Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Financial Advisors

Financial Advisors

Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:31 am
Just Joined

aziraphale will become famous soon enoughaziraphale will become famous soon enough
Default Financial Advisors

Things are moving fast towards my family upping sticks to Boston now (L1 petition was approved in December; embassy interview tomorrow, all setting up for a move in April or so).

We'd really like to get some professional advice about what to do in relation to our existing pensions, savings, tax, and so on, and the equivalent stuff in the US. Our situation is complicated because my wife's self employed (and will continue to be in the US once employment authorised).

Does anybody know of any financial advisors who can help out with personal/small business financial planning in an international context?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Advisors

I hooked up with these guys about 5 years ago - not sure if they may be able to help or if they are merely for the offshore tax free jurisdictions - Fraser Simpson Overseas Ltd. based in the Isle of Man. They may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It is very difficult to find someone who has a good understanding of both UK and US unless you go to one of the big firms who have international clients.

We looked for similar advice when we moved in 2006 and the only companies who we found with sufficient knowledge were too expensive compared to value of our investments. In the end we got professional advice at the UK end and when we got here sought advice from a US professional and made our decisions that way. With pension funds it is more what the various "laws" allow you to do that is the controlling factor.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do...wind it all down, start a new company in the US.

Keep pensions and savings as is as your probably not able to move them and you'd probably take a hit on them cashing out.

Plus you don't know if you'll hate it here or not.

Another plus with you having a job though, hopefully with good insurance, makes the missus job a lot easier when she sets up a new company as everyone is required to be insured in MA....but one thing to look into, have her set up her company in Delaware rather than MA, much better from a tax point of view and you don't need to be present.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

galskap is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this is useful for you or not, but if not it might be useful for someone else who stumbles upon this post from google or something:

I was searching recently for general info on financial advice and I found the following two books which give advice about finding a financial adviser:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Who...476993/?itm=77

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Who...538808/?itm=50

While I'm sure much of the info in these books is basic, still these two books might have some tidbit of information or might reference some sources of information that might better help you find the right financial adviser for you.

Best Regards,