Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally! Visa Interview!!

Finally! Visa Interview!!

Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:18 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally! Visa Interview!!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Costco sell luxury crackers...they're only around for about 2 weeks...buy them as soon as you see them.
AAAAAHHHHHH I'm a sams' club member not a costco one
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
AAAAAHHHHHH I'm a sams' club member not a costco one

Sam's Club is part of the Wallyworld Empire?

Whereas Costco has some of the best trading and employment policies to be found in the US
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Whereas Costco has some of the best trading and employment policies to be found in the US

Costco pay their staff well...give good healthcare benefits. The founder only takes $350K per yr salary.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:27 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I meant that I was annoyed to be (at this moment in time) a member of Sam's club as I don't think they sell any xmas crackers.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I meant that I was annoyed to be (at this moment in time) a member of Sam's club as I don't think they sell any xmas crackers.

ANother good reason to ditch them then!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:32 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Or do like we do. We have Costco membership, in laws have Sams. We take each other as guests when we go

One thing I remember about the medical I had ( 3 years ago) was that it didn't matter if you get there early, its all done in some random-ish fashion. My wife was so nervous we were there at just after 6:30 am queuing!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:36 pm

Believe me am now thinking of it. Was a member of Sam's club as for the 3rd time in moving in the US it still has been the closest to me. Now just down the road.
The nearest costco is a bit away but OH wanted to join it anyway to see whats' it like, and might now just do that.

Have no idea about all the practices of the companies - how did you find that all out, never heard of it.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:57 pm
Homebody

Believe me am now thinking of it. Was a member of Sam's club as for the 3rd time in moving in the US it still has been the closest to me. Now just down the road.
The nearest costco is a bit away but OH wanted to join it anyway to see whats' it like, and might now just do that.

Have no idea about all the practices of the companies - how did you find that all out, never heard of it.

For a start I read Barbara Ehrenreich's book ("Nickled and Dimed") - a real eye-opener!

David (Fatbrit) also wrote a very informative post at some poinht.

Prior to that, my DH did some research before we joined Costco, as he had heard/read somewhere that Costco are one of the more ethical US businesses.

Also, we are members of our local Coop, so to some extent in on the loop of who the good eggs are.

Bottomline is we try to avoid Walmart if at all possible.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

my interview which was 3 years ago for an h1b too some time. Or rather I queued for approximately 3 hours and then waited inside for another hour. The interview took 5 minutes or less.
Fortunately I asked in advance about this. I asked about how long the interview was and they said about 5 minutes but then they warned me I would probably be queueing for 3 hours or so.
It was the coldest day of the year and the poor saps in line with me actualyl believed that when it said 10am interview it meant 10am! There was a family infront of me with small children wearing hardly anything. By the end the kids were almost blue. I was suprised that some enterprising soul hadnt setup a coffee stand to keep people warm in the queue.
Interestingly the guy in front of me was a young guy who was off to discover a new particle or something, an atomic physicist. I was impressed anyway, had a good conversation about quarks, quantum theory and other sub atomic particle fun.

You have been warned, when it says 10am that does not mean you will actually be interviewed at 10am!

Of course you could get lucky though. I highly doubt that fluttering eyelashes will help either.
FOr watever reason I found the signs to be a little unclear (as they are throughout america) and couldnt find the entrance. I found what I thought was a gate in the embassy fence. I tried to open it and next thing I new I had 3 police marksmen aiming their guns at me calling me through a loud hailer. THey have marksmen on the roofs of all he buildings. Very scary. The whole of that square is micced up too.. They can pretty much hear everything you say anywhere in that area. A location scout I knew wanted to film in the square. He was discussing it and a policeman came up to him and told him he couldnt before he had even said anything...

Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by angelman
my interview which was 3 years ago for an h1b too some time. Or rather I queued for approximately 3 hours and then waited inside for another hour. The interview took 5 minutes or less.
Fortunately I asked in advance about this. I asked about how long the interview was and they said about 5 minutes but then they warned me I would probably be queueing for 3 hours or so.
It was the coldest day of the year and the poor saps in line with me actualyl believed that when it said 10am interview it meant 10am! There was a family infront of me with small children wearing hardly anything. By the end the kids were almost blue. I was suprised that some enterprising soul hadnt setup a coffee stand to keep people warm in the queue.
Interestingly the guy in front of me was a young guy who was off to discover a new particle or something, an atomic physicist. I was impressed anyway, had a good conversation about quarks, quantum theory and other sub atomic particle fun.

You have been warned, when it says 10am that does not mean you will actually be interviewed at 10am!

Of course you could get lucky though. I highly doubt that fluttering eyelashes will help either.
FOr watever reason I found the signs to be a little unclear (as they are throughout america) and couldnt find the entrance. I found what I thought was a gate in the embassy fence. I tried to open it and next thing I new I had 3 police marksmen aiming their guns at me calling me through a loud hailer. THey have marksmen on the roofs of all he buildings. Very scary. The whole of that square is micced up too.. They can pretty much hear everything you say anywhere in that area. A location scout I knew wanted to film in the square. He was discussing it and a policeman came up to him and told him he couldnt before he had even said anything...
Have no idea why anyone was queuing outside as I just followed the signs to go inside. The interview itself is less than 5 mins when you get to it. After how long I waited I think 3hrs is quite good! But Sorry to hear about your experience.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:07 pm

For a start I read Barbara Ehrenreich's book ("Nickled and Dimed") - a real eye-opener!

David (Fatbrit) also wrote a very informative post at some poinht.

Prior to that, my DH did some research before we joined Costco, as he had heard/read somewhere that Costco are one of the more ethical US businesses.

Also, we are members of our local Coop, so to some extent in on the loop of who the good eggs are.

Bottomline is we try to avoid Walmart if at all possible.
thanks for that info, will try and find out more especially about the ethics side.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that info, will try and find out more especially about the ethics side.
I agree with Elvira...Nickled and Dimed is well worth reading.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree with Elvira...Nickled and Dimed is well worth reading.
thanks I will, looks like I'll have to know about the subject as my 3 different neighbours work at Costco's headquarters.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:39 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman

Oh dear, I'd be terrified if that happened to me, but it's a good story to tell!

I'm going for my K3 visa interview, I had my medical in October so that's out of the way.

You have just made my mind up for me about what I was going to wear on the day. When I went to London for the medical, I ended up carrying my coat cos I was rushing around everywhere and got really hot, but if there's a chance I'll be queuing up outside then I'm gonna take it again.

I'm very prepared for the wait, I've heard lots of people saying that it would be a long day, so I have puzzle books and magazines and lots of chocolate and crisps. Is there anywhere to get a hot drink once you are inside the embassy?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Oh dear, I'd be terrified if that happened to me, but it's a good story to tell!

I'm going for my K3 visa interview, I had my medical in October so that's out of the way.

You have just made my mind up for me about what I was going to wear on the day. When I went to London for the medical, I ended up carrying my coat cos I was rushing around everywhere and got really hot, but if there's a chance I'll be queuing up outside then I'm gonna take it again.

I'm very prepared for the wait, I've heard lots of people saying that it would be a long day, so I have puzzle books and magazines and lots of chocolate and crisps. Is there anywhere to get a hot drink once you are inside the embassy?
yes there's a vending machine and a man selling drinks crisps etc if I remember correctly. But I never waited a min outside I just went straight in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.