Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling very down about the whole thing

Feeling very down about the whole thing

Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling very down about the whole thing

Originally Posted by MadRad
Wow, so many replies! It is really reassuring to know that I'm not alone.

I've got an L2 visa, so I will be able to work once I get an EAD. However, on that front I'm really torn. I was made redundant from a very stressful job in financial services where the long hours and long commute eventually wrung me out. So it was a blessed relief to escape (not that it felt like it at the time)! A few months later, I developed a life threatening illness. That was a real turning point. I took a job (instead of a career), which has been good as it's busy but I can switch off from it. So when the opportunity came up to move to the US we decided 'life's too short not to'.

So when we do move, I don't know whether to look for a job, a career, or to do voluntary work. Having been through masses of stress in the past, I'm not sure I want to commit to a job where I'm then restricted to 2 weeks holiday a year! However, I can't help feeling that I want to do something fulfilling and rewarding. I've got 2 degrees, but am contemplating going to uni again, though I'm not sure what to do, possibly teaching, or something healthcare-related.

As you can see, I'm pretty confused just now. I know I'm very very lucky to even have these choices. But I'm also aware of all the good things I'm leaving behind, and that is going to be really hard. At the moment all I seem able to think about is what I'm going to miss.

Sorry to be so depressing. The move is getting so close and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming.
You're not being depressing at all, no apologies needed
I'm sure, as others have said, things will be easier once you've told your work that will be a huge relief.

Where in Colorado are you moving to?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So you have plenty of options - wonderful! I'm pushing the 'job' angle because it's a ready source of human interaction. Uni, teaching, volunteering, part-time work - they will all fit the bill of keeping you from getting bored, and also, thrusting you into your new community. My job is 'demanding' (time wise) but I love it, and I don't see it as a 'job' - it's like I'm being paid to do what I would do for free (not everyday, but most days) - but not everyone is that lucky.

Keep us posted how it goes!
Agreed, as long as it's a job you like, of course, with good people.

My profession is pretty close to 24/7/365 (don't laugh; everyone thinks university academics only work 7 months or so a year, but it's simply not true). Some jobs (e.g., my last one in the States), I'd skip down the driveway to work (I lived across the street), skip back home (where I'd do more work), skip into the lab at weekends, constantly interacting with and helping students who had respect and wanted to learn and were generally "good kids". [I wouldn't literally skip, but I'd definitely have a skip in my stride]

Other jobs, the ridiculous "busy work" would be mind-numbing, the constant last-minute requests, and tasks beyond your skill set, forever dealing with change (not in a good way), colleagues who really were not collegial, dealing with support staff who were obstructive, bitter and twisted, ... now that is my description of a living hell. Keeping occupied did not equal keeping happy in that job, I'd rathar have been stuck at home mowing the lawn and doing vacuuming every day. At least I could listen to Terry Wogan. [I know that is other poeple's private idea of hell]

So, as an earlier post implied (I think it was this thread), take the job you like, not the job that pays more but causes untold stress.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
My profession is pretty close to 24/7/365 (don't laugh; everyone thinks university academics only work 7 months or so a year, but it's simply not true)
Isn't that so annoying? People always assume my husband takes the whole summer off and lives a David Lodge type of existence.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Isn't that so annoying? People always assume my husband takes the whole summer off and lives a David Lodge type of existence.
My Dad was an exterminator during the summers.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

, dealing with support staff who were obstructive, bitter and twisted,
You're in academia all right... no matter what question I ask of the support staff (with one exception), the answer is always "no".
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Years ago when Mrs Bill was telling her friends about our engagement, a few of them responded "Wow, he's a university researcher? That means you'll be able to quit your job"!

She nearly passed out from laughter...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:23 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
You're in academia all right... no matter what question I ask of the support staff (with one exception), the answer is always "no".
Saw an interesting article the other week, about the perils of trying to get work in academia. Graduate School in the Humanities: Just Don't Go.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Our department secretary simply hangs up on me fairly frequently, usually when I am asking her to do something. She's been like that for about 20 years, apparently (though I think I get special treatment).
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, as long as it's a job you like, of course, with good people.
So, as an earlier post implied (I think it was this thread), take the job you like, not the job that pays more but causes untold stress.
My point was, the OP sounds like she has PLENTY of options - doesn't sound like she has to work for money, so she can choose any job, or no job - volunteer, part-time, or stay home and smell the roses ... Nice to have that flexibility!

Our department secretary simply hangs up on me fairly frequently, usually when I am asking her to do something. She's been like that for about 20 years, apparently (though I think I get special treatment).
In another thread, we are talking about 'workers rights' in the US vs. UK ... this would tend to exemplify why some of the protections in the UK are a bit too 'worker friendly! . Everyone should have a sense that they could lose their jobs if they don't perform ...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:47 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
In another thread, we are talking about 'workers rights' in the US vs. UK ... this would tend to exemplify why some of the protections in the UK are a bit too 'worker friendly! . Everyone should have a sense that they could lose their jobs if they don't perform ...
Except - most public sector jobs in the US are like that. Look at what happens every time somebody has the bright idea of suggesting that teachers should actually be able to teach, for example, or consider the DMV, for another.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
or consider the DMV, for another.
Do we have too?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm moving to Fort Collins. Someone mentioned a great dance scene there - any more info on that? I used to be really into ballroom and latin american dancing - I was a competitor for about 12 years, and would love to get back into it.

Any other pointers on Fort Collins would be very welcome!

I guess deep down I lack confidence, which is why change scares me witless!

Last edited by MadRad; Jan 13th 2010 at 8:38 pm. Reason: Extra info
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My Dad was an exterminator during the summers.
In my neck of the woods schoolteachers are traditionally house painters during the summer.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm moving to Fort Collins. Someone mentioned a great dance scene there - any more info on that? I used to be really into ballroom and latin american dancing - I was a competitor for about 12 years, and would love to get back into it.

Go to flickr.com and look for pictures of the Rocky Mountain National park, it's about an hour from Fort Collins. You're going to be living in a very nice part of the USA, the scenery is stunning round there.

If you weren't an outdoorsy type before then you'll need to get a pair of hiking boots and become one!

City Data is a good forum for getting specific info on your new town, here's the link to the Fort Collins forum. Haven't used this myself, but you could try meet up or the meet up section of British Expats to see if there are any living in your area who could give you some helpful pointers.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:27 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Your best bet for ballroom and latin american dancing is going to be Boulder & Denver. Fort Collins is about 1 to 1.5 hrs from each respectively.

Fear of the unknown is scary but its important not to allow it to inhibit you.

I came here back in 95 with literally 2 suitcases and not knowing anyone and didn't know anything about the area.. it was sorta a spin on the globe and stopping on Colorado.
You mentioned volunteering.. that is an excellent thing to start on many levels, it forces you out of the house per se, meeting people and starting somewhat of a network... which is key imo. Its a question of seeking out like minded people and there are plenty of resources to do just that. Besides, you need to start from somewhere so create and make a starting point! Be open minded and willing to try new things... to begin with anyway!
Car is essential as someone mentioned, 'nuff said.

Colorado is the outdoors persons' paradise, there is quite alot to do here and to keep you occupied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.