Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84
Rich -thanks for the reply...ABSOLUTELY the purpose of this thread...the pro's and con's need to be weighed up thoroughly.

If leaving him with the inlaws is then best option... (chelsea - their cat is 15yrs old and could suprise us yet but it's unlikely he will be around for all that much longer) then this would be a lovely home for our cat and he would be well looked after.

The immigration period is likely to be end of the year beginning of the next so that needs to be kept in mind.., the licence (anyone have ideas on cost in FL) and the shots are no big deal for bringing him with us....my little girl would miss him terribly...the type of house we would be looking for would include either a small pool or at the least a netted yard that he could play in so it may not be all bad....
Where we plan to live in Florida the Cat Licence is $20 per year and you can only get one by presenting a valid rabies certificate. From memory..taking him to the US vet and getting the rabies shot and a general check-up is around $50. I'm bringing him to his UK on Friday to get his rabies shot here. Hopefully its not too expensive! We plan to let our cat be outdoors in FL as he would go crazy being forced to stay inside...but...i'd say after a few weeks in the Florida heat and a few bites from Red Ants he may not want to be such an outdoor kitty anyway....
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
This is only the beginning...believe me. Life here is very different to the UK...wait until you have to deal with medical issues.

I don't know about cats but dogs have annual injections for heart worm. It's spread by mozzies (I believe the mozzies in Texas are the size of small birds )...they are very long and live in the heart...eventually causing death.
Jersey> I expect the same applies for cats...I guess what I need is a cat person...in Florida...with all the state specifc answers...

Any takers?! LOL!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:39 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is a dog but the prices are probably about the same! We were about 250 pounds a month ago for the pet passport and rabies. The rabies shot I don't remember being too expensive but the bloodtest to confirmed it had worked was.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:41 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Jersey> I expect the same applies for cats...I guess what I need is a cat person...in Florida...with all the state specifc answers...
We're not in FL, but I can tell you - in addition to federal and state laws, you'll need to check the code of ordinances for the city you're moving to.

For example, in our city, it's illegal to let a cat outdoors unless it's on a leash. You might think that's silly, but the people who work at our local animal control don't seem to care for cats. Let your cat out and, if they spot it, it'll be nabbed and euthanised before you've even had a chance to post a "Lost Pet" advert.

That's assuming the coyotes don't get it, as we think happened to my friend Oscar, who lived next door and used to climb up on the fence and look in my study window, to see if I was coming out to play.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about cats but dogs have annual injections for heart worm. It's spread by mozzies (I believe the mozzies in Texas are the size of small birds )...they are very long and live in the heart...eventually causing death.
Like dogs, cats take a monthly pill (usually a chewable) to avoid heartworm. There has to be a blood test first, to ensure that no heartworms are present before medication starts. (It used to be daily -- at least there have been some advances!) Other things to consider are fleas and ticks -- your cat will need protection against these, a product like Frontline, which works well, but is very expensive.

Don't underestimate the necessity for rabies protection -- it is carried by many animals, such as raccoons, coyotes, bats -- and if your pet comes into contact with a rabid animal and does not have the rabies shot, it will be euthanized and everyone who has come into contact with the cat will have to take a course of rabies shots.

As to cats going outdoors in FL, I understand that besides becoming lunch for coyotes, there are hungry alligators to consider . . .
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

good lord... sod the cat, i'm worrying about myself moving out there with all those nasties and costs and rules and regulations instead of an indoor cat... i'm gonna be an indoor girl
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing the effects of rabies really makes you appreciate having lived on a rabies-free island -- and understand why the regulations for bringing animals into the UK are so stringent, so as to keep it that way!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Again I know the following is true for dogs...I assume it applies to cats too.

Anyone who is getting their pet's rabies shots in the UK...check with your state to find out what type of vaccine is required ie live vaccine or not. UK vets will not know you have to check out the state requirements.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 16th 2010 at 3:39 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Again I know the following is true for dogs...I assume it applies to cats too.

Anyone who is getting their pet's rabies shots in the UK...check with your state to find out what type of vaccine is required ie live vaccine or not. UK vets will not know you have to check out the state requirements.
Would it be viable that humans get an immunisation as well? I can't recall it in the UK because as you say rabies has been eliminated here, but it makes you wonder if that travel authorities should put it on as a required shot before travel to the US?!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Would it be viable that humans get an immunisation as well? I can't recall it in the UK because as you say rabies has been eliminated here, but it makes you wonder if that travel authorities should put it on as a required shot before travel to the US?!
It isn't just a shot, it's a series of shots, and they aren't very pleasant. People who work in veterinary hospitals and suchlike have to have them, but otherwise it isn't something that is needed by everyone.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It isn't just a shot, it's a series of shots, and they aren't very pleasant. People who work in veterinary hospitals and suchlike have to have them, but otherwise it isn't something that is needed by everyone.
Exactly.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Jersey> I expect the same applies for cats...I guess what I need is a cat person...in Florida...
Ray will be along shortly.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

We are taking our cat and dog to Florida in 6 weeks.
Both are inoculated against rabies which as far as I am aware is mandatory in all states.
Yes there are problems with heartworm, gators, snakes etc. be aware of ticks, they are rife where I stay. Frontline seems to work well but check your animals regularly for them.
My vet told me to use Advocate for heartworm and a lots of other nasty things, it’s applied the same as Frontline but I don’t think it is available in the US.
Coyotes will kill snakes but like gators they can’t climb trees.
As for $20 or so for a cat license, ridiculous!
My best advice is to talk to your vet before you leave.
For the actual entry requirements, I talked directly to the customs livestock department at the port of entry.
Good luck.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by audio
We are taking our cat and dog to Florida in 6 weeks.
Both are inoculated against rabies which as far as I am aware is mandatory in all states.
Yes there are problems with heartworm, gators, snakes etc. be aware of ticks, they are rife where I stay. Frontline seems to work well but check your animals regularly for them.
My vet told me to use Advocate for heartworm and a lots of other nasty things, it’s applied the same as Frontline but I don’t think it is available in the US.
Coyotes will kill snakes but like gators they can’t climb trees.
As for $20 or so for a cat license, ridiculous!
My best advice is to talk to your vet before you leave.
For the actual entry requirements, I talked directly to the customs livestock department at the port of entry.
Good luck.

That's what Americans say about our TV licence
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

I have had 4 cats over the years that were outdoor cats and became indoor cats with no problems. Three of them were rescue cats that had always been outdoors and the other one became an indoor cat after he climbed up into an engine compartment of a car and the owner didn't know. It was very nasty and expensive but he lived to tell the tale... Cats adapt to being indoors much better than you would think and they live much healthier, longer lives. Just make sure you have scratch pads of some sort around or your furniture might suffer! I would never have an outdoor cat again, and its for the animals benefit, not mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.