Reload this Page >

Filing Taxes for 2006

Filing Taxes for 2006

Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:11 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Does anyone do their own tax returns?! We did ours last year and it was fine. This year we moved states halfway through the year, and both of us changed jobs. I might get help with my filing too.
Nope send it all to our CPA....well worth the few bucks
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:14 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I feel an instant rebate rip-off coming on here! Don't do it!
Never heard of any instant rebate rip-off. We just use the insurance/peace of mind thing & that's it.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:15 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yes, I'm sure that's true, but I only got my SSN a few months ago, so I have used my TIN within this year. Next year I'm sure it won't be a problem.
I'm sure you will still only be able to one or the other
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:16 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladylisa
What put me off ever doing my own taxes is last year one of the news channels got a couple to fill out there own tax returns and then they got H & R to do it and the couple were a $1000 off on their return.

We paid an accountant last year which was easy for us as we have UK property, she got us a huge rebate. But we paid her $250 which now seems expensive after reading some of these posts.
Damn..... maybe I'll look into H&R - do they check recent years ?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:19 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
I'm sure you will still only be able to one or the other
Yes, that's fine, but I want a note put on it saying that I also have a TIN, so they will have all my history available to them.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:29 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Does anyone do their own tax returns?! We did ours last year and it was fine. This year we moved states halfway through the year, and both of us changed jobs. I might get help with my filing too.
I've been doing my wife's (the USC) while she was in the UK and now ours here in the US (using Taxcut I think - been a year ). I've had no problems, even with money in different countries, house etc. I had Taxcut people check it out through their online service last year ($20 I think) and they had no suggestions for further savings, nor did they suggest any changes.

Having said that we have started up pensions this 2005 tax year. If it starts to look messy I'll get someone else to look into it but I don't anticipate any problems.

How hard can it be? (note to pedants - that last question was a joke).
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

I used H&R Block a couple of years ago and had no problems whatsoever. Last year I simply looked at the one H&R Block had done and substituted the current numbers in the appropriate places. Easy. Of course, you have to make sure your deductions, status etc haven't changed. However, I don't know if this would work with a more complex tax return.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of any instant rebate rip-off. We just use the insurance/peace of mind thing & that's it.

The insurance is fine. If you read the old threads, someone got an excellent deal with this and a complicated tax problems.

The loan is referred to by H&R as a refund anticipation loan (RAL). It means you get your refund instantly rather than waiting the 8 to 15 days for the IRS to refund it to your bank account. It is a total rip-off and should be avoided at all costs.

The guy who does your taxes @ H&R will most probably have been hassled to death by his/her manager to persuade as many customers as possible to take these. They are an extremely bad way of borrowing money for 3 weeks but extremely profitable for H&R.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:37 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
I used H&R Block a couple of years ago and had no problems whatsoever. Last year I simply looked at the one H&R Block had done and substituted the current numbers in the appropriate places. Easy. Of course, you have to make sure your deductions, status etc haven't changed. However, I don't know if this would work with a more complex tax return.
How much did you pay? Do they do state tax returns as well?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:45 am
Back where I belong!

The insurance is fine. If you read the old threads, someone got an excellent deal with this and a complicated tax problems.

The loan is referred to by H&R as a refund anticipation loan (RAL). It means you get your refund instantly rather than waiting the 8 to 15 days for the IRS to refund it to your bank account. It is a total rip-off and should be avoided at all costs.

The guy who does your taxes @ H&R will most probably have been hassled to death by his/her manager to persuade as many customers as possible to take these. They are an extremely bad way of borrowing money for 3 weeks but extremely profitable for H&R.
Oh actually, this sounds familiar now. I think they asked us last year, but we turned it down as we prefer to wait, it really doesn't take that long to get your rebate anyway!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh actually, this sounds familiar now. I think they asked us last year, but we turned it down as we prefer to wait, it really doesn't take that long to get your rebate anyway!
Excellent news!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:31 am
bright spark

Excellent news!
As a (soon to be) new tax victim......could anyone just outline the sorts of records, receipts, bits of paper etc that we have to kepp on a daily basis while living in the US.

When do taxes have to be filed?

We are moving to Texas which has no state income tax, so how does this affect us..................we know nothing, so anything would help.

Thanx :scared:

Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bright spark
As a (soon to be) new tax victim......could anyone just outline the sorts of records, receipts, bits of paper etc that we have to kepp on a daily basis while living in the US.

We are moving to Texas which has no state income tax, so how does this affect us..................we know nothing, so anything would help.

What to keep depends on what you want tax deductions you want to take advantage of.

Mine is straightforward, so I just keep my paystubs (in fact I think really I'd only need my last paystub of the year as this has all the relevant info on it).
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:38 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bright spark

You local library should have some helpful books...
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

The only receipts we keep are for medical bills.

During 2005 we had unexpected out of pocket expenses totalling almost $7,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.