Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Wikiposts

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:49 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it boils down to how you present your views, there have been plenty of debates on this site, good ones too with people with completely opposite views, gets hairy, but doesn't have to get nasty.

Well, if you were fair and impartial, which you are not, you would see quite clearly where the nastiness came from, and were it is still coming from.

From a business point of view I can understand why you would be reluctant to alienate a group of your members over one but that doesn't change the obviousness of what goes on here.

Originally Posted by Bob
People haven't been polite to you, but then you have also returned the favour by dismissing people out of hand simply because we don't conform to certain views, and I'm including the American contigent that you dismiss.
Interesting how you are so concerned about people being dismissed after they are obviously rude and vile to other members. Shall I include some of their most lovely comments for you to try and explain?

Originally Posted by Bob
You do have to bare in mind this is a Brit Ex-pat site designed for Brits all over the globe, and most here dont' have a problem with settling down, I certainly don't have a problem with being in America and have plenty of friends here, in the long run though, I'm indifferent, couldn't care either way if I were to stay or go, but, as with many here, we have had to prove ourselves in getting our visa's, so we can contribute to this country just as well as any native American, and in a lot of cases, more so.
Well, as I've said before, you people are no longer in the UK, you are in America now. You are in a country with a different culture that many here do not want to respect and that many here are openly hostile to. If you don't consider yourself to be in that category then feel free to exclude yourself.

As an immigrant you can't expect to come into a country and demand that its culture change and accomodate to the one you are used to. That doesn't mean you are not allowed to hold dissenting views, especially after you get citizenship, but you and others here need to face the reality that since you have grown up in another culture you will never have that way of life again. It is arrogant and insulting to your new culture, and its citizens, to make such demands while constantly trying to tear it down. If you or others find it disturbing to hear an American pointing that out and/or you look down upon respecting and assimilating into a new culture then maybe emigrating is not for you, or them.

Once again, if those words don't apply to you, or anyone else here, then feel free to exclude yourselves.

Originally Posted by Bob
But anyway, enough diatribe, I'm going to bed, and when I wake up, I want a nice happy thread, nothing nasty spouted from anyone towards anyone or the shite will get deleted and locked.

Goodnight all.
Right, and will that be a business decision or a moral one?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Still don't want to answer my original question which I made quite clear so you wouldn't misunderstand and answer something else? So by your own admission earlier in this thread, the only reason you posted was because people called you names. Good reason, if you're 5!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:15 am
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Still don't want to answer my original question which I made quite clear so you wouldn't misunderstand and answer something else?
Ask it again as it is so easy to get lost in all the nonsense people post.

So by your own admission earlier in this thread, the only reason you posted was because people called you names. Good reason, if you're 5!
Wrong, try reading again.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:32 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Fig, if you tried to share your thoughts in a more friendly 'down to earth' manner things would have worked out better for you.
From my interpretation of your posts, you have been very patronizing and condescending. No wonder people have become defensive.

I live in North Florida and do not have any British friends in this area. All my friends are American and I know that sarcasm and irony is not used in humour by them, so I don't use it either when I'm with them. Why oh why though, is not not OK to use sarcasm, irony or cynicism amongst other Brits on a forum, when cleary the majority of us get it?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

waitttttt ... I swore to myself I wouldnt get involved with this fig newton person ... on account of figs not agreeing with me (if you get my meaning)

Fig .. you said you were in the Airforce .. worked on F-16's and you seriously were never ever ever ever stationed in the UK ? Even my neighbour who was a lowly bolt ... or is that nut ? ehem ... was stationed at Upper Heyford.

*sigh* see now I've gotten involved with another cyber-argument

Jan
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have only been living in the US for 3 months so I suppose I can be excused, but I honestly didn't know what Fig Newtons where. I was watching the TV last night and a comedian was doing his routine and mentioned 'Fig Newton' and just for a second I thought that OUR Fig Newton had become so famous (or infamous) he was being discussed on the TV..... silly me.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:01 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
waitttttt ... I swore to myself I wouldnt get involved with this fig newton person ... on account of figs not agreeing with me (if you get my meaning)

Fig .. you said you were in the Airforce .. worked on F-16's and you seriously were never ever ever ever stationed in the UK ? Even my neighbour who was a lowly bolt ... or is that nut ? ehem ... was stationed at Upper Heyford.

