Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A few questions about American friends...

A few questions about American friends...

Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A few questions about American friends...

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
On the other hand........... when we go to the UK Kate seems to get cold shouldered or abused by people, She has been insulted in loads of places just because she is American :curse:
People in the UK seem to blame her for G W Bushes actions and the war in Iraq and elsewhere............ SHE'S A US CITIZEN ! .... NOT THE US GOVERNMENT FFS :curse:

How would Brits feel if when they came over for a holiday they were greeted with abuse ?
Ive seen this too, its really sad, I thought it was over the Iraq war, but its not like us citizens have anything to do with it.

I find the people very friendly to talk to, but I seem to hit a brick wall with getting any further. Its a funny small place we live in, everyone assumes we are tourists too, whcih really annoys me :curse:
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:34 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I find people here more friendly than in the UK.
For years before moving here I would spend holidays in the area, I made lots of local friends, one of whom I actually think of as my brother ! ... He's the best friend I ever had. I find wherever I go people go out of their way to befriend me. I work for a company that runs 1,000 trucks, only 2 of us are English, I have not met any unfriendly people yet.
People in my small town are far friendlier than back home.

On the other hand........... when we go to the UK Kate seems to get cold shouldered or abused by people, She has been insulted in loads of places just because she is American :curse:
People in the UK seem to blame her for G W Bushes actions and the war in Iraq and elsewhere............ SHE'S A US CITIZEN ! .... NOT THE US GOVERNMENT FFS :curse:

How would Brits feel if when they came over for a holiday they were greeted with abuse ?
hey but finally, dont bother going back, i dont anymore. i'd rather spend my hard earned money on some sunny tropical beach or in the jungles of costa rica. cut your losses mate, it's a lost cause.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
.....I find the people very friendly to talk to, but I seem to hit a brick wall with getting any further........
This appears to be a common experience.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Ive seen this too, its really sad, I thought it was over the Iraq war, but its not like us citizens have anything to do with it.

I find the people very friendly to talk to, but I seem to hit a brick wall with getting any further. Its a funny small place we live in, everyone assumes we are tourists too, whcih really annoys me :curse:
the citizens voted for the president so therefore they are ultimately to blame. who else voted the neo-cons in? the neighbours cat?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:45 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
the citizens voted for the president so therefore they are ultimately to blame. who else voted the neo-cons in? the neighbours cat?
Bush did not win the popular vote in 2000, Al Gore did. Had Gore actually become president instead of Bush, who knows what would have happened in 2004.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:46 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The Electoral College elected the president, not the citizens. Never has the difference seemed so acute as with Bush.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Bush did not win the popular vote in 2000, Al Gore did. Had Gore actually become president instead of Bush, who knows what would have happened in 2004.

~ Jenney
But Bush did *win* in 2004...

Whichever way you look at it, around half the voting population of the US voted for Bush, not once but twice.

I have to admit that this has affected the way I view not just the US as a country but also its citizens. Though I always try to tread carefully and keep an open mind.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Whichever way you look at it, around half the voting population of the US voted for Bush, not once but twice.

I have to admit that this has affected the way I view not just the US as a country but also its citizens. Though I always try to tread carefully and keep an open mind.
Well we voted for blair so we cant throw buns can we now?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:54 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Very true, but if the Dems had some guts and put up someone more useful than Kerry, it might not have happened a second time.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:58 pm
Homebody

Well we voted for blair so we cant throw buns can we now?
Blair and his cronies are not representative of the Labour Party...

And I think we should not let the Iraq debacle cloud the whole record of the past 10 years.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

~ Jenney
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Its something that happens not just to foreign transplants but any transplants. My daughter, USC, married a man from Mississippi. She has the same problem you have and has experienced that while living in Florida and in Vegas.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:55 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

How the heck do you make freinds with them??? Whenever we try they never get into a chat and seem too shallow. They all seem happy with their lot, why would they want more friends?

What are they like? is it true that you can mistake them for your best friend by their actions, when really they see you as more of an aquaintance

Are any of the women actually nice!

What are the kids like, are they very materialistic?

Plus lots more questions I cant think of, so feel free to fill in the gaps with your own comments!
We have been here since Oct 2005 and we have met lots and lots of people who obviously started out as passing acquaintances but so many of them have become friends.
There are materialistic people who have materialistic kids and there are people who are obnoxious but no more than in the UK.

Perhaps it's where I live. I do bash Pittsburgh a lot but it is a really friendly city. A lot of people we have met were born and bred here and all their family is still in the city and so they are very busy and it's hard to include other people.

I think we have more friends here than we did in the UK. I find here that everyone works hard at their friendships and nothing seems to be too much trouble.
Teenagers...give me the ones here anyday. They are polite, articulate, community spirited and great to be with.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hmpf. Nice way to wreck MY morning. Don't know why I bother.

Good for those of you who could come in and make your point well.

Personally, I think you get back what you put out. Put that in your 'shallow' pipe and smoke it.

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 9th 2007 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:14 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by meauxna
hmpf. Nice way to wreck MY morning. Don't know why I bother.

Good for those of you who could come in and make your point well.

Personally, I think you get back what you put out. Put that in your 'shallow' pipe and smoke it.

What's up, Mo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.