Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Wikiposts

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Originally Posted by AloneinOregon
American women tend to like my accent and then want to know how much money I earn! I don’t think I’ve been on a date with one yet who was willing to even buy me a beer after I had paid $150 for a steak dinner!

I am all for being a gentlemen, but you know when she doesn’t even make an offer to contribute to anything after 2/3 dates and pushes the bill towards me while fluttering her eyelids I tend to loose interest fast.

So many American ladies I have met act like little spoilt Princesses!

I miss the English………..
You're meeting the wrong American girls. It is NOT okay to ask how much money you earn. Date over. Check please.

I thought it was nice to be treated to dates occasionally, but dated a man once who insisted on paying for EVERYTHING. It made me feel like I couldn't suggest what I might really want to do - because I was always trying to keep the budget down.

You should meet some nice girls I hope. The behavior you've described isn't typical of any of my American girlfriends. Maybe that's why I'm friends with them vs. the girls you've run into.

Best of luck and welcome. We're flying into Portland in a couple of weeks on vacation. I'll wave at you as I land. (But sorry - I'm a Yank so no familiar accent here.)
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:26 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I do a lot as well!

good answer But is your OH here in BE.. whats his name?
Yeah, he is, he's an old-timer compared to me on BE, 'cos I am so shy ... dbj1000, the one with the picture of a strange, shrunken head...(don't ask me why!!! he just likes it!!!)
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:29 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
You're meeting the wrong American girls. It is NOT okay to ask how much money you earn. Date over. Check please.

I thought it was nice to be treated to dates occasionally, but dated a man once who insisted on paying for EVERYTHING. It made me feel like I couldn't suggest what I might really want to do - because I was always trying to keep the budget down.

You should meet some nice girls I hope. The behavior you've described isn't typical of any of my American girlfriends. Maybe that's why I'm friends with them vs. the girls you've run into.

Best of luck and welcome. We're flying into Portland in a couple of weeks on vacation. I'll wave at you as I land. (But sorry - I'm a Yank so no familiar accent here.)
So agree with you! I HATE girls like that what is with that?
And have I seen or heard to many stories on TV etc where the man proposes with the ring and the girl looks at it first ...its like if its not right I'll say no?

You are marrying the guy not the ring!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:07 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I am sure everyone has washed
FLIRTY IB, not filthy lol

Manc, I give up. They're all a bunch of hussies
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:19 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali_j
Yeah, he is, he's an old-timer compared to me on BE, 'cos I am so shy ... dbj1000, the one with the picture of a strange, shrunken head...(don't ask me why!!! he just likes it!!!)
oh I didn't know that ..don't be shy I was once and finally came out of my shell..it has only taken about 3 yrs

Originally Posted by Redlippie
FLIRTY IB, not filthy lol

Manc, I give up. They're all a bunch of hussies
so my lame attempt at humour was even more lame as I was blind as a bat
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:23 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

don't be shy I was once and finally came out of my shell..

I'll say!

Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

AloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers again everyone for the responses, What a nice bunch! I'd like to answer some of the comments:

I cant remember all the names so i will just reply with what i read

I'm going to be in the USA for at least another 2 years, Im lucky to have this job, and if im honest i struggled a bit with mortgages/Cost of Living back home before i left. Living in the US gives me allot of financial freedom. I have a lovely apartment, and TBH a great standard of living (besides being lonely and bored sometimes). I do plan on returning home though, once i've saved enough to get "back on the ladder". But i want to give America a go, i honestly think if i had a group of friends and more social life it would work for me.

To the bloke who said moving downtown would be a good idea, I agree. But the problem is i'm an on-call Engineer and live close to where i work. Also the traffic is terrible downtown, and although i could afford a smallish pad it would still be about 3X the cost of living only 10 miles outside.

KJ2007 - Thanks, your right im sure there is lots of decent girls about. I've been on about 5 dates here so far (not many!), But haven't had much luck. It usually starts off OK (i can take the "how much do you earn thing and laugh" but then i end up being either a personal banker/Taxi service (2 didnt drive and they were in there 30's!), or just feeling like im being taken for a ride. I'm sorry but i do have the impression American girls are very materialistic. But its silly to tarnish everyone with the same brush.

At the end of the day, if i was courting a lass and i really liked her. I wouldnt care if she lived in a mud hut!. Maybe its because i am reasonably successful for my age and dont need someone to keep me/be on the same level as me career wise.......i dunno.

Anyway i'm looking into Football coaching at the moment, seems there is an under 8's team right down the road from me..........That would get me out of the house for a few hours a week at least, and i dont mind gobby kids as long as i can give them back

Manc -

Soul - Thanks for the link, I might give that a shot!, :-)

Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:31 pm

Cheers again everyone for the responses, What a nice bunch! I'd like to answer some of the comments:

I cant remember all the names so i will just reply with what i read

I'm going to be in the USA for at least another 2 years, Im lucky to have this job, and if im honest i struggled a bit with mortgages/Cost of Living back home before i left. Living in the US gives me allot of financial freedom. I have a lovely apartment, and TBH a great standard of living (besides being lonely and bored sometimes). I do plan on returning home though, once i've saved enough to get "back on the ladder". But i want to give America a go, i honestly think if i had a group of friends and more social life it would work for me.

To the bloke who said moving downtown would be a good idea, I agree. But the problem is i'm an on-call Engineer and live close to where i work. Also the traffic is terrible downtown, and although i could afford a smallish pad it would still be about 3X the cost of living only 10 miles outside.

