Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:04 pm
srh
Forum Regular

srh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Paradoxically that might have done more harm than good - people seeing it in a stack/screen of other applications may just assume the sponsorship, additional paperwork and cost will be required, and as Sir Eccles said, into the small round file your application goes. Remember most US citizens are completely ignorant of the US immigration process and about what a green card means for the employer if you already have a green card.

Give your US address and contact details, but I'd even go so far as to gloss over the location of the university you attended, don't lose it completely, but you need to get your application through any screening process and anything that screams "extra work required to hire this person" should be avoided.
For that reason, I also wrote that I will not require any visa related sponsorship now or in the future but that was only in my cover letters.

As for the location of my university, does that mean I don't need to put down 'UK' in there?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:09 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
LinkedIn is a great resource, you're just using it wrong. There are plenty of posts on BE with tips on how to use it though. Most involve how to avoid the HR black hole.

Large companies and local tech hubs usually have job fairs, there are a bunch in and around Boston on a monthly basis, you might have something similar.

Twitter, it's a good way to find info on local tech hub for jobs and events. Meetup.com can also be handy for events and don't forget FB groups.
Job Hunting Resouce : British Expat Wiki

I found that link but it only provides links to the resources. Is there a specific thread that contains all the information on Linkedin?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:09 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I work for a worldwide engineering company, and our company is also big on hiring fresh young graduates. Here in Phoenix we concentrate on Civil Engineering (specifically transportation design...roadways, bridges, tunnels, aviation). But it's a worldwide organization and they do all kinds of engineering elsewhere, so might be worth having a look at their job openings, if you haven't already: www.parsons.com

Rene
Thank you I will try that.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
For that reason, I also wrote that I will not require any visa related sponsorship now or in the future but that was only in my cover letters.

As for the location of my university, does that mean I don't need to put down 'UK' in there?
Unfortunately it is likely that nobody is reading that far. There maybe hundreds of applications for a job, and weeding through them is a PITA. I know I have hired a number of people myself over the past 5-6 years, probably 30-40 people and faced with a mountain of applications and my usual job to do in addition to hiring, most applications might get 20-30 seconds of my time, some even less. ..... Anything that looks like it might need extra work is going straight into the bin.

Whether your authorized to work might come up in an interview, even though it shouldn't, and only at the final paperwork stage should your green card status even be mentioned.

In theory what you have been doing is "by the book", but remember you are competing with others who aren't writing "no visa required" on their applications, so you are immediately sticking your neck above the parapet and inviting someone to say "hmm, looks like more work to hire him, ..... is he even in the US yet?".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 24th 2015 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:28 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Unfortunately it is likely that nobody is reading that far. There maybe hundreds of applications for a job, and weeding through them is a PITA. I know I have hired a number of people myself over the past 5-6 years, probably 30-40 people and faced with a mountain of applications and my usual job to do in addition to hiring, most applications might get 20-30 seconds of my time, some even less. ..... Anything that looks like it might need extra work is going straight into the bin.

Whether your authorized to work might come up in an interview, even though it shouldn't, and only at the final paperwork stage should your green card status even be mentioned.
So what do you suggest I do? Should I write no visa sponsorship required in the resume as well? There is one company I applied to and someone keeps looking at my application (I know because its updated real-time) but no reply so maybe the other person is right, they don't know what to do with it
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:30 pm
srh
Forum Regular

In theory what you have been doing is "by the book", but remember you are competing with others who aren't writing "no visa required" on their applications, so you are immediately sticking your neck above the parapet and inviting someone to say "hmm, looks like more work to hire him, ..... is he even in the US yet?".
Yeah but my resume says my US address. Can I ask what do you recruit for?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
Yeah but my resume says my US address. .....
So, stop there. That's enough IMO.
Can I ask what do you recruit for?
A US corporation, but not engineering.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
So what do you suggest I do? Should I write no visa sponsorship required in the resume as well? There is one company I applied to and someone keeps looking at my application (I know because its updated real-time) but no reply so maybe the other person is right, they don't know what to do with it
I wouldn't mention anything about green cards, visas, or sponsorship at all. You live in the USA and have the right to work, just like any other person in the USA who has the right to work, so make your resume like theirs...no mention of anything out of the ordinary.

You have a US address and US phone number...people will automatically assume you're in the USA and ready to work immediately.

Rene
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:40 pm

I wouldn't mention anything about green cards, visas, or sponsorship at all. You live in the USA and have the right to work, just like any other person in the USA who has the right to work, so make your resume like theirs...no mention of anything out of the ordinary.

You have a US address and US phone number...people will automatically assume you're in the USA and ready to work immediately. ....
This, all of it!
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:42 pm
srh
Forum Regular

So, stop there. That's enough IMO.
A US corporation, but not engineering.
Do you know anyone who does in engineering? Did you move to the US too? if so what did you do/write on your resume/cover letter that got you a job without scaring recruiters away?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:44 pm
srh
Forum Regular

You have a US address and US phone number...people will automatically assume you're in the USA and ready to work immediately.

Rene
But the reason why I put down my status in the first place was because all my education and work experience is in the UK, so that might have made them think I am just giving someone else's address and I am not really in the US.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by srh
But the reason why I put down my status in the first place was because all my education and work experience is in the UK, so that might have made them think I am just giving someone else's address and I am not really in the US.
You're over thinking this. I interviewed several people with a "local" address (same or neighbouring states), who it turned out to be non-local, but by that point it didn't matter because they had made it to the interview. If you don't even make it to the first interview you are never going to get the job!

In fact I routinely recommend people coming over to the US on a family visa to spoof a local address using a private PO Box service (use "unit #" or Apt #", not PO Box) and get a "local" phone number through VoIP, just to cut through the manual or automated filters that will automatically exclude applications from outside the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 24th 2015 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by srh
Do you know anyone who does in engineering? Did you move to the US too? if so what did you do/write on your resume/cover letter that got you a job without scaring recruiters away?
Local address and contact details only. When I first came over from the UK (Mrs P is a USC), I used a local, well connected, recruiter, she knew I had a green card (coming), but I don't know what she told prospective employers.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:02 pm
srh
Forum Regular

You're over thinking this. I interviewed several people with a "local" address (same or neighbouring states), who it turned out to be non-local, but by that point it didn't matter because they had made it to the interview. If you don't even make it to the first interview you are never going to get the job!

In fact I routinely recommend people coming over to the US on a family visa to spoof a local address using a private PO Box service (use "unit #" or Apt #", not PO Box) and get a "local" phone number through VoIP, just to cut through the manual or automated filters that will automatically exclude applications from outside the US.
So basically someone can set up a private mailbox to collect mail instead of their home address? I never knew this could happen..

I feel gutted now because I have applied to all the big companies and everyone of their vacancies while stating my status.

Last edited by srh; Jul 24th 2015 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
Job Hunting Resouce : British Expat Wiki

I found that link but it only provides links to the resources. Is there a specific thread that contains all the information on Linkedin?
Search job related threads, it's been posted loads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.