Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

Wikiposts

Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

Originally Posted by sibsie
Need to spread myself first. Best of British!
Please explain yourself madam.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:35 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic news Rince, keep your cool and good luck!!!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:36 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, Rince - I'm sure you can do it!

Elvira
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:09 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
The job market in I.T. is getting better............................................ .............finally.
I'd really like to believe that was so. Over in Britain I had a bit of a hard time of it for a while after a drunk security man (the mind boggles) decided to crash a red light and hit the side of my Dad's car at a junction, injuring me! You can imagine the rest, so took a couple of years before I was fully recovered and completely fit and able to do my job again in the meantime I could not renew my contract and could not drive my car so was unemployed.

OK I recovered at long last, and I found it really difficult to get back into the Computing Industry at any level. Agencies were really weird when I tried to explain the gap on my CV etc. and the last thing you want to mention is that you wre injured, even though I had a clean licence and was running again (I've been athlete in the past, so generally I'm a pretty fit guy.) Eventually I thought well what else can I do, I took a job as an Internet Service Advisor, doesn't pay well there seemed to be a lot of going on and it got me back into the industry. So now I'm in the USA and starting to look for work. So particularly interested in anyones experiences in the job market. I'll be watching this board to see how Rincewind gets on.

There's a point to what I'm prattling on about, no really, it's think outside the box a little. In my case I've only just been given the EAD and I am looking not just at Computing but at anything else that I could do. eg. Considering Electrical retail, Lab Techy, I have an additional qualie in sales & marketing so to show you how wide I'm looking thought about Car Sales (so not just computing). I do notice that there are generally more (wider) opportunities here and in Texas I am always seeing signs saying hiring now for all kinds of entry level stuff I could do, whereas in the UK I always felt that there was a slight attitude from employers and agencies that once you've set yourself in one direction, it is very hard to change and look for anything else.

Still I've got all this to go through yet to find a little job. Even reached the conclusion that I don't care if I'm flipping burgers first time out, need a local reference! So if you ever find a cute athletic man with a slight brogue serving you burgers through the window at Wendy's hey that could be me! :scared:

So anyway Rincewind, best attitude tomorrow (IMHO) and which has worked for me in the past is to go in there wanting the job, but not to be desperate. Take control of the interview first chance or at least 50-50. They respect that. Makes you look and feel confident.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:15 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
So anyway Rincewind, best attitude tomorrow (IMHO) and which has worked for me in the past is to go in there wanting the job, but not to be desperate. Take control of the interview first chance or at least 50-50. They respect that. Makes you look and feel confident.
Agreed. I'm a stickler for questions. I always like to throw in a couple of rooms for improvement if I spot them. With Web, I always check out their site first and say "did you realize that your web site is not valid X-HTML and not accessibility compliant??" After the stunned looks, you explain how you can help them.

Be interesting to see if that tack works in the States. Never failed in the UK.

Well, just finished washing the Mini. Don't want to pull up in a dirty car. And now the bloody rain clouds are looming Great, a whole week of hot sun and the day I wash my car, it threatens to rain. Happens every day.

Right, now time for a bath and a shave so I can hit the shower in the morning. May print out some Resume copies while I'm at it.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
150 + job applications and I finally have an interview.

Tomorrow is suit and tie day for a trip to Smyrna, Georgia for a Web Designer position.

After trying Dice.com, ComputerJobs.com, CareerBuilder.com and the ever crap Monster.com, I found one on Craiglist.org.

No agency.

Applied last night after having a look through and I got a call first thing this morning.

So, I'll be nervous on my three hour drive in the morning
Hey just saw this thread Rince....best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think, YOU ARE THE JOB...
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:59 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Hey just saw this thread Rince....best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think, YOU ARE THE JOB...
Thanks AmerLisa. Gonna wear me lucky undies
Old Jun 21st 2005, 11:09 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

Every road comes to a destination eventually. I sincerely hope that this is yours.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you.

Bet you nail it.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, show us a picture!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:35 pm
You Are All Diseased

Sorry, we're not in TIO
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

I wish you all the best for tomorrow...

Just one question: is that Marylin Manson on your avatar?

(It's horrible! It looks too mean and harsh. Please change it if you get the job? )
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:10 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I wish you all the best for tomorrow...

Just one question: is that Marylin Manson on your avatar?

(It's horrible! It looks too mean and harsh. Please change it if you get the job? )
Sure is Manson. He's my hero

I may change it. How about this version?

Attached Images  
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

BE logo ones, of course.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:16 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
BE logo ones, of course.
Nah, I wear those at bed time, LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.