Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fish And Chips!

Fish And Chips!

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:52 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fish And Chips!

Hi, I am new to the forum, so please forgive any faux pas. I am from London and i am currently living in indy with my hubby . My one favourite food, which i have been craving for months and months is decent fish and chips. Not the awful stuff i seem to come across. Does anyone know anyone of anywhere in indy or even nationally, that does a proper british fish n chips? Thank you in advance!!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish And Chips!

I'm not from indy.. ill chat up a friend i have there, see if he knows any places out there for you! I would check around the city (downtown) no doubt theres a british pub, just about eveywhere sells fish nd chips, but its hard to find it as greasy as the average back street chippy

How long have you been here? take it from me, fish and chips is overated.. but there will be PLENTY of things you start missing and craving as time goes on.

Good luck on your search

_Chris
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...decent cod...well cod full stop....kinda miss that myself...

anyway, welcome to the forums
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:34 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hmm...decent cod...well cod full stop....kinda miss that myself...

anyway, welcome to the forums

Thank you very much! mmm cod, battered artery clogging, cod! That or a good piece of haddock, I need now! hahaha There must be somewhere in the states, that does it right. I had heard that in florida's epcot centre, in the supposedly english pub they do english fish n chips, has anyone tested this? I am going later this month and i am going to try it for lunch, so i will update on what i think of that!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:51 am
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
I'm not from indy.. ill chat up a friend i have there, see if he knows any places out there for you! I would check around the city (downtown) no doubt theres a british pub, just about eveywhere sells fish nd chips, but its hard to find it as greasy as the average back street chippy

How long have you been here? take it from me, fish and chips is overated.. but there will be PLENTY of things you start missing and craving as time goes on.

Good luck on your search

_Chris
Ahhh thank you very much. Ive been here constantly since march. I know that downtown there is a pretty decent scottish pub and an irish pub. The scottish pub actually serves haggis HA! good beer and shows the footie aka soccer matches, u have to pay way too much for on cable. The only "english pub" i have come across is up north and is the fox and the hound and is pretty non english when it comes to food (mostly burgers and so forth, was disappointed). But yea i would like to find a decent english pub if i can, and i do love my english fish and chips and i do miss em but i have become accustomed to some new food haha. But i still miss a good pint and a packet of crisps!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:34 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

There is a new British fish & chip shop opened up in Easton PA which is quite a way from Indy this particular shop is owned by Brits, we also have a local Friendly's that serves a fairly decent fish & chips even my husband is impressed and he is a Cornish man from very near the sea. Hope this helps
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:07 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that this is one of those rare occasions that I wish a particular restaurant was part of a national chain.

We went to the "Down Under Pub & Grub" here in Frisco, Texas and had quite acceptable (verging on good) Cod & Chips and Haddock & Chips served with pints of Youngs bitter (I think). From the style of the place, we took it for granted that it was part of a chain, but according to their website they're only in three locations around DFW.

Not of any use to you in Indy (unless you have them send you a very cold and congealed take-out!) but hopefully of interest to my fellow metroplex inhabitants.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

goldie will become famous soon enough

ooooch, thank you so much for posting this! I'm not far from that area so look forward to giving that place a try!!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Brit pub here serves it with coleslaw. But it's the best peice of fish I have tasted since I left.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Hi, I am new to the forum, so please forgive any faux pas. I am from London and i am currently living in indy with my hubby . My one favourite food, which i have been craving for months and months is decent fish and chips. Not the awful stuff i seem to come across. Does anyone know anyone of anywhere in indy or even nationally, that does a proper british fish n chips? Thank you in advance!!
Where in Indiana do you live?
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 6:55 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

check this one out http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...36#post2314736
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fish And Chips!

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It seems that this is one of those rare occasions that I wish a particular restaurant was part of a national chain.

We went to the "Down Under Pub & Grub" here in Frisco, Texas and had quite acceptable (verging on good) Cod & Chips and Haddock & Chips served with pints of Youngs bitter (I think). From the style of the place, we took it for granted that it was part of a chain, but according to their website they're only in three locations around DFW.

Not of any use to you in Indy (unless you have them send you a very cold and congealed take-out!) but hopefully of interest to my fellow metroplex inhabitants.
Bugger - still wont let me give you any more Karma - must put myself around a bit first!! But thanks for another culinary tip!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dragonfly
There is a new British fish & chip shop opened up in Easton PA which is quite a way from Indy this particular shop is owned by Brits, we also have a local Friendly's that serves a fairly decent fish & chips even my husband is impressed and he is a Cornish man from very near the sea. Hope this helps
Please give me detailed directions to this!! I'm only 80 miles away, and yes, I would seriously considering driving that far for decent fish and chips. Do they do mushy peas too????
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lottie
Please give me detailed directions to this!! I'm only 80 miles away, and yes, I would seriously considering driving that far for decent fish and chips. Do they do mushy peas too????
www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/mushypeas.html

Not exactly as I remembered them at first but after a wee bit of fine tuning from Mrs. Rushman they're perfect now.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rushman
www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/mushypeas.html

Not exactly as I remembered them at first but after a wee bit of fine tuning from Mrs. Rushman they're perfect now.
Ooooh, wonderful. I hadn't even looked for the dried marrowfat peas in the local supermarket as assumed I wouldn't be able to find them. I'm going to seek them out now. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.