Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A few questions for you ....

A few questions for you ....

Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:27 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions for you ....

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was on the lunchtime news that a dozen people in New York State are being tested for rabies after rescuing a baby racoon.
yes, that's why they euthenize ones that come around and walk inside your house! BTW it wasn't free. I had to pay a catcher to come. He set traps, and we had to $100 for each one trapped. It was quite an experience. Over the course of the days that he was trapping, we trapped our neighbour's cat twice, and the other neighbour's dog once. I ran out early in the morning to try and get the beagle out, and didn't know how the catch worked. he slobbered all over my hands while I tried to get him out. In the meantime, I could hear his name being called!!! (i didn't want them to know he was trapped!).

We caught 3 coons.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Another thank you from me to you guys ...

I've been back to Home Depot and complained about the machines we bought (had already spoken to them on the phone so it wasn't a surprise).

They've agreed to swap out my machines for front loaders, which is what I wanted in the first place if I'm totally honest. I was swayed by the salesMAN and should have listened to my gut instinct.

Anyhow, all sorted - and I wasn't standing for their policy of 'you can exchange, but you have to detach appliances and bring them back to the store'. Erm, no! They don't do what they said they would on the tin, so I'm not a happy bunny!

Will take delivery of my new LGs next Wednesday

Thanks again for all your advice on the machines.

Next I'll be putting your detergents to the test as I'm about to run out soon!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Another thank you from me to you guys ...

I've been back to Home Depot and complained about the machines we bought (had already spoken to them on the phone so it wasn't a surprise).

They've agreed to swap out my machines for front loaders, which is what I wanted in the first place if I'm totally honest. I was swayed by the salesMAN and should have listened to my gut instinct.

Anyhow, all sorted - and I wasn't standing for their policy of 'you can exchange, but you have to detach appliances and bring them back to the store'. Erm, no! They don't do what they said they would on the tin, so I'm not a happy bunny!

Will take delivery of my new LGs next Wednesday

Thanks again for all your advice on the machines.

Next I'll be putting your detergents to the test as I'm about to run out soon!
Good for you...well done. Happy laundry.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a couple of questions, so rather than post individual threads, thought I'd combine them onto one!

Hopefully you'll be able to help me on a few points.

a) Do you recycle everything? I'm finding the recycle facilities here poor to say the least and end up putting all my plastic into bags in the garage waiting for enough to warrant a trip to the recycle yard half an hour away. What do you do with yours? Am I cancelling out one effort with another by driving so far to take it?

b) Which washer did you buy? I chose an economic top loader as I was told they washed better, but were friendlier to the environment than usual top loaders as they used less water. I'm finding it doesn't wash properly and now sincerely regretting not spending the extra on a front loader. Or am I using the wrong detergent?

c) Which washing detergent do you use and why? See above ..

d) Do you compost your food waste? I've brought my counter crockpot with me, but we don't have a compost bin. Easy answer would be to buy one, but we're leasing, so would have to leave it, and I'm not sure how the landlords would take us having one? (will have to ask). But then again, they have this mulch stuff going on on top of their soil (to stop weeds I'd guess and keep moisture in), so what would I do with the compost??!

e) Which dishwasher tablets do you use and does your dishwasher take salt? They looked at me like I was an alien when I asked for it!

I'm sure there are more questions (sorry!) but none that spring to mind right now - although as soon as I press 'submit' I'll remember them all!

Thanks everyone
a) I Recycle paper and glass, but here in the Woodlands collection is non-existent.

b) I have Sears Kenmore brand, reliable but a rustbucket.

c) I try to use what I had in UK, Proctor and Gamble products.

d) Compost food waste? No, lol.

e) Only dishwasher I have are my two arms
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good for you...well done. Happy laundry.

I used to work for Home Depot, the aftersales services in Appliances is not very good. Lowes is better for aftersales service.

I should know, being an electrician
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
I used to work for Home Depot, the aftersales services in Appliances is not very good. Lowes is better for aftersales service.

I should know, being an electrician
I bought my stuff from Sears.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a couple of questions, so rather than post individual threads, thought I'd combine them onto one!

Hopefully you'll be able to help me on a few points.

a) Do you recycle everything? <<snip>>
The city of Durham picks up every week the following:
paper (inc. newspaper, brochures, catalogs but not phone directories)
corrugated cardboard (flattened and there's a maximum size allowed)
plastics (1,2, 5 & 7. Not bags or containers where the opening is bigger than the base)
cans (soda, tin cans)
glass

In addition, we pay $60.00 p/year to have our yard waste picked up. e.g. grass clippings, leaves, small branches. This charge will be dropped next year.

b) Which washer did you buy? <<snip>>
You were given inaccurate advice that top loaders are more economical. They are not. A front loader is the way to go. They use less water, less electricity and less detergent. The initial outlay for the machine will be higher but over the years, you'll make up the cost and start saving money.

I have Maytag Neptune 6500 (I think that's the model). This is the middle model in the range and has a water heater. If you live in NE, midwest or N of the country, this is a must. Please search for my posts on front loaders.

Also, the laundry comes out drier than a top loader so if you do wish to use a dryer, it won't need so long as for a top loader. i.e. you use less electricity.

