Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flat with built-in washer/dryer

Flat with built-in washer/dryer

Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

cranes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flat with built-in washer/dryer

Hello! I'm moving from London to New York city in spring, and I'm having a hard time finding for an average 1br flat (to rent) with a built-in washer and dryer. I know it's the norm to use shared laundry rooms or laundromat in NY (I can't believe this!!), but I really prefer to have a washer/dryer in my own unit.

Can someone recommend areas in Queens (that's where I'm planning to live in) where most flats would come with one (no plans to install it myself)? Or do I have to look further to New Jersey city? Btw, I'll be work in Manhattan. Thank you!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flat with built-in washer/dryer

Originally Posted by cranes
Hello! I'm moving from London to New York city in spring, and I'm having a hard time finding for an average 1br flat (to rent) with a built-in washer and dryer. I know it's the norm to use shared laundry rooms or laundromat in NY (I can't believe this!!), but I really prefer to have a washer/dryer in my own unit.

Can someone recommend areas in Queens (that's where I'm planning to live in) where most flats would come with one (no plans to install it myself)? Or do I have to look further to New Jersey city? Btw, I'll be work in Manhattan. Thank you!
Hi Cranes,

Where are you looking? I just did a quick search on Craiglist and found a 1-bedroom apartment with a washer/dryer within the unit.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/abo/2211385378.html

You may just have to do some digging. Another option would be to work with a realtor who can help you find an apartment which meets your needs.

Good luck!

Kaffy
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

cranes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hi Cranes,

Where are you looking? I just did a quick search on Craiglist and found a 1-bedroom apartment with a washer/dryer within the unit.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/abo/2211385378.html

You may just have to do some digging. Another option would be to work with a realtor who can help you find an apartment which meets your needs.

Good luck!

Kaffy
Thank you Kaffy. I usually search in nytimes and craiglist, although the latter is filled with junk postings (under-priced, over-sized, too good to be true deals), just like gumtree. Any reputable/reasonable high-street realtors to recommend? Thanks!

Btw, I think the link you've pasted points to some dodgy realtors too. Might want to erase that out.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

The laundry stores there are great though. You can get a big bag from them and just drop it off when it's full, they wash all your stuff, fold it up all nice then you pick it up. I'd love to have that service where I live now!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ask your employers if they can recommend a realtor?

Though if you use one, you'll be paying anything from 1-3 months worth of rent as a fee in most likelyhood.