*sigh* see now I've gotten involved with another cyber-argument

Jan

Never mind him, go and talk to Yorkie (new poster). He's planning on moving to Houghton Lake.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:10 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Well I have only been living in the US for 3 months so I suppose I can be excused, but I honestly didn't know what Fig Newtons where. I was watching the TV last night and a comedian was doing his routine and mentioned 'Fig Newton' and just for a second I thought that OUR Fig Newton had become so famous (or infamous) he was being discussed on the TV..... silly me.
Fig Newtons were created in 1891 by the Kennedy Biscuit Works in Cambridgeport, Massachusetts. They had named many of their other cookies for nearby towns, and almost called it the "Fig Shrewsbury" before Newton won out.

The following alternate story is from an article in the St. Petersburg Times, 1998: "The man who originated the Fig Newton, Charles Roser put his cookie recipe to work in his factory in Kenton, Ohio, and sold out to Nabisco in 1910, says Ray Arsenault, in ‘St. Petersburg and the Florida Dream.’�

According to Nabisco: Fig Newtons were named after either Sir Isaac Newton or the town of Newton, Massachussettes

Fig Newtons were one of the first commercially baked products in America.

This cookie is the 3rd most popular cookie in the U.S., over 1 billion are consumed each year.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

My post.

You seem to have a knack of reading something and then answering something completely different! I asked why you felt the need to come on a British Expat board and post your guide to how immigrants should act in America and why you think most people here are anti American. If your only reason is that somebody called you vile names that your arguments are weak at best, not to mention the most childish thing I have seen in a long time. By your logic I could say "I went to Applebee’s and had a steak that tasted like shit" and I would be anti restaurant or watch a TV show and say "That was a big pile of dog shit" and I would be anti TV!

Are you a politician? Seriously, because people ask you a question and you give them an answer that has nothing to do with the question and doesn't answer it. I’m just trying to find out your motivation for starting what you have started and then maybe it will make sense and possibly other people will be able to see your points, but right now you just post more and more nonsense and confuse more and more people.
And the only answer you gave to the question in the original post
...and people calling me an aryan and a twat and other vile names...
You gave no other explanation after asking the question twice so I had to go by what you had written.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:14 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Fig Newtons were created in 1891 by the Kennedy Biscuit Works in Cambridgeport, Massachusetts. They had named many of their other cookies for nearby towns, and almost called it the "Fig Shrewsbury" before Newton won out.

The following alternate story is from an article in the St. Petersburg Times, 1998: "The man who originated the Fig Newton, Charles Roser put his cookie recipe to work in his factory in Kenton, Ohio, and sold out to Nabisco in 1910, says Ray Arsenault, in ‘St. Petersburg and the Florida Dream.’�

According to Nabisco: Fig Newtons were named after either Sir Isaac Newton or the town of Newton, Massachussettes

Fig Newtons were one of the first commercially baked products in America.

This cookie is the 3rd most popular cookie in the U.S., over 1 billion are consumed each year.

Let's do a Biscuit History thread. It would have about as much point as this one - probably more. Can you do Hob Nobs?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Never mind him, go and talk to Yorkie (new poster). He's planning on moving to Houghton Lake.
I already did ... .sent him a pm

Jan
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I already did ... .sent him a pm

Jan
Cool. Better tell him where to buy snow plows, too.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One other thing. You do realize that a high proportion of people on the USA forum are married to Americans and that is the reason they are here? I think that being involved in an American family will give you the a pretty good view into how Americans think, something you say we can't know because we are immigrants.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:20 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Let's do a Biscuit History thread. It would have about as much point as this one - probably more. Can you do Hob Nobs?
No it only does triva on American food......

I found this.....

“Hob-nob� is a term that was made popular in the United States during the 1920’s. It means to associate on very friendly terms, to drink and chat together. The term was frequently followed by the word “with�, as in “She hob-nobs with royalty�.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Maybe Fig, if you tried to share your thoughts in a more friendly 'down to earth' manner things would have worked out better for you.
From my interpretation of your posts, you have been very patronizing and condescending. No wonder people have become defensive.
Maybe you should really read the posts or stop trying to not offend your group members.

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I live in North Florida and do not have any British friends in this area. All my friends are American and I know that sarcasm and irony is not used in humour by them, so I don't use it either when I'm with them. Why oh why though, is not not OK to use sarcasm, irony or cynicism amongst other Brits on a forum, when cleary the majority of us get it?
Once again, try really reading the threads.

Good for you for not being sarcastic to your American friends but if you truely don't think there is anything wrong with being sarcastic in everyday life then go right ahead and use it on them. Then try and explain you were simply being humorous. Good luck if you do, but don't be surprised if you lose many, if not most, of your American friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.