I rarely use a dryer. I have two liners where I air dry my laundry.

c) Which washing detergent do you use and why?
With a front loader, it's appropriate to use "higher efficiency" aka HE detergents. I use a perfume and dye free detergent made by Sears. It's more expensive than regular detergent for top loaders but as I mentioned previously, I use less than I would for top loaders. A huge tub (powder for whites) lasts 120 loads and the bottle (liquid for darks) lasts maybe 60.

d) Do you compost your food waste? <<snip>>
No. I don't use the food compactor that is part of the sink either.

e) Which dishwasher tablets do you use and does your dishwasher take salt? <<snip>>
I don't use tablets, I use liquid. I don't use that stuff that makes the glassware squeaky clean either. I buy Cascade or the equivalent at Costco.

I've not heard of a dishwasher using salt in the US. Maybe it's used in the UK to counteract hard water?
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

This is the one we got http://www.maytag.com/catalog/produc...arch=mtw6600tq .. only I'm not sure if it's the washer itself, my use of it or just a faulty machine which is causing the washing to not be as clean as I'm used to??
I have a washer and dryer which are over 30 yeras old and are Maytag,My husband bought them rebuilt when he came back before me in 1990,I have had the repair man out twice during that time wash in cold water with concentrated All which works fine.You may have hard water that may require a different detergent maybe thats why the clothes are not getting clean.
Here where I live I am just in the county line so no recycling,As to throwing food on the garden it would probably attract Bears and Racoons and no telling what else.
Lynne in Idaho
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
With a front loader, it's appropriate to use "higher efficiency" aka HE detergents. I use a perfume and dye free detergent made by Sears. It's more expensive than regular detergent for top loaders but as I mentioned previously, I use less than I would for top loaders. A huge tub (powder for whites) lasts 120 loads and the bottle (liquid for darks) lasts maybe 60.
Thanks Penguin .. whole post very helpful. They took my top loader machines away yesterday and the new front loaders (LGs) are arriving on Wednesday. Don't know what I'll do in the meantime - I'm a bit of an avid washer on the quiet!

Didn't know about the HE detergents, so will look out for them now. And I like seperate powders/liquid for whites and non-fading stuff for colours.

Thanks again .. very helpful.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Penguin .. whole post very helpful. They took my top loader machines away yesterday and the new front loaders (LGs) are arriving on Wednesday. Don't know what I'll do in the meantime - I'm a bit of an avid washer on the quiet!

Didn't know about the HE detergents, so will look out for them now. And I like seperate powders/liquid for whites and non-fading stuff for colours.

Thanks again .. very helpful.
HE detergents are now available in grocery stores and places like Target (they weren't when I bought my front loader two years ago so this gives you an indication that Americans are catching onto front loaders). However, I've not found perfume and dye free varieties of HE detergent in those places so that's why I've been sticking to the Sears brand. It's not always in stock at my local Sears so when I find it, I buy in bulk.

A useful site for all things laundry, especially front loaders and HE detergents, have a look at this-

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laun...e=Laundry+Room

NC Penguin
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs down Not happy - no smalls!

Even though I told the store I wouldn't be here, GE tried to deliver our machines this morning at 09.15 - just when I was sweating buckets on the treadmill in class.

Managed to get through to the driver and literally begged him to come back!

We've been without washing facilities since Friday and we're going on holiday on Saturday, so desperately need the machines.

Are there launderettes in Houston? I've just googled and there don't seem to be any. Sorry, not google, white pages. What do people do here? Take their smalls etc. to the dry cleaner? I've not noticed a launderette anywhere nearby, so I'm thinking they must do.

:curse:

Last edited by Mandana; Jul 25th 2007 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not happy - no smalls!

Even though I told the store I wouldn't be here, GE tried to deliver our machines this morning at 09.15 - just when I was sweating buckets on the treadmill in class.

Managed to get through to the driver and literally begged him to come back!

We've been without washing facilities since Friday and we're going on holiday on Saturday, so desperately need the machines.

Are there launderettes in Houston? I've just googled and there don't seem to be any. Sorry, not google, white pages. What do people do here? Take their smalls etc. to the dry cleaner? I've not noticed a launderette anywhere nearby, so I'm thinking they must do.

:curse:

i think i've seen launderettes on richmond however they are usually located in the not so nice areas so be careful. you can always bring them to me although i am right inside the loop and quite a way from you but at least you will go on holiday with clean clothes!

just a little tip on deliveries for future, you will find if you ask the company to call you 30mins before delivery the driver will do that...always works for me

check out this page...http://aolsearcht5.search.aol.com/ao...nType=spelling

Last edited by TruBrit; Jul 25th 2007 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i think i've seen launderettes on richmond however they are usually located in the not so nice areas so be careful. you can always bring them to me although i am right inside the loop and quite a way from you but at least you will go on holiday with clean clothes!

just a little tip on deliveries for future, you will find if you ask the company to call you 30mins before delivery the driver will do that...always works for me

check out this page...http://aolsearcht5.search.aol.com/ao...nType=spelling
I did tell them to call before - an hour before.

And I even rang the store at 8 am to tell them I wouldn't be home. It was on the docket for the delivery men to call me. But they didn't. Until they were outside. Arses.

Thanks for the offer of your machine - really appreciate that!

They tell me they will be here at 8 am on Friday now. If they're not I'm buggered again as I'll be out most of the day from 8.30

Did I say arses?! :curse:
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I did tell them to call before - an hour before.

And I even rang the store at 8 am to tell them I wouldn't be home. It was on the docket for the delivery men to call me. But they didn't. Until they were outside. Arses.

Thanks for the offer of your machine - really appreciate that!

They tell me they will be here at 8 am on Friday now. If they're not I'm buggered again as I'll be out most of the day from 8.30

Did I say arses?! :curse:

You will be very very fortunate if they do turn up at 8am......good luck I hope it all works out for you.