Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Wikiposts

FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We've entered....

LOL!

So anyway, do you guys enjoy the States?

Ever miss the UK?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:35 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichP
LOL!

Ever miss the UK?
Yes.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL!

Ever miss the UK?
I like Britvics phrase: "It's all sunshine and ****in' lollipops"
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:36 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

Ever miss the UK?
Yes.

No.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Clothing and sports retail/distribution.
Graphic Designer.
Web Designer.
Call out IT technician.

All small scale stuff, why do you ask?
Nothing there to get you a visa, dime a dozen unless you have niche skills as it won't be worth it to a company to sponsor you....having your own business won't help you unless it's a big business.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't intend to drive. Greyhound all the way and it's cheap as hell.

You guys have got to remember, that with little responsibilities at my age, i don't have to worry about legalities to the same degree. I have no house, kids, career. One day i will, hence why i'm doing this now.

I'm not planning to permanently reside here, just stay for a while. Like an extended holiday if you must.

Like i say, the plan is to end up in OZ, having made my way East to West.
Greyhound really isn't that cheap, it also travels at crap time and they suck, you'll also be travelling with some really scary, smelly people because no one with any sense uses them, not to mention they don't really go everywhere.

Being in your situation, POE might not admit you in, you'll have to have a return ticket etc, and they get very suspicious of anyone wanting to spend more than a week here because most people are lucky to get 10 days a holiday a year.

Things to consider, you get contacts, want to come here and work oneday, you could seriously pluck that all up. You might want to look into getting a B1/2 visa to travel more than 90 days, you probably won't get it because you don't have ties to the UK and they like to see around £10K for a 6 month stay to show you can fund your stay without working.

Good luck though.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's the plan.

Although if i like it, a short "stay" in Canada might be on the cards.
As already mentioned, you want to be careful bunny hoping...if you leave before the 90 days are up and come back, chances are unless you show you have a flight back to the UK, that they would only admit you back for the rest of the 90 days, you use all those 90 days and they would seriously consider not letting you back in.

Might not think it happens, but it does. I had a mate that went to visit his sister who lives in NC, he borrowed her car because she was on holiday, and he went on a road trip, border hopped and went to Vancouver for few days to get back, got busted, his sister had to go all the way over there to pick her car up while he got booted. Amusing really because as a kid his family got the diversity lottery and all went over, all but his sister hated it and moved else where, to Bahrain. They were dutch, hench the diversity lottery.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
As already mentioned, you want to be careful bunny hoping...if you leave before the 90 days are up and come back, chances are unless you show you have a flight back to the UK, that they would only admit you back for the rest of the 90 days, you use all those 90 days and they would seriously consider not letting you back in.

Might not think it happens, but it does. I had a mate that went to visit his sister who lives in NC, he borrowed her car because she was on holiday, and he went on a road trip, border hopped and went to Vancouver for few days to get back, got busted, his sister had to go all the way over there to pick her car up while he got booted. Amusing really because as a kid his family got the diversity lottery and all went over, all but his sister hated it and moved else where, to Bahrain. They were dutch, hench the diversity lottery.
bob, it is either you or me that's been at the vino. Holland has a DV system going too?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 2:16 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Wrong time of year to visit canada - we're going into our fall/winter season!
Yeah you missed the two day summer season in the middle of July
Old Oct 6th 2006, 2:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
bob, it is either you or me that's been at the vino. Holland has a DV system going too?
now, I wouldn't know, this was donkies ago.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:24 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

Ever miss the UK?

yes

no
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:25 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Define anal
Anal is the bit between your backbone and your front bone.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:08 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
From the Netherlands TO the US.... but no, not the other way round. Don't honestly know what it would take to emigrate there as an American (not married to a Dutchman). I do know I'd have to take Dutch classes. :scared:
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

redhotscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I've searched the various links posted earlier and managed to get some handy information, but wonder if anyone can help me with this one:

It is possible that in the near future I will be offered a job to teach in an international school in the USA for 2 years, presumably on an H1-B visa (or at least that's what I imagine it would be). However, before accepting the job I need to be sure what the situation would be with my parter.

We are not married, but have a joint mortgage on a house. She is a university administrator in London, and well qualified. I would only move to work in the USA if she could be sure of being able to come with me.

I know she wouldn't be able to come on my visa as we are unmarried, and I know that on a tourist visa she would only be able to stay for 90 days at a time, then fly home before re-entering. And she wouldn't be able to work.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to search for a job with a visa sponsor while visiting the USA on a tourist visa (as she would be doing), then re-enter the country on the new visa?

2) If she doesn't find a job (or finds one but can't get a visa for it...she won't work illegally!), is it possible to undertake volunteer work on a tourist visa? She's keen to keep doing _something_ as otherwise if/when we return to the UK her CV would look poor.

3) I've read about "B" visas and them allowing people to stay as a visitor for an extended time - would she be able to get one of these as she'd be staying with me, in order to avoid the expense of frequent 3-monthly trips to Blighty and back again and, if so, does anyone have experience of doing it?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by redhotscott; Oct 6th 2006 at 9:07 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redhotscott
Hi there,

I've searched the various links posted earlier and managed to get some handy information, but wonder if anyone can help me with this one:

It is possible that in the near future I will be offered a job to teach in an international school in the USA for 2 years, presumably on an H1-B visa (or at least that's what I imagine it would be). However, before accepting the job I need to be sure what the situation would be with my parter.

We are not married, but have a joint mortgage on a house. She is a university administrator in London, and well qualified. I would only move to work in the USA if she could be sure of being able to come with me.

I know she wouldn't be able to come on my visa as we are unmarried, and I know that on a tourist visa she would only be able to stay for 90 days at a time, then fly home before re-entering. And she wouldn't be able to work.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to search for a job with a visa sponsor while visiting the USA on a tourist visa (as she would be doing), then re-enter the country on the new visa?

2) If she doesn't find a job (or finds one but can't get a visa for it...she won't work illegally!), is it possible to undertake volunteer work on a tourist visa? She's keen to keep doing _something_ as otherwise if/when we return to the UK her CV would look poor.

3) I've read about "B" visas and them allowing people to stay as a visitor for an extended time - would she be able to get one of these as she'd be staying with me, in order to avoid the expense of frequent 3-monthly trips to Blighty and back again and, if so, does anyone have experience of doing it?

Many thanks in advance.

Your questions are very detailed and specific and probably more suited to the US Immigration forum. However, let me make a couple of obvious points:

- Unless this school is excempt from the quota (like universities), the next application period for H1bs starts on April 1, with an October 1 start date.

- Whilst it is perfectly legal to look for work on a tourist visa, this could raise suspicion at the POE.

- I doubt that an administrator would be able to secure a position that would qualify for an H1b as the application process is quite cumbersome and costly for the employer.

- Repeated, lengthy VWP visits will eventually raise suspicion, and she might be refused entry - especially if she does no longer have a job back in the UK.

- Applying for a tourist visa is fraught with problems for people who qualify to use the VWP. I would seek advice from an immigration attorney in London who is familiar with this process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.