I was looking for....
We understand that.

Even things like 60 minutes are considered good journalism by Americans that I know,
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

We understand that.
So..... ?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:56 pm
He/him

So..... ?
I can't pull an American Paxman out my ass for you I am afraid.
(I would if I could)
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:58 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Anderson Cooper on CNN is the best we have found, but still doesn't give the kind of coverage you are talking about.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can't pull an American Paxman out my ass for you I am afraid.
(I would if I could)
Wow - that would be quite some trick if you COULD do that. Possibly painful, but worth the exertion.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anderson Cooper on CNN
Yep - have discovered him and pretty good, I agree.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - have discovered him and pretty good, I agree.
I refreshed my memory by looking at the previous thread you referred to, are you still here temporarily?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:06 pm
He/him

but you will be banging your head against a wall if you suggest that media regulation, and requirements for news coverage with balance is a requisite for democracy.

The Fairness Doctrine went away before I came here, so I do not know if it was any better back then.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You dismissed PBS but they do in fact carry BBC World news America regularly. Usually PBS World channel.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Jun 5th 2012 at 11:22 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So, I asked this question when we first moved here about 18 months ago, and was panned by those that thought I was being condescending.

Now, I will admit to a cynical, ironic style of Brit humour which is out-of-place with the prevailing comedy here, but I do have a serious question.

We are sick-and-tired of the banal "local" news coverage on TV. We have four main "local" channels that all have an evening news programme that seems to cover no more than the daily shooting ritual that is Oakland, wild-fires in the hills, the state of the snow in Tahoe, etc. Oh, and a couple of minutes (maximum) on "World" news events.

Last night our local roving reporter on KTVU managed to venture just over two blocks from her studio in (ahem) Oakland to a domestic in (ahem) Oakland where she interviewed the policeman in charge of the siege who basically told her to bugger off - it's all under control. But, my, she persisted for nearly 25 minutes of the 1 hour news "show..." Hardly news, and not very interesting in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't even know about the potential recall of the governor in Wisconsin (that's in the same country !!!) until I heard about it on BBC World Service radio.

CNN is too rolling-news; PBS appears to be only attainable if you have a PhD in PPE.

So, where is the 30/45-minute reportage based new programmes like BBC News at 10, Channel 4 News, even the ITV evening news or their continental equivalents on ZDF, TF1, RAI Uno, TVE, etc. I want the light grilling and roasting of politicians, US domestic news, international news, comment and analysis of the days events worldwide.

I don't think I've ever seen a Senator or Representative being given a dressing-down on a news programme.

The best it gets appears to be NPR (which I listen to religiously, sometimes 24/7).

Yes, it's that awful.

This can't be emphasized enough - this is a different country and a different culture, similarities of language notwithstanding. You just don't get the kind of news programmes that you do in the UK. If you want that level of grasp of the news here, you have to read it - which is why the internet has been huge for me. Even so, it isn't easy.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You dismissed PBS but they do in fact carry BBC World news America regularly.
I just listen to the Beeb via computer. No pics, but hey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.