KJ2007 - Thanks, your right im sure there is lots of decent girls about. I've been on about 5 dates here so far (not many!), But haven't had much luck. It usually starts off OK (i can take the "how much do you earn thing and laugh" but then i end up being either a personal banker/Taxi service (2 didnt drive and they were in there 30's!), or just feeling like im being taken for a ride. I'm sorry but i do have the impression American girls are very materialistic. But its silly to tarnish everyone with the same brush.

At the end of the day, if i was courting a lass and i really liked her. I wouldnt care if she lived in a mud hut!. Maybe its because i am reasonably successful for my age and dont need someone to keep me/be on the same level as me career wise.......i dunno.

Anyway i'm looking into Football coaching at the moment, seems there is an under 8's team right down the road from me..........That would get me out of the house for a few hours a week at least, and i dont mind gobby kids as long as i can give them back

Manc -

Soul - Thanks for the link, I might give that a shot!, :-)

Cheers
well I'm glad we didn't scare you away..glad you don't mind gobby kids as we are a gobby lot here

Hope the girl re you liked will work out. Hope you find something re hobbies etc that will help you out finding friends.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

well I'm glad we didn't scare you away..glad you don't mind gobby kids as we are a gobby lot here

Hope the girl re you liked will work out. Hope you find something re hobbies etc that will help you out finding friends.
Speak for yourself Bru.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you so much for your replies!

Irn-Bru: Well I like to go Mountain Biking, errm to be honest I’m probably your typical English pub dwelling, movie/Football watching, Good time Geezer!! I like good food, good wine and good conversation. I do enjoy going to the countryside/coast and seeing new places but I’m not a really HUGE outdoors person like most people here in the PNW TBH.

I'm actually thinking of teaching US kids to play football (soccer). I was thinking that would be a really fun thing to do. Still finding out how to do it ATM. But there are so many teams and I used to play back in London. Though I am a little bit fatter now! (another thing I blame on America!) *kidding*

Brit-Vic: Thanks for the Welcome! Would be excellent to talk to some English people again I haven’t seen one in 2 years! (Except when I when I go home of course!). American women tend to like my accent and then want to know how much money I earn! I don’t think I’ve been on a date with one yet who was willing to even buy me a beer after I had paid $150 for a steak dinner!

I am all for being a gentlemen, but you know when she doesn’t even make an offer to contribute to anything after 2/3 dates and pushes the bill towards me while fluttering her eyelids I tend to loose interest fast.

So many American ladies I have met act like little spoilt Princesses!

I miss the English………..
Now come on there are quite a few of us Brits here is Portland or in the Metro area. Whereabouts in Portland are you to pay $150 for a steak dinner, perhaps you are trying too hard.

Unfortunately the British group that had regular meets seems to have fallen by the wayside but if you tell me where you are I'll get my daughter-in-law to give me the details of where the singles hang out in Portland. She and her husband took my son to quite a few places when he was over from the UK on his last visit.

Oregon is very much a hunting, shooting, fishing, hiking and other out door activity State.

Have you tried the Horse Brass Pub on Belmont. British beer and I've always manged to find someone to play darts with and the nights I've been there usually a reasonable crowd.

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 16th 2007 at 3:09 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:07 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

New to the forum, I Have been living near Portland, Oregon for about 2 year’s now. It’s actually a really lovely city and nice green state & the weather is just like home!

My only complaint is I find it very hard to find anyone to do anything with!
I'm male 27, so enjoy going out for drinks, chats, music, social stuff really. I do like the wild outdoors but I’m not one who typically camps out in the woods, builds fire and shoots deer on my own. (Though I am sure its fun).

I find Americans in general are very family centric and rarely ever want to socialize outside of the 9-5pm work-day. All my neighbors come home from work and draw the blinds. I'm sure it's probably the same in England but I just never saw it because I had a group of friends & family there.

I like sports (thank god for Fox Soccer Channel!), I go to the gym (sometimes), and even venture in the city centre most weekends to shop/drink/look about. But I never seem to meet anyone guys or girls ………In the gym it’s a crime to talk I think! :-)

Anyone got any suggestions on how to meet people, Other than going to Church?

Cheers
Have you tried hookers? I am sure you dont have to buy them dinner and you can always just talk if you want lol. Or you could just have taters deep for dinner followed by a bombay roll.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Have you tried hookers? I am sure you dont have to buy them dinner and you can always just talk if you want lol. Or you could just have taters deep for dinner followed by a bombay roll.
you old romantic......
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

AloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of light

Lansbury - Really? I've never met a Brit since i've been here. What do you think of Milwaukie?, I went there once to look at cars...interesting place
There was a car place there i would say is the most dodgy i've ever been too! (wont say the name).

I've never been to that pub, I've been to Kels and a quite a few others downtown i will check it out thanks. Also its easy to do 150$ with a few bottle's of wine at Jakes steak house in Portland

Silly-Sod: Not my Cuppa-T, I'm not just looking for sex ........and i wouldnt pay for it even though we all do indirectly in the end!! .

Thanks again for your responses.

Last edited by AloneinOregon; Aug 16th 2007 at 3:29 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:25 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you old romantic......
So they tell me manc me old mate
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:34 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Silly-Sod: Not my Cuppa-T, I'm not just looking for sex ........and i wouldnt pay for it even though we all do indirectly in the end!! .
Well... worst case you can always go to Wanker's Corner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.