Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filing Taxes for 2006

Filing Taxes for 2006

Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
How much can one expect to pay for such a priviledge ??
I paid $160 for a 2-state return. I thought it was pretty low.

Why don't you just do the 1040EZ form by yourself, or am I missing something?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:34 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I used this last year... it worked very well and was cheap.

www.taxact.com
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:35 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Partystar
Same here, that was last year. We paid the little bit extra for the 'protection'. Which means that if the IRS find a mistake from the H&R Block quotes, then H&R Block will pay your refund to you. It's worth it just in case they cock it up.
And how many people would be able to say they had been 100% accurate and watertight if they prepared thier own taxes? I know I couldn't. I think its worth 100 bucks for the peace of mind....the IRS are one bunch you dont want to piss around with. They make the USCIS seem like a boy scout troop.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:37 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I paid $160 for a 2-state return. I thought it was pretty low.

Why don't you just do the 1040EZ form by yourself, or am I missing something?
Haven't really started to look at it yet, but just took the opportunity of this thread to get some info.
Like I said my returns should be pretty straightforward though people have told me that I can claim back any expenses i incurred in moving out here last July.
I thought initially that it might be best to use H&R for my first time, especially if its only $100, then I can do it myself in future years if it does turn out to be that easy.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
They make the USCIS seem like a boy scout troop.
In some ways I disagree. They answer the phone, reply to your letters, give sound advice to your queries, and are generally fair with a human side but strict. USCIS on the other hand...

In the old days when they virtually ran their own courts and were prosecutor, judge and jury, it was a different matter. But now I don't believe they are any worse than any other govt dept and perhaps a little bit better.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't really started to look at it yet, but just took the opportunity of this thread to get some info.
Like I said my returns should be pretty straightforward though people have told me that I can claim back any expenses i incurred in moving out here last July.
I thought initially that it might be best to use H&R for my first time, especially if its only $100, then I can do it myself in future years if it does turn out to be that easy.
I used H&R the first time for the same reason (and the fact I was filing for IL and NY); they are zero hassle, I called them, made an appoinment for the same day and got it all sorted in less than 30 minutes.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you use the software, it's normally $20 to $50 depending on whether you're self-employed or not. And it's basically all they're doing if you go to visit them @ the mall instead.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:46 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

And how many people would be able to say they had been 100% accurate and watertight if they prepared thier own taxes? I know I couldn't. I think its worth 100 bucks for the peace of mind....the IRS are one bunch you dont want to piss around with. They make the USCIS seem like a boy scout troop.
I agree. Maybe if we were just an average American couple, but because one of us isn't a USC, I feel something could easily go wrong, so I'd better not take the chance.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:49 am
Septicity

For newbies to US tax who go to a preparer to do their taxes, watch out for them trying to sell you the instant refund -- it's a rip-off!!!

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/news/20030127a1.asp
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

We have in the past used an accountant to do ours, but he was getting pricey. I was thinking about using H & R Block, so I was glad to see positive reviews of them.

My situation is a bit tricker as I live in one state and work in another. So I prefer just to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

I also agree about the instant refunds - they can be v. dangerous.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:58 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
I agree. Maybe if we were just an average American couple, but because one of us isn't a USC, I feel something could easily go wrong, so I'd better not take the chance.
We've filed our own with the taxact online thing for the past few years without any problems... Costs about $10-$20 and gets our refund back to our bank in about 3 weeks. Works fine for me.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our TurboTax Deluxe software from Sam's Club yesterday ($33.87). It will be the 3rd time using TurboTax and there is no limit on how much you earn to use the software. It is extremely straightforward and usually takes me an hour or so to complete and then e-file.

The first year here when hubby had salary from both UK and the USA we used an independent accountant to sort out our taxes.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:02 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

H&R block are not 100% accurate either

I got a $900 refund from the IRS saying I had paid too much after I sepnt nearly $300 at H&R block premium. If the IRS reckoned I paid too much them I'm sure I should have got even more back

Monkeys - I was very annoyed
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:07 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
We've filed our own with the taxact online thing for the past few years without any problems... Costs about $10-$20 and gets our refund back to our bank in about 3 weeks. Works fine for me.
It just worries me a bit & I like the peace of mind. I also have a TIN & a SSN, so that's another factor that's a bit weird, plus stuff that I think is deductible, but not entirely sure, so it's just easier for us to go to H&R Block.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
H&R block are not 100% accurate either

I got a $900 refund from the IRS saying I had paid too much after I sepnt nearly $300 at H&R block premium. If the IRS reckoned I paid too much them I'm sure I should have got even more back

Monkeys - I was very annoyed
No they arent...and thats the point. If they screw up your return then they are liable for the fines /interest etc. If you screw up your return it could get mighty expensive.

Im not saying you cant so it yourself, but our taxes are far from easy due to overseas earnings etc, so I would rather spend $100 on someone else doing it for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.