Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Wikiposts

FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Old Oct 4th 2006, 2:24 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Originally Posted by simongb
I lived in Spain for 5 years and my parents were there for nearly 30 years. Jim, Peter is telling his truth, but it is also my truth. The US is not England with bigger houses. It is a very different lifestyle here (one that I am used to now, but it was a BIG culture shock for me). Spain is Europe andthey do share some cultural values with the Brits that the US does not. Here the focus is on success, money, things, more things, even more things, shopping to get more things, talking about buying new things, trashing things so you can buy more things, I have more things than you do, so I am better than you...you get the picture? Spain was about family, fun, relaxation, friends, people, etc. You can also go home, thanks to Easyjet, for not much money. Here it will cost a lot more and take a lot longer. I am not trying to put you off, that is your decision to make, but think long and hard about this.
This gets back to what I have frequently stated, ad taedium, on this forum. The US is as foreign a country as Italy is. The mere fact that the locals mostly speak a familiar derivative of Englsh does not make it less of a foreign country. In fact, I think this apparent similarity masks the actuality for the unfortunate potential UK immigrant.

As the previous writer states "It is a very different lifestyle here ".

I don't know what we can do do instill a dose of reality into people who thnk that coming here to live is the same as coming here to go to Disneyland.

My USC wife, by the way, agrees completely with the above sentiment.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:22 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
This gets back to what I have frequently stated, ad taedium, on this forum. The US is as foreign a country as Italy is. The mere fact that the locals mostly speak a familiar derivative of Englsh does not make it less of a foreign country. In fact, I think this apparent similarity masks the actuality for the unfortunate potential UK immigrant.

As the previous writer states "It is a very different lifestyle here ".

I don't know what we can do do instill a dose of reality into people who thnk that coming here to live is the same as coming here to go to Disneyland.

My USC wife, by the way, agrees completely with the above sentiment.
I don't think there is any way to instill that dose of reality.

We had always wanted to try life here because the US had always figured in our lives. When I was a child lots of my dad' work collegues came over here on short term contracts and came back with glowing reports. I had a very ancient aunt in New York who I never met but she used to send me amazing US toys. For a long time I worked for the UK government and dealt a lot with the US. My OH has always known that he would have a better career here because his field is much, much bigger here. His uncle lives here and has done very well. It was always there and of course the grass is always greener.

And of course you have all the cliched reasons like Disney and the movies.

We did a lot of research before we came and spoke to the US friends we have. They were very clear about the healthcare etc here and how you can be winning one minute and everyone loves you but slip off that material ladder and no one will want to know .

BUT.....we have still been surprised by how "foreign" it is here! And I feel really stupid saying that.
France, Spain etc are really more similar despite the language barriers.

The thing that really amazes me though is why anyone would want to come here after a holiday at Disney World. We went in the Summer and I love Disney but the area around it is horrible. I was glad to get back to Pittsburgh
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:38 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
The thing that really amazes me though is why anyone would want to come here after a holiday at Disney World. We went in the Summer and I love Disney but the area around it is horrible. I was glad to get back to Pittsburgh
indeed!!!

Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I'm flying to the States(East) in late Jan, with the intention to not return to the GB for a long while.

I hope to get an unofficial job, although i do own my own business.

I'm 20. Nothing is holding me back.

I can't wait, might visit OZ after.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:06 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichP
Hi,

I'm flying to the States(East) in late Jan, with the intention to not return to the GB for a long while.

I can't wait, might visit OZ after.
What kind of business do you run Rich?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

POE might hold you back, not having a visa, and no times home, they might not even let you into the country.

Working illegally if you get caught would get you deported and barred from re-entry pretty much.

Owning your own business doesn't really mean much.

Best bet, bypass the US and head straight for Oz and do the student travel thing and shag your way across the country.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:13 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
POE might hold you back, not having a visa, and no times home, they might not even let you into the country.

Working illegally if you get caught would get you deported and barred from re-entry pretty much.

Owning your own business doesn't really mean much.

Best bet, bypass the US and head straight for Oz and do the student travel thing and shag your way across the country.
Ohhhh Bob, let me play
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

Clothing and sports retail/distribution.
Graphic Designer.
Web Designer.
Call out IT technician.

All small scale stuff, why do you ask?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Let you play?

I have contacts in the States. I'm fairly up to date on immigration laws.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:15 pm
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Don't forget, don't shag the dingo's in the bush, especially ones called `Shelia`........
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:17 pm

Let you play?

I have contacts in the States. I'm fairly up to date on immigration laws.
So you're coming over on VWP and expect to work?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Perhaps.

No biggie if i'm not successful.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:23 pm

Perhaps.

No biggie if i'm not successful.
No biggie if you get sent back on the next flight or no biggie if you don't find work?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not going to get sent back on any flight, that i'm confident of.

If i don't get a job, well fair enough.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:30 pm

I'm not going to get sent back on any flight, that i'm confident of.

If i don't get a job, well fair enough.
Well good luck Rich and don't forget to take your head out of your arse before you sit on the Aircraft seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.