Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First US passport application

First US passport application

Old May 16th 2018, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default First US passport application

I have an appointment booked at the San Diego passport office the day after our oath ceremony as I am (was to be?) travelling out of the country a week later (I forgot I had this trip booked). Some questions if I may:
1. The online appointment asks for number of people. I put 4 but do the kids need to be there? Says both parents need to be present for minors but is silent on whether the kids need to be present.
2. We get a naturalization/citizenship certificate AT the oath ceremony, correct? Not mailed some time after?
3. I'm booked to travel only 7 calendar days from this appointment date. Would they try to achieve this or just say "nah"?

We'll take all birth certificates and marriage certificates, 2x passport photos each (1 spare), means of payment, driving licenses, filled-out DS-11s, proof of booked travel.
Old May 16th 2018, 5:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First US passport application

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I have an appointment booked at the San Diego passport office the day after our oath ceremony as I am (was to be?) travelling out of the country a week later (I forgot I had this trip booked). Some questions if I may:
1. The online appointment asks for number of people. I put 4 but do the kids need to be there? Says both parents need to be present for minors but is silent on whether the kids need to be present.
2. We get a naturalization/citizenship certificate AT the oath ceremony, correct? Not mailed some time after?
3. I'm booked to travel only 7 calendar days from this appointment date. Would they try to achieve this or just say "nah"?

We'll take all birth certificates and marriage certificates, 2x passport photos each (1 spare), means of payment, driving licenses, filled-out DS-11s, proof of booked travel.
Yes, bring the children. Are you going to be paying the expedited fee of $60 to get the passports back in time for your trip? If so, that will probably be an $60 per passport. In your case, $240 + $440 for the passports. You will get your naturalization certificate the day of the oath ceremony. The passport office will keep it and return it with your passport (or in a separate envelope). I just had to get a new passport (lost my original) and needed driver's license, birth certificate with a raised seal, for a woman with a name change, proof of name change, i.e. marriage certificate which you will also need for the kids' passports. Payment can be a personal check ONLY if the check has your name and address imprinted on it. If it doesn't you can use a money order. I didn't see an option to pay by credit card but then I used a service. I needed to show confirmed travel plans with the e-ticket booking number on it. If you are really lucky, you might be able to obtain them the same day as your initial appointment.
Old May 16th 2018, 6:46 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine the day after my oath ceremony in NYC, so you should be fine.
Old May 16th 2018, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - yes, expedited. Should be ok hopefully.
Old May 24th 2018, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Triple is an unknown quantity at this point

I went straight from my ceremony in Honolulu to apply for my US Passport for very similar reasons. Should work out fine. If paying by check, make sure to take several with you as you'll need to pay the State Department for your Passport Application Fee and the facility for the Acceptance fee separately.
Old May 24th 2018, 10:14 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I just renewed mine today. Pain in the arse trying to staple that photo.