Reload this Page >

Finding a job in NYC

Finding a job in NYC

Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:09 am
Just Joined

minnie23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job in NYC

Hi all,

My husband has been offered a job in NYC via company transfer (so I can apply for an EAD), so we're seriously considering the offer. My biggest concern however is not being able to find a job in New York. Even though I have a Masters' degree and 5 years of professional experience in finance (and never had a problem finding a job in Europe), I am unsure about the job market/competitiveness in NYC. I've heard it is very hard nowadays to land a job there, and for every vacancy there is stiff competition. Any experiences to share on how hard/do-able it is to land a job there?

And what about the work culture? Are long hours and lots of pressure the norm or does this mainly depend on the company?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in NYC

Finance covers a wide spectrum of jobs. Which area of finance were you doing in Europe?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:09 am
Just Joined

I'm doing (business unit and project) Controlling. I do not have an ACCA/CPA (I am not an accountant), which could be a disadvantage as I know it is highly valued in the US.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Often, you work longer and appear to work harder, with less time off. But it does all depend on the job and seniority.

And yes, it is tough to get a job. It's all about networking.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

BHAFC14 is on a distinguished road

Workwise I find that I felt more pressure and stress when I was in London than I do in NY. I think the difference is the company that I now work for knows what it is doing !
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by minnie23

Even though I have a Masters' degree and 5 years of professional experience in finance (and never had a problem finding a job in Europe), I am unsure about the job market/competitiveness in NYC. I've heard it is very hard nowadays to land a job there, and for every vacancy there is stiff competition. Any experiences to share on how hard/do-able it is to land a job there?
I'm not sure about controlling specifically, but hiring in the financial sector in NYC seems to be in much better shape than London. This is from personal experience and talking to people in the sector, but even the payrolls data is showing a lot of job growth in the U.S. compared to stagnating numbers in Europe/the UK.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks all; the replies ease my mind a little bit!
What would be the best approach to find a job in NY? Would it be useful to register with several recruitment agencies or is it better to apply for jobs directly advertised on company websites? I know networking is another way of getting a job, but as a newcomer to the city, our network will be quite limited...
Old Jun 21st 2013, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How do you look for jobs in the UK?

It's no different.

Networking is key.

LinkedIn, join the groups that are appropriate, join FB/Meetup groups and go to the events and meet people.