Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Wikiposts

FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

redhotscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FINDING WORK IN USA easy/hard ??

Originally Posted by Elvira
Your questions are very detailed and specific and probably more suited to the US Immigration forum...
Many, many thanks for your fast reply and really useful comments. I missed the immigration forum before (but have found it now) and so will re-post in there.

Thanks again for your quick and detailed response.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

A cohabitating partner B-2 would be the thing for this situation ....
Old Oct 7th 2006, 12:41 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ray
A cohabitating partner B-2 would be the thing for this situation ....
Where would you land it?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

1- yes, wouldn't need a visa to search, use the VWP if eligable.

2- No, couldn't do voluntary work.

3- As Ray suggested, probably get 6 months at a time stay, but could apply for extension of stay, and for this reason, could probably get it.

Could always look at possibility of studying and getting an F1, or depending on when graduated etc, looking at a J1....Admin would stand a small chance of getting own H1 sponsorship.

If you haven't had your H1B applied for already, or if your potential job isn't with a uni, you won't be having the job anytime soon, as mentioned, the quota, would have to wait till next April before they could sponsor you for Oct start next year....so plenty of time to look at your options.

Originally Posted by redhotscott
My questions are:

1) Is it possible to search for a job with a visa sponsor while visiting the USA on a tourist visa (as she would be doing), then re-enter the country on the new visa?

2) If she doesn't find a job (or finds one but can't get a visa for it...she won't work illegally!), is it possible to undertake volunteer work on a tourist visa? She's keen to keep doing _something_ as otherwise if/when we return to the UK her CV would look poor.

3) I've read about "B" visas and them allowing people to stay as a visitor for an extended time - would she be able to get one of these as she'd be staying with me, in order to avoid the expense of frequent 3-monthly trips to Blighty and back again and, if so, does anyone have experience of doing it?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:11 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I am unduly flattered that this little quip got me FOUR doses of Karma.

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Are you Hispanic? Do you speak English and Spanish?

If the answer to both questions is yes then yes you can move here, no you won't need a visa and in 5 seconds flat you will be the foreman of a construction team.

:scared:
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:43 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a quote from the deluded RichP from another thread on the returning to the UK forum....

" I felt obliged to post here as i've seen Leeds mentioned a few times.

I live and have studied here. I'm 20. And i've got to say, as far as northern cities go, it is absolutely brilliant. Almost a 24 hour city, plenty to do, a safe atmosphere. Hell i love Leeds, i'll be sad to go but will definatley return.

Adios,

Rich"

I thought he said on this thread that after his illegal stay in the US he wasn't going to go back ....ever.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:50 am

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

How do you say Schmuck in Yorkshire ?

Originally Posted by Tangram
Here is a quote from the deluded RichP from another thread on the returning to the UK forum....

I live and have studied here. I'm 20. And i've got to say, as far as northern cities go, it is absolutely brilliant. Almost a 24 hour city, plenty to do, a safe atmosphere. Hell i love Leeds, i'll be sad to go but will definatley return.

Adios,

Rich"

I thought he said on this thread that after his illegal stay in the US he wasn't going to go back ....ever.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:51 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

How do you say Schmuck in Yorkshire ?
Git
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:38 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Git
Shouldn't that be t'git?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

stepowell is an unknown quantity at this point

once my visa went through I applied for a job 1 week after getting here and got the job
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:23 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepowell
once my visa went through I applied for a job 1 week after getting here and got the job

good maybe you can start and pay off your wife's loan then

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...13&postcount=1
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
good maybe you can start and pay off your wife's loan then

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...13&postcount=1

Good catch, Missus!!

Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

Adios,

Rich"

Resorting to keyboard attacks at 40 years old, deary me, 40 years old. Someones very bitter.

How do you say envy in Florida? No, don't tell me, i don't care.

Ta Ta
Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:39 pm

You are the one who contradicted yourself you juvenile, useless, Yorky tosser.

Why don't you post some videos of yourself being a wanker on You Tube?

Originally Posted by RichP
Resorting to keyboard attacks at 40 years old, deary me, 40 years old. Someones very bitter.

How do you say envy in Florida? No, don't tell me, i don't care.

Ta Ta
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

You are the one who contradicted yourself you juvenile, useless, Yorky tosser.

Why don't you post some videos of yourself being a wanker on You Tube?
I guess you've a right to be bitter; being called Terrence for the past 56 years must really wear you down sometimes. *giggles*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.