Reload this Page >

Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:41 pm
srh
Forum Regular

srh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Hello, I am a Graduate Mechanical Engineer with one year internship experience. I have recently moved to the US. I had some discussion with my University tutor and was told a better way to find a job in the US is to network with people. One way would be reach my University's Alumnus who are in the US.

Can you guys suggest what else I can do to network with people? I am using monster, engineeringjobs, indeed and careerbuilder at the moment for job hunting but I keep getting calls from people trying ask me to complete a course in IT instead, any more suggestions? Linkedin is not much help...

Also I am not limiting myself to one state, I have applied across the US. How long does it take for companies to respond if they do?

I want to try my luck on this website as well, so are there any engineers on here that work in a company that is looking for fresh graduate mechanical engineers with internship experience? Do you know of any hiring managers and how I can contact them?

Last edited by srh; Jul 24th 2015 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:54 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Most lager companies have entry level positions for recent graduates.
University job fairs seem to attract the larger companies.
What university did you attend? I assume not a masters but a B/Sc
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:02 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by excpomea
Most lager companies have entry level positions for recent graduates.
University job fairs seem to attract the larger companies.
What university did you attend? I assume not a masters but a B/Sc
Yes, I have applied to those entry level positions in larger companies to the point that now I have run out of more entry level positions to apply to. I have also tailored my Resume and cover letter to suit each of these. So far I have recieved about 5% rejections.

Can I go to any university job fair even if I didn't study there?

I have a Master's degree. Something I find confusing is that since I completed an integrated masters, my degree states Master's in Engineering rather than Master's in Science. Does it make a difference?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I take it that you have a visa for working in the US?

Linkedin is very good if you use it well. Contact people who work in the companies you would like a job with. Tell them what you are looking for (be specific) and ask if them if they can put you in touch with someone who might have jobs available.

Do an Msc at a US university.

4 year M Eng? Probably don't know what that is here....
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:10 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I take it that you have a visa for working in the US?

Linkedin is very good if you use it well. Contact people who work in the companies you would like a job with. Tell them what you are looking for (be specific) and ask if them if they can put you in touch with someone who might have jobs available.

Do an Msc at a US university.

4 year M Eng? Probably don't know what that is here....
Yes I do and I will try doing that on Linkedin then because till now I have only updated my location and experiences on Linkedin. I can't afford an MSc in the US atm but yes I have a 4 year MEng. Does that make a difference? What's the normal time for a Master's here in the US?

Last edited by srh; Jul 24th 2015 at 6:13 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can piece together... you are a greencard holder with a UK degree.

Most recruiters will look at it and not know what to do with it, into the round file you go.

Look at graduate internships, go to uni career fairs, get used to explaining you don't have a gpa, get used to not ever getting a response back. Think about doing a MSc in the US, build contacts while studying.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:44 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
From what I can piece together... you are a greencard holder with a UK degree.

Most recruiters will look at it and not know what to do with it, into the round file you go.

Look at graduate internships, go to uni career fairs, get used to explaining you don't have a gpa, get used to not ever getting a response back. Think about doing a MSc in the US, build contacts while studying.
I don't think doing an MSc is an option for me right now as I can't afford it. Is there any other ways of building contacts?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I know you have a gc from your previous posts and that your parents live in New Jersey, so how comes you have only lived in the States for a few months (which you viewed as a holiday) and what do your parents do for a living? Maybe they have contacts you can use. What kind of engineering job are you looking for? How about your university professors, maybe you could ask them for some leads. Emphasize the fact you are a gc holder as that is one expense less for a prospective employer. Use American terminology in your resume. Good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:28 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjmb
I know you have a gc from your previous posts and that your parents live in New Jersey, so how comes you have only lived in the States for a few months (which you viewed as a holiday) and what do your parents do for a living? Maybe they have contacts you can use. What kind of engineering job are you looking for? How about your university professors, maybe you could ask them for some leads. Emphasize the fact you are a gc holder as that is one expense less for a prospective employer. Use American terminology in your resume. Good luck.
Because by the time I got it, I was already pursuing a degree at a UK university, I had no real expenses and had to go back to finish studies. Anyway I am already trying my parent's contacts but not much luck. I have written in every cover letter and even on my resume that I am a GC holder. Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:33 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Is it worth putting down the fact that I have a US driver's license on my Resume?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

LinkedIn is a great resource, you're just using it wrong. There are plenty of posts on BE with tips on how to use it though. Most involve how to avoid the HR black hole.

Large companies and local tech hubs usually have job fairs, there are a bunch in and around Boston on a monthly basis, you might have something similar.

Twitter, it's a good way to find info on local tech hub for jobs and events. Meetup.com can also be handy for events and don't forget FB groups.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
Is it worth putting down the fact that I have a US driver's license on my Resume?
Not really. Won't hurt, but it's pretty meaningless.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

where did you study in the UK? Just being curious but there might be a really good network you can tap into. Where abouts do you want to work?

I know that my husbands (and JJMBs) company are concentrating on hiring "fresh-outs" at the mo in the hope of well, diluting the old fogeys I guess! Send me your cv via pm and I'll pass it on, although they may well be looking for electronic engineers.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
...... I have written in every cover letter and even on my resume that I am a GC holder. Thanks.
Paradoxically that might have done more harm than good - people seeing it in a stack/screen of other applications may just assume the sponsorship, additional paperwork and cost will be required, and as Sir Eccles said, into the small round file your application goes. Remember most US citizens are completely ignorant of the US immigration process and about what a green card means for the employer if you already have a green card.

Give your US address and contact details, but I'd even go so far as to gloss over the location of the university you attended, don't lose it completely, but you need to get your application through any screening process and anything that screams "extra work required to hire this person" should be avoided.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a worldwide engineering company, and our company is also big on hiring fresh young graduates. Here in Phoenix we concentrate on Civil Engineering (specifically transportation design...roadways, bridges, tunnels, aviation). But it's a worldwide organization and they do all kinds of engineering elsewhere, so might be worth having a look at their job openings, if you haven't already: www.parsons.com

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.