Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First steps after marriage?

First steps after marriage?

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 5:10 am
Qwikhog

Default First steps after marriage?

After my Uk fiancee and I marry in a few months, what is the first thing we should do
in regards to the AOS? We live in Chicago and I heard that ALL filings have to be
done by mail....true? See ya...Good luck to all.

Frank

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 5:40 am
Shelley

Default Re: First steps after marriage?

I believe for the Chicago INS office, the I-485 package and the I-765 are done by
mail, but the I-131 must be filed in person. See their website
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...go/aboutus.htm and these personal
experiences http://www.kamya.com/aos/illinois.html#chicago for more information on
filing. Take Care. Shelley

"QWIKHOG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > After my Uk fiancee and I marry in a few months, what is the first thing
we
    > should do in regards to the AOS? We live in Chicago and I heard that ALL filings
    > have to be done by mail....true? See ya...Good luck to all.
    >
    > Frank

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 3:40 am
sponsor

On 22 Apr 2002 04:03:06 GMT, [email protected] (QWIKHOG) wrote:

>After my Uk fiancee and I marry in a few months, what is the first thing we should
    >do in regards to the AOS? We live in Chicago and I heard that ALL filings have to be
    >done by mail....true? See ya...Good luck to all.
    >
    >Frank
I advise looking for a public service legal service - one that doesn't charge much
but helps you do and file the paperwork. If an experienced attorney does it, it is
more likely to be accurate and perhaps more likely to get processed quicker... Or if
you can afford it, a regular immigration attorney.

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 1:40 pm
Mrs_blackross

an attorney is not necessary in most cases, unless there are complicating factors
such as criminal records, major health issues, or illegal entries. The forms all come
with complete instructions.

most of the people on this NG have filed and been quickly approved on thier petitions
WITHOUT a lawyer, myself included. If you have an uncomplicated case, using a lawyer
unnecessarily increases the cost of filing, and can slow things down because its an
extra person in the picture.

To the original poster...to get you started, see the links at the bottom of my sig
for some help on filing for AOS. good luck

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > On 22 Apr 2002 04:03:06 GMT, [email protected] (QWIKHOG) wrote:
    >
    > >After my Uk fiancee and I marry in a few months, what is the first thing
we
    > >should do in regards to the AOS? We live in Chicago and I heard that ALL filings
    > >have to be done by mail....true? See ya...Good luck to all.
    > >
    > >Frank
    > I advise looking for a public service legal service - one that doesn't charge much
    > but helps you do and file the paperwork. If an experienced attorney does it, it is
    > more likely to be accurate and perhaps more likely to get processed quicker... Or
    > if you can afford it, a regular immigration attorney.

Old Apr 24th 2002, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Inaleda is an unknown quantity at this point

An attorny is not necessary but might be a very good idea for Chicago. It is not about the papper work which is quite simple.
We didn`t hire a lawyer thinking it is too expensive and useless.
After dealing for more than a year with INS Chicago, my husband and I wish we were having one. We also wish we had never filed in Chicago but used his parents address and filed there instead.
Long lines, big mass, rude officers, no information, no help,alot of humiliation. That is in short what to expect. And never move, it took them 10 months , endless letters and walk- in inquiries to chandge the address on my file.That could`ve been saved if we had a lawyer since they always send one letter to you and one to your lawyer if you have one.Not to mention that we have never received a NOA from them after filing my pappers.As a result of that I got my EAD 6 months later,I had troubles obtain an AP and I still have no idea what is going on with my case.
One more advise, send your paper as soon as you get married.
Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:10 am
Qwikhog

Inaleda.........sorry to hear about your crappy Chicago experience. Seeing as I
live in the Chicago area, it sounds like we are in for quite a process! Thanks
for the info!

Frank

Old Apr 28th 2002, 10:10 am
Skaternl

I am living in Illinois myself too. I immigrated last year on a K1 and send in my AOS
stuff last year October. I got my NOA and I got my EAD within 3 months of sending in
my AOS forms. Got my fingerprints taken about 2 months ago. So, till now no problems
at all (knocking on wood now). Sometimes I wonder why some people have so many
troubles with the INS office and other people have no troubles at all. Then again,
the people that don't have any problems hardly post here I think

Good luck with your case,

Daniel

Inaleda <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > An attorny is not necessary but might be a very good idea for Chicago. It is not
    > about the papper work which is quite simple. We didn`t hire a lawyer thinking it is
    > too expensive and useless. After dealing for more than a year with INS Chicago, my
    > husband and I wish we were having one. We also wish we had never filed in Chicago
    > but used his parents address and filed there instead. Long lines, big mass, rude
    > officers, no information, no help,alot of humiliation. That is in short what to
    > expect. And never move, it took them 10 months , endless letters and walk- in
    > inquiries to chandge the address on my file.That could`ve been saved if we had a
    > lawyer since they always send one letter to you and one to your lawyer if you have
    > one.Not to mention that we have never received a NOA from them after filing my
    > pappers.As a result of that I got my EAD 6 months later,I had troubles obtain an AP
    > and I still have no idea what is going on with my case. One more advise, send your
    > paper as soon as you get married.