Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Wikiposts

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:25 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Hi there

I found the same thing here in Phoenix. I have been here 3 yrs and really don't have any buddies to speak of. I use to organize outings with workmates but at the end of the day, I see enough of them already

I recently joined Meetup.com. There are dozens of different "groups" and the admin plans all kinds of stuff. Hiking, Biking, Drinking, Eating, Movie night.. whatever..Just a suggestion, there may be some groups in your area that would interest you.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I like sports (thank god for Fox Soccer Channel!), I go to the gym (sometimes), and even venture in the city centre most weekends to shop/drink/look about. But I never seem to meet anyone guys or girls ………In the gym it’s a crime to talk I think! :-)

Anyone got any suggestions on how to meet people, Other than going to Church?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Since you enjoy sports, have you thought about coaching kids in sports or perhaps you could join an organized sports league (ie., hockey, soccer, etc) and get to know people that way.....

Welcome by the way.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ali_j
LOL! I haven't delved that deep into this site yet...I just skim the cream off the surface...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=30

there yer go, just click on the link in his post
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:28 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore

Since you enjoy sports, have you thought about coaching kids in sports or perhaps you could join an organized sports league (ie., hockey, soccer, etc) and get to know people that way.....

Welcome by the way.
Originally Posted by AloneinOregon

I'm actually thinking of teaching US kids to play football (soccer). I was thinking that would be a really fun thing to do. Still finding out how to do it ATM. But there are so many teams and I used to play back in London. Though I am a little bit fatter now! (another thing I blame on America!) *kidding*
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was just something TT and I were discussing this morning.
Wrong thread mate we've already done the MOST the BEST the BIGGEST in another thread now this poor Lad will not have a bloody clue WTF we are now talking about.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:30 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Wrong thread mate we've already done the MOST the BEST the BIGGEST in another thread now this poor Lad will not have a bloody clue WTF we are now talking about.
I'd be surprised if the poor lamb has followed us this far
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I'd be surprised if the poor lamb has followed us this far
I have, you bunch of flirty tarts.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:40 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=30

there yer go, just click on the link in his post
Awww, you could have warned me BEFORE I clicked on the link!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

I'm sure you'll find some contacts here - I did thankfully! Without my BE friends, I would have gone round the bend!

Hope it works out for your football training (and dates!)
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Damn, busted again! Ok you caught me not reading the thread before I left a message!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:56 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

OK spill who is the cream
My lovely hubby, of course!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The fact that you said you have to travel to the city center and the behavior of your neighbors would kind of indicate to me you aren't exactly in the best area of town for a single guy to meetup with other folks. Have you considered moving into the city center where there might be a bit more nightlife and social scene?

Also, consider http://www.meetup.com for finding some people with like-minded interests.

It's rough. You can check out the Wiki's section on 'Making Friends'. It's tough and something a lot of people here have gone through before.

Good luck.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Damn, busted again! Ok you caught me not reading the thread before I left a message!
I do a lot as well!

Originally Posted by ali_j
My lovely hubby, of course!
good answer But is your OH here in BE.. whats his name?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
I have, you bunch of flirty tarts.
I am sure everyone has washed
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:21 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, welcome to BE, sent you some more karma. (those little blue boxes, just click on "My Profile" to see what was sent)

As a couple of others have suggested, meetup.com might be a good start: http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/or/portland/

I've met several good friends on meetup, and met my best friend in bellydance classes. Neither of us goes anymore, but we're still great friends.

Best of luck meeting friends of both sexes. And I'm afraid I do hear you about the princess syndrome. As my hubby says about this type of woman, "they think their shit don't stink".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.