Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

February Vacation

February Vacation

Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:56 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default February Vacation

Has anyone got any suggestions on a good vacation place in February?

We don't want to ski, and don't like beaches. Activity wise, we like cities, museums, national parks, theme parks, good restaurants, pretty much anything, and wouldn't mind staying in a couple of different places and driving to see different things.

It has to be in the U.S. (need new visa's if we leave) and ideally direct flights.

I just can't think of anywhere, we've done most of the obvious places in California, we've been to Florida, Vegas and Hawaii which are the only places I know of that has the sun in February. I thought about New York or Seattle but the weather is obviously crap in both, we'd like to go to Colorado, but too snowy at that time of year.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: February Vacation

Charleston and Savannah. Loads of history, museums, great walkable cities and good restaurants.

You said that you don't like beaches but the coast line between Charleston and Savannah is wonderful. Beaches wide enough to cycle on with pines and deciduous trees right down to the beach area.

Asked a native as to what the winters were like in this part of the world and she said "compared to her home state of Minnesota they don't have one!". Might rain though.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Washington DC? I'd like to go to the Smithsonian and the Natural history museum.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Charleston and Savannah. Loads of history, museums, great walkable cities and good restaurants.

You said that you don't like beaches but the coast line between Charleston and Savannah is wonderful. Beaches wide enough to cycle on with pines and deciduous trees right down to the beach area.

Asked a native as to what the winters were like in this part of the world and she said "compared to her home state of Minnesota they don't have one!". Might rain though.
Thanks, hadn't considered there, will definately take a look

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Washington DC? I'd like to go to the Smithsonian and the Natural history museum.
Yes, I too would love to go to Washington DC, I had looked along with NY and Seattle (forgot to list it.) Unfortunately, they get most of their snowfall in February, and I don't want to get stranded.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

New Orleans.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:31 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago. Lovely city. Eat, drink, bundle up and walk it off.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You've already done Boston haven't you?

If you're not into skiing, might not be much point to Maine, but Portland is lovely in winter and a good central point if you wanted to head to Portsmouth, NH or the mountains there, or Burlington, VT, or western MA. Also not as crazy cold as NYC/Chicago. Possibly.

Though Williamsburg, VA sounds like it might be a fun spot during winter.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Chicago. Lovely city. Eat, drink, bundle up and walk it off.
Again, somewhere else I had ruled out due to the snow. I'm concerned about either not getting there, or not getting back, and don't want to be trapsing through 2 foot of snow every day.

Originally Posted by Bob
You've already done Boston haven't you?

If you're not into skiing, might not be much point to Maine, but Portland is lovely in winter and a good central point if you wanted to head to Portsmouth, NH or the mountains there, or Burlington, VT, or western MA. Also not as crazy cold as NYC/Chicago. Possibly.

Though Williamsburg, VA sounds like it might be a fun spot during winter.
Yes, done Boston and loved it. I'll look at Williamsburg, thanks.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Southern cities would get my vote! That time of the year must be mild and there is probably a lot to see! I'd say Seattle, but the fall is a better time up here, or I should say September when all the kiddies are back in school and the tourists have got back on their buses and/or ships!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Has anyone got any suggestions on a good vacation place in February?

We don't want to ski, and don't like beaches. Activity wise, we like cities, museums, national parks, theme parks, good restaurants, pretty much anything, and wouldn't mind staying in a couple of different places and driving to see different things.

It has to be in the U.S. (need new visa's if we leave) and ideally direct flights.

I just can't think of anywhere, we've done most of the obvious places in California, we've been to Florida, Vegas and Hawaii which are the only places I know of that has the sun in February. I thought about New York or Seattle but the weather is obviously crap in both, we'd like to go to Colorado, but too snowy at that time of year.

Any suggestions?
The Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona in Arizona. February would be beautiful in all those places. Chilly, maybe a bit of snow at the Grand Canyon, but overall mild.

You could drive down through Phoenix, see some museums here, and then keep on going to Tucson...the scenery is totally different in Southern AZ compared to northern AZ. Lots of touristy/historical things to see and do in Tucson.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 19th 2012 at 7:49 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona/Utah. Great food, great national Parks.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona in Arizona. February would be beautiful in all those places. Chilly, maybe a bit of snow at the Grand Canyon, but overall mild.

You could drive down through Phoenix, see some museums here, and then keep on going to Tucson...the scenery is totally different in Southern AZ compared to northern AZ. Lots of touristy/historical things to see and do in Tucson.

Rene
Thanks Rene, been to the Grand Canyon and Phoenix, however Sedona and some national parks as suggested by Tonrob could maybe work

Originally Posted by tonrob
Arizona/Utah. Great food, great national Parks.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:06 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Nashville/Memphis. I'd say chances of snow are slim to none and they both seem fairly touristy to me.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We don't often get snow in February round our way.....come on over and say hi.....might even turn into an excuse for a meetup. Then you can tell everyone how unshit it really is
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
New Orleans.
Someone after my own heart. Wonderful place. Was there last January. We're going back next January too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.