Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:22 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
So you think it is greatly due to Disney World?

I prefer Six Flags over Disney every time.
I've personally never been to disney. I think I am going to six flags in chicago in a couple of weeks though....

seriously, so many brits see florida because of disney - if it wasn't there I don't think the mass market would be there as much as it is.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Try also not to characterize me in a negative way, as you do in your last sentence, while asking me to explain myself. Otherwise there is no point in going any further. If a person is really interested then they don't try and knock the person down before they have a chance to answer.
Works both ways mate.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:27 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I've personally never been to disney. I think I am going to six flags in chicago in a couple of weeks though....

seriously, so many brits see florida because of disney - if it wasn't there I don't think the mass market would be there as much as it is.
A lot of Brits live well away from the Disney area......but wanting to live where you have great holidays is something even Americans do.....house prices on the Cape are high because Americans who holiday here....want to retire or have a second home here......
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed...Disney put FL on the map.....but to be honest we don't go much......But without Disney FL wouldn't be what it is.......
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Look Lisa, just move on then. You don't have to read whatever I post.

If you ever want to chat in the future, in a more friendly way, then I'd be happy to do so. Really.

Take care.
Look Fig, because I ask you a point blank question doesn't mean I'm being openly hostile. Certainly if you post on an open forum, and jump in with both guns blaring, then you are going to solicit some hostilites, or in my case, questions. If you don't want to/or can't answer why you'd be contributing to a British Expats site, then so be it. Instead of turning my questions back on to me, you might have enough courage to answer them.

Peace.

Here's friendly for you.....how's the weather in California?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
Agreed...Disney put FL on the map.....but to be honest we don't go much......But without Disney FL wouldn't be what it is.......
I'm quite sure there would be a lot of Floridians that would disagree with you. Ray might be one of them.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Works both ways mate.
Why do we always get the ones that don't understand the "pot calling the kettle black" syndrome?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:38 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

I thing this is definitely a brit thing (mainly)...

when in the Uk for a couple of weeks and i meet up with my friends I laugh more than I do in six months in the US - due to the sarcastic piss-take banter and self-deprecating humour.

I find (in my eyes) Americans generally take themselves far too seriously - but its a different culture...

I'm just glad my wife copes with it fine

Someone sent me an article from your Guardian paper and I skimmed through it and it mentions more of a dark humor compared to the past. Sorry, but this is mainly what I have seen, especially as it relates to the easy target that America tends to be. It becomes quite hostile and certainly anti-American.

It's also not a question of "Americans generally take themselves far too seriously" but that there is a time and place for such things. Even in comedy sketches or shows there is rarely a truely mean intent beyond the comedy, except for some like newer stuff from people like George Carlin. Brits tend to like to complain and knock things and people down to such a casual extent that I believe it is destructive in the long term, and sorry but offensive to other cultures. I've given the advice before, that does not go over well over here. Not as much as it used to but it is still the case.

Also, one can not go into another country and expect to viewed in the same light as the locals would view each other. Throw in some sarcasm with a foreign accent and the situation can quickly go downhill from there.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to read my posts Duncan as I would just be beating the same drum all over again, and at a slow typing rate. If you are really interested you'll read them and then ask me something more specific.

Try also not to characterize me in a negative way, as you do in your last sentence, while asking me to explain myself. Otherwise there is no point in going any further. If a person is really interested then they don't try and knock the person down before they have a chance to answer.
Actually I did read the previous posts but found nothing citing a specific post or comment that made you start to post here, just generalizations. Maybe you misunderstood the question so I will try and make it more specific. Can you give me an example(s) with the date(s), thread title(s) and post number(s) that has made you feel the need to come onto a British Expat board and post your guide to how an immigrant should act in America, think that the majority of people on this board are anti-American and generally post nonsensical ramblings in a way that it looks like you are trying to have an intelligent, rational discussion, and why it upset you so much?

I wasn't, and am not, trying to criticize or have a go at you, I just can't see where you are coming from or what has made you feel the way that you do. It just seemed that something must have been inside you and snapped as your comments and behavior just doesn't seem to be rational.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:40 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Go to the one in Jersey (Great Adventure) as it has now the fastest roller coaster in the wrold (175 mph?)
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Works both ways mate.

You have been characterized in a negative manner because of your prior posts, and rightly so.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by emmals

Actually it would be much better as it would have less people.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it would be much better as it would have less people.
pmsl.....ahhhh but the mouse is ace man
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You have been characterized in a negative manner because of your prior posts, and rightly so.
both AmerLisa and LIW are American Citizens, so they have the right to be negative.

apparently.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually she makes quite a bit of sense on here. You've characterised her in a negative manner (and rightly so because you can't find anything positive on this website - which begs me to ask the question again WHY ARE YOU HERE?) Anyway, carry on....I'll get bored of your circling in a minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.