Fat Britain

Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all
Default Fat Britain

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051003...nhealthobesity

"Britain has the fastest-growing problem of obesity in Europe, with cases increasing by almost 400 percent in 25 years. Three-quarters of adults are now either overweight or obese, and the nation's children are catching up."

3/4 overweight? Wtf?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:34 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fat Britain

Originally Posted by Brav
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051003...nhealthobesity

"Britain has the fastest-growing problem of obesity in Europe, with cases increasing by almost 400 percent in 25 years. Three-quarters of adults are now either overweight or obese, and the nation's children are catching up."

3/4 overweight? Wtf?
You do realize this is the USA forum. Maybe you meant to post a link to US obesity?

NC Penguin
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:44 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You do realize this is the USA forum. Maybe you meant to post a link to US obesity?
I do believe that brav is trolling for the comparison. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find a point of disagreement.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:38 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's only fair we share the wealth.......
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

"3/4 of the population are over weight or obese"

Quite a sweeping statement really. For instance, i am "overweight" (by this I mean over what weight I personally find acceptable and comfortable) by about 8 lbs at the moment however thats neither life threatening nor hardly noticable by anyone other than myself and the missus. To be valid that kind of generalisation needs to be qualified with a breakdown of actual categories, eg more than 20lbs over weight, etc. Equally, by which yardstick are they measuring "Overweight"? If you use the grossly inadequate and inaccurate method employed by traditional medicine I should be about 160bs... At this weight I would look like a Cambodian refugee.

Therefore that article is meaningless.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

To be valid that kind of generalisation needs to be qualified with a breakdown of actual categories,
Er, Pizza Hut and McDonalds.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

There was also a study (sadly I cannot find it now) whose findings essentially determined that a slightly overweight man is actually more healthy than a man exactly on the "healthy weight" line drawn through that stupid graph they use.

Personally I have a strange body shape and it doesn't really matter WHAT I do.. I'm always "overweight". I'm 5,10 and I'm supposed to weigh 168->175 lb according to the graphs they have here... a few years ago I did weight this... I looked EXTREMELY ill... I think the 50inch chest kinda sways things tho.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

Equally, by which yardstick are they measuring "Overweight"? If you use the grossly inadequate and inaccurate method employed by traditional medicine I should be about 160bs... At this weight I would look like a Cambodian refugee.

Therefore that article is meaningless.
Strange that, because when I last checked what was supposed to be my healthy weight it worked the other way around. According to my GP in the UK I could gain 20lbs and still be considered as not being overweight!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by USBound
There was also a study (sadly I cannot find it now) whose findings essentially determined that a slightly overweight man is actually more healthy than a man exactly on the "healthy weight" line drawn through that stupid graph they use.

Personally I have a strange body shape and it doesn't really matter WHAT I do.. I'm always "overweight". I'm 5,10 and I'm supposed to weigh 168->175 lb according to the graphs they have here... a few years ago I did weight this... I looked EXTREMELY ill... I think the 50inch chest kinda sways things tho.

Wow! They've up the weights then. I can be 170 odd now then without some doc complaining. Cool.

I still think the article is way too vague and unspecific to be worth more than the normal media pap.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tony126
Er, Pizza Hut and McDonalds.
Well yea, but they arent restricted to the UK.

I have no doubt the population is gaining weight. You only have to look around, but I doubt the 3/4 figure without qualification.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
Wow, looking at those figures, I'm one step away from being Christopher Biggins!!

disclaimer
But not the raving homosexual part.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:59 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

weighing and all that, bunch of bollocks really. I'm 5' 10" and a scouch over 200 lbs. I work out at least 3 times a week have a healthy diet, fit as a fiddle. According to the graphs, I'm 15-20 pounds over weight, last time I weighed 180 pounds was when I was 13?

Body fat is the key, average male should be between 16-22%. Pro body builders get down to less than 2% but can hardly walk up the stairs and are close to killing themselves!