Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fergie + Daughter in Manhatten...

Fergie + Daughter in Manhatten...

Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fergie + Daughter in Manhatten...

Originally Posted by janj
Right - on top of anything you might have paid out to the Kaplan family or any other test prep agency to prepare you for the tests It's a bottomless pit.

Princetown Review Test Prep in NYC is close on $1400, thats for classroom setting. One on One tution is, I think $4,000.00.
Reg.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
OMG tell me about it! One of mine sat his SAT without any preparation whatsoever. Even though he is exceptionally bright (> 99th percentile), he got a mediocre score. He is resitting it next month but still has barely looked at the study book.
Honestly, once you do a few analogies and figure out the twisted way the test composers' minds work, and that shouldn't be hard for a bright child to do, there's really not much more study unless you wanna cram some vocab in. The maths doesn't even begin to decently address trig, let alone calculus.

I think that practising taking the test in public settings is good for those who have test anxiety -- so Kaplan et al may be good for them -- but it is also possible to just pay the damn money to take the test and NOT report the scores -- at least it used to be, because there are enough versions of the test to retake it several times. That's far cheaper than Kaplan.

I'd give the same advice about the GRE (which gets one into grad school) -- study?! if you don't know it, you won't know it. But the LSAT is a test you have to learn to take.

PS how on earth would they find out a student's immigration status? If your GCs were in process and the kid would have had one in a reasonable amount of time why not just say you are? would immigration slap your wrists?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
PS how on earth would they find out a student's immigration status? If your GCs were in process and the kid would have had one in a reasonable amount of time why not just say you are? would immigration slap your wrists?

Oh, I think one would have to be exceptionally brave! It's is printed in large, very bold letters that accepting the award would be considered fraud and would be prosecuted!! :scared:

After all I've heard of how people who innocently 'ticked the wrong box' re. US citizenship are at risk of reportation, I wouldn't want to go there...
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I did no prep, my grades sucked and I got stoned the night before the SAT. Well, four hours before the test. That tells you about the mindset of some teenagers.

(I did qualify for NMS.)
Sounds like my "O" level exam weeks. I haven't a clue as to how I got through them all intact (all 10 of them!).